Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 07 E 16 Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
A Federation delegation is being sent to Romulus to brief their government on the status of the war against the Dominion, and Dr. Bashir is tapped to host a few medical seminars. Naturally, he expects to be, and is, tapped by Section 31 to do a little undercover work. He's put a little off his guard, however, when Sloan shows up as a member of the Federation delegation, and Bashir is left with only one person to turn to in order to uncover 31's devious plan.
This episode provides examples of:
- Altum Videtur: An episode title in Latin, which gets dropped, after which Bashir conveniently translates (see below).
- Batman Gambit: Being found out was part of Sloan's plan to make his man inside Romulus look even better.
- The Chessmaster: Sloan.
- Got Volunteered: Kira volunteers Worf to explain to Martok why his ship gets moved back in the repair queue in favor of the Romulans.
- Sloan does this to Bashir to set his plan in motion.
- I Was Never Here: Invoked by Ross after his "off-the-record" conversation with Bashir.
Ross: This conversation never happened. You're dismissed.
- Space Romans/The Empire: Federation is increasingly resorting to dirty tricks, claiming wartime necessities to justify them, becoming a metaphorical Roman Empire. See the quote below.
- Title Drop: By Admiral Ross, attempting to justify what happened to Julian. He doesn't take it well:
Bashir: "In time of war, the law falls silent." Cicero. So is that what we have become; a 24th century Rome, driven by nothing other than the certainty that Caesar can do no wrong?
- Trespassing to Talk: Sloan does it twice, both at the beginning and the end of the episode, and while Bashir's sleeping.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Bashir chews Ross out for working with Section 31. Ross admits that he doesn't like it, but it's the only way to help end the war.
- Whole Plot Reference: Sloan's Batman Gambit is familiar to anyone who's read The Spy Who Came In from the Cold.
- You Look Familiar: Koval looks and sounds a lot like the Romulan who brainwashed Geordi into assassinating a Klingon governor. And they both use gadgets that mess with people's minds.