Season 4, Episode 14
Sex And Violence
Sam and Dean enter a small town in Iowa, where three men have inexplicably beaten their wives to death. The guys realize that behind the murders is a Siren, a creature that can take different forms and desperately needs love, compelling people to kill others or themselves as a show of devotion. It looks however you want to it, but when the audience catches glimpses of its' reflection, you can see how dead and ghoulish it really looks.
While investigating, the Winchesters bump into an actual FBI agent, who likes Dean's Impala, goes to the strip club with him, drinks with him and even knows his music. Sam is kept busy by a doctor, and ends up sleeping with her. Dean is convinced she's the Siren and refuses to meet up with Sam in case he's under her spell.
That whole sub-plot was a red herring however, as the FBI agent is actual the Siren. It eventually puts Sam and Dean under its spell and pits the two brothers against each other in a fight to the death. The winner will get to be with it forever.
During the fight, the brothers shout some harsh truths at each other. Dean says he's losing Sam, though whether it happened when he was in hell or before his eyes, he doesn't know, but Sam's keeping secrets and he doesn't like it. Sam retorts that Dean is an angst-ridden Woobie, and all he goes on about is the souls he tortured in hell, boo hoo.Dean is just about to kill Sam with a fireaxe when Bobby arrives and kills the siren.
For this episode = 2 humans and 1 siren.
For the series so far = At least 286 humans (of which 5 were witches), at least 61 demons, 26 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 dog, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 rougarou, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, and 1 wendigo.
- An Axe to Grind
- Big Damn Hero / Conveniently Timed Attack From Behind: Bobby turns up in person just as Dean is about to axe Sam.
- Birds of a Feather: Dean finds Agent Monroe shares his tastes in music and cars.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: The siren convinces its victims to kill the person closest to them to prove their love.
- Bros Before Hoes: Dean complains of being c-blocked by his little bro, because the Hospital Hottie is more interested in Sam than him. Becomes played for drama re Dean's underlying resentment over Sam's involvement with Ruby.
- Cain and Abel
- Cultured Badass: Dean who has read The Odyssey. Sam is surprised.
- Deadpan Snarker: Bobby's response to getting the phone call from Agent Monroe.
- Death Seeker: Adam Benson, who is pleading guilty and fully expecting to receive the death sentence.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Several re the siren and relationships.
- Enthralling Siren
- Fatal Attractor: Lampshaded by Dean but Subverted for once with Sam.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Adam bludgeoning his wife to death.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The siren dies when exposed to its own toxin.
- Hospital Hottie: Cara
- Hypocritical Humor: Sam actually has to talk Dean into going to a strip club, so as to keep an eye on the FBI agent.
Dean: I'm not doing this for you, I'm doing it for the girls.
- Impersonating an Officer: When another FBI agent questions the Winchesters' authority, they give him the number of their 'superior' to confirm who they are. Turns out, Bobby has a bank of phones in his home, each one used to impersonate a different agency (FBI, CDC, Homeland Security, etc).
- Improvised Weapon: Meat tenderizer, fireplace poker, fire axe.
- Indirect Kiss: Not used as ship tease (probably), but rather as a way of infecting Dean.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: The brothers are puzzled when Bobby gives them cider.
Bobby: You boys are driving, aren't you?
- It Amused Me: Why the siren is forcing people to kill their loved ones.
- Fanservice: Finally, a case involving strippers!
- Fan Disservice: The siren revealed in the mirror having sex with Lenny.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Lenny and Belle have sex with Lenny's mom sleeping in the next room. Sam and Cara make out in her office without even adjusting the blinds.
- Not Staying for Breakfast: Belle slips out the moment she hears Lenny bashing his mother's brains out. At the end of the episode, Sam decides not to bother saying goodbye to Cara.
- Oh Crap: "Or she could be passing it through saliva."
- Person as Verb: The siren is making the victims go all "Machurian Candidate".
- Red Herring
- Rule of Three: The owner of the strip club tells Dean he can't keep track of his "exotic dancers".
- Saying Too Much
Dean: You're cool for a fed."
Monroe: Aren't we both feds?"
, but there aren't many as cool as us.
- While under the influence of the siren, Sam and Dean let loose some things they really ought to keep to themselves.
- Shout-Out: The siren uses the names of Disney princesses when posing as a stripper.
- Sound-Only Death: Lenny Bristol walks into his mother's bedroom, closes the door and kills her.
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: The siren's real form is shown in mirrors. One wonders why Dean didn't see it earlier.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting / Gender Bender: The siren.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Dean, big time. Him incorrectly assuming that the Siren is the doctor leads to the real siren controlling both him and Sam.