Season 4, Episode 15
Death Takes A HolidayWritten by Jeremy Carver.Directed by Steve Boyum.Air Date: March 12, 2009.When people stop dying even after fatal accidents or illnesses in Greybull, Wyoming, Sam and Dean investigate and discover that the local Reaper is missing. They figure out that killing two Reapers is one of the 66 seals, and get Pamela—the blind seer—to turn them into ghosts, so they can try warn the Reapers and stop them being killed.As ghosts, they meet Cole, a kid who was meant to be taken by the Reaper but got left behind when it was kidnapped. He teaches them how to fight and disappear in a quick training montage.Tessa, Dean's Reaper from season two, reappears.Finally the boys track down the demons. It was Alastair, and he manages to kill one of the Reapers, but the boys save Tessa.In the real world, Pamela gets attacked by a demon, who stabs her. She manages to bring Sam back, and he deals with the demon. Pamela can't die yet, however, because Tessa still isn't reaping.Castiel appears to Dean, and tells him they finally had a victory. Cole moves on to the afterlife, and because Tessa is reaping again, Pam just has time to bring Dean back before she dies.
Body countFor this episode = 3 humans, 1 ghost, and 1 reaper.For the series so far = At least 298 humans (of which 5 were witches), 27 ghosts, 21 demons, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 werewolves, 2 dogs, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, and 1 wendigo.
- Astral Projection: Because living humans can't see Reapers, the brothers use this to transform themselves into spirits.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: Castiel capturing Alastair.Dean: What the hell?Castiel: Guess again.
- Call Back: Dean's met Tessa before.
- Continuity Nod: Dean is still upset by what Sam said to him while under the poison of the siren.
- Covert Pervert: Pamela whispers the return code in Sam's ear: "You have got a great ass."
- Death Seeker: Dean has been missing Tessa/Death throughout seasons 2 and 3.
- Death Takes a Holiday, obviously.
- Falling Chandelier of Doom: Used a bit less dramatically than usual, but has the same effect.
- Foreshadowing: "If you think you have good intentions, think again."
- "You know, he doesn't ride a pale horse, but he does have three amigos."
- Go Into the Light: Cole Griffith is persuaded to move on.
- Good Is Not Nice
- Homoerotic Subtext: Dean tests his new intangibility by shoving a hand into Sam's chest.Dean: Am I making you uncomfortable?Sam: Get out of me.Dean: [pulls out his hand] You're such a prude.
- If I Had a NickelReaper: You don't remember me.
- In Memoriam: The entire season to Kim Manners.
- Intangibility: Due to being a spirit.
- Killed Off for Real: Pamela.
- Mind over Matter: Ghosts can move objects and touch people and other ghosts by concentrating and willing it to happen.
- Not What It Looks Like
- Power Perversion Potential: Dean suggests spying on women in Victoria's Secret.
- Remote Yet Vulnerable: Demons attack the Winchesters' bodies while they are occupied with stopping Alastair.
- Shoot the Dog
- Sinister Scythe: Death's Scythe is used to kill Reapers. In a subversion, it's a gardening handtool.
- See You in HellSam: Go to Hell.Alastair: Oh, if only I could. But they just keep sending me up to this Arctic craphole.
- Summoning Ritual: Sam attempts to summon the ghost of Cole Griffith, but is interrupted.
- Take That!: "Yeah, well, Joe the Plumber was a douche."
- Took a Level in Badass: Sam can now see off Alastair.
- "Uh-Oh" Eyes: That roll over in his head. Completely.
- Woman in White: Tessa when fulfilling her duty as a Reaper.
- You Can See Me?