Next: Supernatural S 04 E 15 Death Takes A Holiday
Season 4, Episode 14
Sex And Violence
Body countFor this episode = 2 humans and 1 siren.For the series so far = At least 286 humans (of which 5 were witches), at least 61 demons, 26 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 dog, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, and 1 wendigo.
- An Axe to Grind: While under the siren's influence, Dean grabs a fire axe and tries to kill Sam with it.
- Big Damn Hero/Conveniently Timed Attack from Behind: Bobby turns up in person just as Dean is about to ax Sam.
- Birds of a Feather: Dean finds Agent Monroe shares his tastes in music and cars.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: The siren convinces its victims to kill the person closest to them to prove their love.
- Bros Before Hoes: Dean complains of being "c-blocked" by his little bro, because the Hospital Hottie is more interested in Sam than him. Becomes played for drama re: Dean's underlying resentment over Sam's involvement with Ruby.
- Cain and Abel: Once again, Sam and Dean are put at odds with each other, and the siren almost drives them to murder.
- Cultured Badass: Dean, who has read The Odyssey. Sam is surprised.
- Deadpan Snarker: Bobby's response to getting the phone call from Agent Monroe.
- Death Seeker: Adam Benson, who is pleading guilty and fully expecting to receive the death sentence.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Several re: the siren and relationships.
- Enthralling Siren: The Monster of the Week is a siren who seduces men and then has them kill their loved ones.
- Fatal Attractor: Lampshaded by Dean but Subverted, for once, with Sam.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Adam bludgeoning his wife to death.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The siren dies when exposed to its own toxin.
- Hospital Hottie: Dr. Cara Roberts, a doctor who fills in as a medical examiner. She immediately starts hitting on Sam and is strongly hinted to be the siren, but isn't.
- Hypocritical Humor: Sam actually has to talk Dean into going to a strip club, so as to keep an eye on the FBI agent.Dean: I'm not doing this for you, I'm doing it for the girls.
- Impersonating an Officer: When another FBI agent questions the Winchesters' authority, they give him the number of their "superior" to confirm who they are. Turns out, Bobby has a bank of phones in his home, each one used to impersonate a different agency (FBI, CDC, Homeland Security, etc).
- Improvised Weapon: Meat tenderizer, fireplace poker, fire ax.
- Indirect Kiss: Not used as ship tease (probably), but rather as a way of infecting Dean. The siren infects its victims through her saliva, and generally a normal kiss does the trick, but in Dean's case it did it by using his flask.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: The brothers are puzzled when Bobby gives them soda.Bobby: You boys are driving, aren't you?
- It Amused Me: Why the siren is forcing people to kill their loved ones.
- Fanservice: Finally, a case involving strippers!
- Fan Disservice: The siren revealed in the mirror having sex with Lenny.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Lenny and Belle have sex with Lenny's mom sleeping in the next room. Sam and Cara do it in her office without even adjusting the blinds.
- Not Staying for Breakfast: Belle slips out the moment she hears Lenny bashing his mother's brains out. At the end of the episode, Sam decides not to bother saying goodbye to Cara.
- Oh, Crap: "Or she could be passing it through saliva."
- Person as Verb: The siren is making the victims go all "Manchurian Candidate".
- Red Herring: Cara almost immediately hits on Sam, has hyacinths in her office, and her last husband died of a heart attack. She's not the siren though.
- Rule of Three: The owner of the strip club tells Dean he can't keep track of his "exotic dancers"."Fake names, fake ID's, fake..." [gestures at chest area]
- Saying Too MuchDean: You're cool for a fed.Monroe: Aren't we both feds?Dean: ...yeah, but there aren't many as cool as us.
- While under the influence of the siren, Sam and Dean let loose some things they really ought to keep to themselves.
- Shout-Out: The siren uses the names of Disney Princesses when posing as a stripper.
- Sound-Only Death: Lenny Bristol walks into his mother's bedroom, closes the door and kills her.
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: The siren's real form is shown in mirrors. One wonders why Dean didn't see it earlier.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting/Gender Bender: The siren can take the shape its victims will find the most attractive.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Dean, big time. Him incorrectly assuming that the Siren is the doctor leads to the real siren controlling both him and Sam.