Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 07 E 16 Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
A Federation delegation is being sent to Romulus to brief their government on the status of the war against the Dominion, and Dr. Bashir is tapped to host a few medical seminars. Naturally, he expects to be, and is, tapped by Section 31 to do a little undercover work. He's put a little off his guard, however, when Sloan shows up as a member of the Federation delegation, and Bashir is left with only one person to turn to in order to uncover 31's devious plan.
This episode provides examples of:
- Agree to Disagree:
Sloan: Let's make a deal, doctor. I'll spare you the "ends justify the means" speech and you spare me the "we must do what's right" speech. You and I are not going to see eye to eye on this subject, so I suggest we stop discussing it.
- Altum Videtur: An episode title in Latin, which gets dropped, after which Bashir conveniently translates (see below).
- Batman Gambit: Being found out was part of Sloan's plan to make his man inside Romulus look even better.
- Ross's aneurysm is faked so that Bashir will have no choice but to go to Creetak.
- The Chessmaster: Sloan.
- Continuity Nod: Neral is still a member of the Romulan senate, though he's the praetor now instead of just proconsul.
- Exact Words: Senator Creetak is a Romulan patriot. This does not mean she's a 'good guy', Bashir.
- The Extremist Was Right: Sloan's plan ultimately enables a Section 31 mole (who had pretended to be a critic of the Federation) will have the clout to ensure the Romulans don't back out of the alliance.
- Faking the Dead: Sloan is seemingly vaporized by a Romulan blaster, but he was beamed away a split-second before the blast hit.
- Got Volunteered: Kira volunteers Worf to explain to Martok why his ship gets moved back in the repair queue in favor of the Romulans.
- Sloan does this to Bashir to set his plan in motion.
- I Was Never Here: Invoked by Ross after his "off-the-record" conversation with Bashir.
Ross: This conversation never happened. You're dismissed.
- It's Personal: Part of the ultimate deception is stating that Sloan is a mere Federation intelligence officer who believed Koval assassinated his mentor and wanted revenge.
Koval: You broke the cardinal rule of our profession. You allowed business to become personal.
- No-Sell: Bashir's genetic enhancements make him immune to Romulan mind probes.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Sloan's final conversation with Bashir. He hints at his own failings before pointing out Bashir's.
"The Federation needs men like you, Doctor: men of conscience, men of principle... men who can sleep at night. You're also the reason Section 31 exists. Someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong."
- Space Romans/The Empire: Federation is increasingly resorting to dirty tricks, claiming wartime necessities to justify them, becoming a metaphorical Roman Empire. See the quote below.
- Title Drop: By Admiral Ross, attempting to justify what happened to Julian. He doesn't take it well:
Bashir: "In time of war, the law falls silent." Cicero. So is that what we have become; a 24th century Rome, driven by nothing other than the certainty that Caesar can do no wrong?
- Trespassing to Talk: Sloan does it twice, both at the beginning and the end of the episode, and while Bashir's sleeping.
- Visionary Villain: Sloan stresses that the Romulans are only temporary allies and that they will be the greatest threat to the Federation once the Dominion War is over. That's his motivation behind this plan.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Sloan and Ross. Both want to ensure an outcome where the Dominion doesn't cut a separate peace deal with the Romulans.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Bashir chews Ross out for working with Section 31. Ross admits that he doesn't like it, but it's the only way to help end the war.
- Whole Plot Reference: Sloan's Batman Gambit is familiar to anyone who's read The Spy Who Came In from the Cold.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Bashir - and that's what made him so useful to Section 31 for this particular mission.