Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy provide examples of:
- Accidental Marriage: A delusional, senile Mermaid Man, a confused SpongeBob and the warden of Shady Shoals take part in this hilarious exchange.Mermaid Man: Listen up you villains, I wanna eat my meat loaf! Now if you don't get out of here, then with the power invested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife!
Warden: WHAT IS GOING ON IN HERE?!
Mermaid Man: (Talking to the warden, pointing at SpongeBob) You may kiss the bride!
Patrick: (SpongeBob is thrown out of Shady Shoals and rolls home, where Patrick is waiting for him) Did you reunite our heroes?
SpongeBob: No. But I'm married.
- Bad "Bad Acting": Spongebob and Patrick, pretending to be a helpless young woman and a crook, respectively, to get their heroes back into crime fighting. It doesn't work.
- Brick Joke: "DOUGHNUTS!"
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Mermaid Man. Of course, he's probably just senile.
- Cool Old Guy: Spongebob's speech about old people being great as it regards to Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.
- Complete with a live-action shot of an actual Cool Old Guy giving him an approving gesture.
- Crazy-Prepared: "Ever alert, Mermaid Man has trained himself to sleep with his eyes open!"
- Expy: Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy are obviously an Expy of Batman and Robin (with an Aquaman twist, of course).
- Funny Background Event:
- When Mermaid Man is attacking the water fountain, one of the other residents can be seen shaking his head in disapproval.
- When Spongebob tells the duo that they're almost finished painting the Invisible Boatmobile, Mermaid Man seems to approve of this. At least until Barnacle Boy yells about how it's supposed to be invisible.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: "It's not me, you old coot!"
- Harmless Villains: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy go out of retirement to put a stop to evil...by stopping two idiots such as Spongebob and Patrick.
- Old Superheroes
- Rousing Speech: SpongeBob gives one as he vows to reunite their heroes
- Strange Minds Think Alike: When Spongebob and Patrick are playing, they use doughnuts as rings. When Barnacle Boy presents the actual rings, Mermaid Man happily exclaims "DOUGHNUTS!!"
- Trigger: Mermaid Man will lose his mind whenever he hears the word "evil".
- Unsound Effect: The new Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy show is full of them ("Sit!" "King Me!" "Hang up!"). At the end SpongeBob winks at the camera and is followed by a graphic that reads "Wink!"
Airdate: August 21, 1999When Spongebob believes that he forgot the pickles on a Krabby Patty, his life is turned upside down.
Pickles provides examples of:
- Benevolent Boss: As greedy as he is, Mr. Krabs sees that Spongebob is in bad shape after supposedly messing up Bubble Bass' order, and kindly lets him take some time off. And when it's clear his restaurant's survival depends on Spongebob's return, he personally goes to Spongebob's house and waits day and night for the little guy to figure it out.
- Break the Cutie/Heroic B.S.O.D.: Spongebob, after Bubble Bass tells him that he forgot the pickles.
- Butt-Monkey: Poor Squidward getting tossed around by Bubble Bass. And that's just in the opening of the episode.
- Fat Bastard: Bubble Bass.
- Hash House Lingo: SpongeBob has his own version, while Bubble Bass is quite fluent in it.Bubble Bass: I'll take a double triple balty deluxe, on a raft, 4x4 animal style, extra shingles with a shimmy and a squeeze, light axle grease, make it cry, burn it, and let it swim.
Squidward: We serve food here, sir.
- Jerkass: Bubble Bass. His Establishing Character Moment paints him as a shrill snob and he's eventually revealed to be a crook, since he had Spongebob's pickles under his tongue the whole time, not to mention someone's car keys.
- Kick the Dog: Bubble Bass' tossing Squidward around definitely qualifies.
- Lethal Chef: Squidward while subbing for SpongeBob at the grill.Customer #1: Hey, he burned my patty!
Customer #2: He burned my fries!
Customer #3: He burned my shake!
- Mind Screw: Spongebob's house after he loses his confidence could give Salvador Dalí a run for his money.
- Mundane Made Awesome: SpongeBob trying to make a Krabby Patty in front of Mr. Krabs.
- Read the Fine Print: Mr. Krabs tries to hide the money back guarantee by putting it in very tiny text at the bottom of the menu, hoping no one would find out about it. Unfortunately, Bubble Bass did.
- Serious Business: Forgetting the pickles on a hamburger sends Spongebob into an existential crisis!
- Shout-Out: "Four-by-four animal style" is a recipe used by In-N-Out Burger.
- Strange-Syntax Speaker: SpongeBob becomes one after his breakdown.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Attempted by SpongeBob when he asks for three cheers for Squidward for filling his post while he was away. Subverted when they boo him instead.
- Unsatisfiable Customer: Bubble Bass isn't just demanding, he's downright sadistic. In fact, he hid the pickles just to torment SpongeBob.
- Villain Exit Stage Left: Bubble Bass pulls this after he realizes the jig is up.