Airdate: August 21, 1999Spongebob and Patrick meet their heroes from their favorite TV show, but they are disappointed to find out that they are retired. This prompts the two to try and get them out of retirement and fight crime again.Spongebob and Patrick meet their heroes from their favorite TV show, but they are disappointed to find out that they are retired. This prompts the two to try and get them out of retirement and fight crime again.The episode begins with another exciting episode of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy handily beating yet another villain with their signature “Raging Whirlpool”. SpongeBob and Patrick, dressed as their heroes, cheer and proceed to play pretend that they’re the real heroes. Using a pair of donuts as rings, they unite and go outside to play with Squidward. But when Squidward as “Reflecto” gets fed up at their playing getting in the way of his tan, he tells them to go to the local retirement home to meet the real ones and get out of his hair. Our dimwitted duo travel to Shady Shoals retirement home and meet their heroes, now two old men who just want their TV fixed. Unswayed by Banacle Boy and the Warden kicking them out and Mermaid Man being sent into panic attacks at the word “evil”, they try their best to remind them of their heroing days, up to and including faking a purse snatching and painting the Invisible Boatmobile (“It’s supposed to be invisible!”). The later turns out to be the last straw as the heroes use their powers to have their fellow elderly form an angry mob and toss them out. This in fact makes them feel young and start heroing again with ‘’ The New Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy’’. The episode ends with Patrick congratulating SpongeBob on a job well done, to which SpongeBob thumbs up and winks to the camera. The End.
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy provide examples of:
- Accidental Marriage: A delusional, senile Mermaid Man, a confused SpongeBob and the warden of Shady Shoals take part in this hilarious exchange.Mermaid Man: Listen up you villains, I wanna eat my meat loaf! Now if you don't get out of here, then with the power invested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife!
Warden: WHAT IS GOING ON IN HERE?!
Mermaid Man: (Talking to the warden, pointing at SpongeBob) You may kiss the bride!
Patrick: (SpongeBob is thrown out of Shady Shoals and rolls home, where Patrick is waiting for him) Did you reunite our heroes?
SpongeBob: No. But I'm married.
- Bad "Bad Acting": Spongebob and Patrick, pretending to be a helpless young woman and a crook, respectively, to get their heroes back into crime fighting. It doesn't work.
- Brick Joke: "DOUGHNUTS!"
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Mermaid Man. Of course, he's probably just senile.
- Cool Old Guy: Spongebob's speech about old people being great as it regards to Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
- Complete with a live-action shot of an actual Cool Old Guy giving him an approving gesture.
- Crazy-Prepared: "Ever alert, Mermaid Man has trained himself to sleep with his eyes open!"
- Expy: Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy are obviously an Expy of Batman and Robin (with an Aquaman twist, of course).
- Funny Background Event:
- When Mermaid Man is attacking the water fountain, one of the other residents can be seen shaking his head in disapproval.
- When Spongebob tells the duo that they're almost finished painting the Invisible Boatmobile, Mermaid Man seems to approve of this. At least until Barnacle Boy yells about how it's supposed to be invisible.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: "It's not me, you old coot!"
- Harmless Villains: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy go out of retirement to put a stop to evil...by stopping two idiots such as Spongebob and Patrick.
- Rousing Speech: SpongeBob gives one as he vows to reunite their heroes
- Strange Minds Think Alike: When Spongebob and Patrick are playing, they use doughnuts as rings. When Barnacle Boy presents the actual rings, Mermaid Man happily exclaims "DOUGHNUTS!!"
- Trigger: Mermaid Man will lose his mind whenever he hears the word "evil".
- Unsound Effect: The new Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy show is full of them ("Sit!" "King Me!" "Hang up!"). At the end SpongeBob winks at the camera and is followed by a graphic that reads "Wink!"
