Recap: South Park S 14 E 9 Its A Jersey Thing
Airdate: October 13, 2010The town is invaded by loud, obnoxious guidos/Jersey Shore wannabes, and Kyle discovers a disturbing secret about his origins.
"It's a Jersey Thing" contains examples of:
- Actually Pretty Funny: The people who were spoofed in the episode actually really liked the way they were portrayed in the episode—Snooki in particular.
- Big Damn Heroes: Al Quaeda saving South Park from a Jerseyite invasion.
- Sheila saving Sharon from being harassed by angry Jersey women.
- Kyle saving Cartman from Snooki—Cartman actually thanks him for it.
- Bystander Syndrome: Why Arnold Schwarzenegger refuses to help South Park—due to both budget problems and just a general lack of concern, since Utah and Nevada stand between California and Colorado.
- Confession Cam: The Jersey women do this parodying Jersey Shore. Later, Sheila does it while explaining her past in Jersey. Lampshaded right there...Sharon: Um, Sheila, who are you taking to?
- Enemy Mine: South Park calls upon Al Quaeda to help them with the Jerseyites after it becomes apparent that nobody else wants to help.
- Former Teen Rebel: Sheila reveals that she was once a notorious teen party-girl known as "S-Woww Tittybang."
- Hidden Depths: Kyle and Sheila's Jersey side don't come up until they're around other Jerseyites.
- Also notable they both fall into these states when their friends are harrased by other Jerseyites, showing a deep connection to their South Park home.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: Cartman starts bawling when Kyle pushes him against a tree, crying about a small scratch behind his head. Cartman later exaggerates the story to the other kids.
- One-Winged Angel: Parodied by Kyle's Jersy side, which was treated as this and a Superpowered Evil Side.
- Phrase Catcher: "It's a Jersey thing."
- Rape as Comedy: The Snooki rapes several people, including Cartman—"Snooki want smoosh-smoosh!"
- Shout-Out: Kyle's "transformation" into a Jersey kid resembles a similar scene from Teen Wolf.
- Kyle's "Jersey" identity is named "Kyley-B."
- Take That: At New Jersey culture, but especially Jersey Shore and Snooki.
- Too Soon: In-Universe. The town is initially against Randy's suggestion that they call upon Al Quaeda to help them.Stephen: And what about the families of the victims of 9/11? Their feelings matter for another 10 months, dammit!