Previous: Supernatural S 04 E 12 Criss Angel Is A DouchebagRecap of Supernatural
Next: Supernatural S 04 E 14 Sex And Violence
Next: Supernatural S 04 E 14 Sex And Violence
Season 4, Episode 13
After School Special
- Sam: I'm not evil, Dirk. I'm not. And neither were you. Trust me. I've seen real evil. We were scared and miserable, and we took it out on each other—us and everybody else. That's high school. But you suffer through that, and it gets better. I'm just sorry you didn't get a chance to see that...you or Barry.
Body countFor this episode = 1 human and 1 ghost.For the series so far = At least 293 humans (of which 5 were witches), 26 ghosts, 21 demons, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 werewolves, 2 dogs, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shtriga, 1 wendigo, 1 rugaru.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Sam's reaction to Dirk's death and backstory.
- Alpha Bitch: The cheerleader in the beginning.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Played with. Dean's girlfriend seems to be attracted to Dean for this reason but instead likes him for his Jerk with a Heart of Gold qualities. She dumps him when he cheats on her.
- Armor-Piercing Question: The episode ends with the teacher asking: "Are you happy, Sam?"
- Badass Adorable: Despite his size and woobie status, Young Sam can really handle himself in a fight.
- Big Brother Instinct: Dean's reaction when he found out that Sam got punched.Dean: I'll rip his lungs out.
- Blatant Lies: So Dean was studying with that girl in the cupboard. Sure...
- Bloodless Carnage: Mini-Sam takes Dirk apart, giving him several vicious hits, nary a drop of blood.
- Broken Aesop: The fact that we never get to see Dirk being anything but a bully makes the reveal of his own demons fall a bit flat. Some have described the episode as saying any retaliation against a bully makes you just as bad. It doesn't help that there's a timeline issue, with Dirk's father claiming that he was always bullied himself, let it also only seemed to start when Sam beat him up.
- The Can Kicked Him: The first onscreen killing.
- Cool Teacher: Sam's teacher encouraged him to do his own thing, and told him that he didn't have to go into the family business. Not that his advice worked, but still.
- Demonic Possession: But it's a ghost, not a demon.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The ghost makes the nerds do some pretty gruesome things to the popular kids. One girl was beaten bloody and drowned in a toilet for calling a heavyset girl a pig. A jock got his hand sliced up in Home Ec for asking to copy someone's homework.
- Dodgeball Is Hell: Dean injures a kid during his explanation before anyone even starts playing. Another student brings up that their regular teacher doesn't let the class play because the game is too dangerous.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!
- Driven to Suicide: Barry, one of Sam's classmates. Implied with Dirk.
- Groin Attack: The ghost takes this approach with Sam.
- Hourglass Plot: Sam ends up liking the school and being popular, while Dean is discredited of his popularity.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- Incredibly Lame Pun: "Lose-chester" and "Dirk the Jerk".
- I Never Told You My Name: Sam realizes that a student he's talking to is possessed when she calls him by his real name.
- Legal Jail Bait: "Three of the cheerleaders are legal. Guess which ones."
- Mugging the Monster: What Dirk's bullying of Sam (who, by now, has been trained in hunting, weaponry, and martial arts) amounts to.
- New Transfer Student: Due to the Winchester's nomadic, hunting lifestyle, Sam and Dean constantly switch schools.
- Older Than They Look: The actor playing Young Sam looks way too young to be in high school.
- Fridge Brilliance: Sam could have skipped a grade or two given how intelligent he is. And Dirk does make a point of calling him short...
- Furthermore, Barry mentions "only three more years" of high school. Since Dean is a senior and four years older than Sam, that implies that Sam skipped a grade.
- The actor who plays young Sam was twelve or thirteen at the time of filming, which is granted a little young for high school, but only by a couple years, showing that the Coconut Effect is present in regards to what high schoolers look like, as a result of Dawson Casting being the norm. Take a look at any modern high school campus, and you'd be shocked at how young freshman boys look!
- Plus, there's the fact that Sam might not have hit his growth spurt yet. And his classmate Barry looks just as young as him.
- Still, Sam's actor remained the same from the Christmas Episode last season...
- Parental Neglect: Dean's girlfriend is shocked to hear that their father left them for weeks and that they're used to it.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Sam delivers one to the school bully and Dean's girlfriend gives him one about how she's disappointed.
- Ungrateful Bitch: Taylor, the girl at the beginning,who snaps at another student for trying to cheer her up after her Slut-Shaming in the cafeteria and calls her a "fat pig"; she does try to apologize for the comment the next day, but it's too late for that.
- Writers Cannot Do Math: Dean is four years older than Sam, so they never would have been in high school together.
- See Fridge Brilliance above. Also, Dean could quite possibly have repeated a year or two—he's quite clever, but moving schools several times a year does not generally help one's academic performance.
- Also, it's not impossible as much as it's just highly, highly unlikely. A majority of students will celebrate their birthday during the school year. A student can enter high school at 14 and graduate at 18. Barring that, it's possible that Dean simply enrolled so he could keep an eye on Sam.
- Also, seeing how Dean is never seen near a book (or pencil for that matter), he could have been held back and thus been close in grade level to Sam. Or Dean just keeps enrolling to get the cheerleaders...
- It is also possible that Dean and Sam have simply gone through so many schools that they have been placed in earlier or later grades than they should be at their age due to test results in different school systems.
- Your Cheating Heart: Young Dean is caught kissing another girl by his current girlfriend.