Airdate: August 21, 1999When Spongebob believes that he forgot the pickles on a Krabby Patty, his life is turned upside down.It’s a busy day at the Krusty Krab but SpongeBob handles every order that he comes across and leaves every customer happy. That is until a fish, half as wide as he is tall, walks up to order. He orders, in his words, “a Double Triple Bossy Deluxe on a raft, four by four, animal-style, extra shingles with a shimmy and a squeeze, light axle grease, make it cry, burn it, and let it swim”, to which Squidward snarks. It turns out that the customer is none other than Bubble Bass, the most persnickety patron to ever set foot in the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob is assured that his meal is exactly as he ordered… until Bubble Bass reveals he forgot the pickles! SpongeBob tears the patty apart, trying to find such a simple mistake while Mr. Krabs is forced to give Bubble Bass is money back. With his confidence shattered SpongeBob is sent in a tizzy, unable to make a Krabby Patty and is sent home. Mr. Krabs is soon forced to get SpongeBob back as every patty, fry, and yes even the shakes are burn to a blackened crisp and the restaurant is losing money and customers fast. He finds SpongeBob and his house mixed up and in disarray and decides that he will stick with the little yellow guy until he remembers how to make it, even if it takes days. SpongeBob eventually gives up in frustration… until he makes it perfectly. Mr. Krabs says it’s time and the due return triumphantly to the Krusty Krab. Word spreads fast and Bubble Bass shows up again, confident that he’ll beat SpongeBob again. SpongeBob gives him his meal perfectly until Bubble Bass reveals that SpongeBob messed up yet again! That is until SpongeBob notices something. It turns out that Bubble Bass was hiding the pickles the whole time to get free meals and harass restaurants. With his scam and cover blown, Bubble Bass hightails it out of there as fast as his girth allows. The crowd gives SpongeBob three cheers and Squidward three boos, the last one (“Boo! You stink!”), ending the episode.
Pickles provides examples of:
- Benevolent Boss: As greedy as he is, Mr. Krabs sees that Spongebob is in bad shape after supposedly messing up Bubble Bass' order, and kindly lets him take some time off. And when it's clear his restaurant's survival depends on Spongebob's return, he personally goes to Spongebob's house and waits day and night for the little guy to figure it out.
- Butt-Monkey: Poor Squidward getting tossed around by Bubble Bass. And that's just in the opening of the episode.
- Fat Bastard: Bubble Bass.
- Hash House Lingo: SpongeBob has his own version, while Bubble Bass is quite fluent in it.Bubble Bass: I'll take a double triple balty deluxe, on a raft, 4x4 animal style, extra shingles with a shimmy and a squeeze, light axle grease, make it cry, burn it, and let it swim.
Squidward: We serve food here, sir.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Spongebob, after Bubble Bass tells him that he forgot the pickles.
- Jerkass: Bubble Bass. His Establishing Character Moment paints him as a shrill snob and he's eventually revealed to be a crook, since he had Spongebob's pickles under his tongue the whole time, not to mention someone's car keys.
- Kick the Dog: Bubble Bass' tossing Squidward around definitely qualifies.
- Lethal Chef: Squidward while subbing for SpongeBob at the grill.Customer #1: Hey, he burned my patty!
Customer #2: He burned my fries!
Customer #3: He burned my shake!
- Mind Screw: Spongebob's house after he loses his confidence could give Salvador Dalí a run for his money.
- Mundane Made Awesome: SpongeBob trying to make a Krabby Patty in front of Mr. Krabs.
- Read the Fine Print: Mr. Krabs tries to hide the money back guarantee by putting it in very tiny text at the bottom of the menu, hoping no one would find out about it. Unfortunately, Bubble Bass did.
- Serious Business: Forgetting the pickles on a hamburger sends Spongebob into an existential crisis!
- Shout-Out: "Four-by-four animal style" is a recipe used by In-N-Out Burger, four patties cooked with mustard and served with four slices of cheese, grilled onions, lettuce, and tomato. Seeing how there's an In-N-Out Burger within a short drive from the Nickelodeon Studio, this can't be anything but.
- Showdown at High Noon: SpongeBob's showdown with Bubble Bass reeks of it. It even includes dramatic stares and appropriate music.
- Spaghetti Western: SpongeBob's rivalry with Bubble Bass is played as this as a joke.
- Strange-Syntax Speaker: SpongeBob becomes one after his breakdown.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Attempted by SpongeBob when he asks for three cheers for Squidward for filling his post while he was away. Subverted when they boo him instead.
- Unsatisfiable Customer: Bubble Bass isn't just demanding, he's downright sadistic. In fact, he hid the pickles just to torment SpongeBob.
- Villain: Exit, Stage Left!: Bubble Bass pulls this after he realizes the jig is up.