Film watched: Future War
"It's not the future, and there isn't a war, but you know me, I don't like to complain."
"There's a moment in this movie which is kind of heartbreaking. There's a brief scene where a television news reporter is doing a live remote stand- up. His cameraman is using a pretend card-board camera; its a taped-up box with a lens apparatus taped to it. That made us sad."Interesting note of trivia: while Future War was produced and completed in 1994, it never saw a video release til 1999, the same year as the MST3K episode airing, technically making it the most recent experiment from a release date standpoint, beating out even Werewolf.
— Mary Joe Pehl, The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment of this movie contains examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Servo reads the title as "Future Wax" before it appears entirely onscreen.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: While trying to demonstrate Forced Perspective to the (unimpressed) bots, a real giant Tom Servo appears in the theater to frighten them away.
- Call Back:
- Captivity Harmonica: "Well, I suppose one of us has to play harmonica."
- The Chick: In the opening segment, Gypsy wants to know if she's "once, twice or three times a lady". She finds out she's 2.7 times a lady, which isn't bad since Gillian Anderson is only 2.9 times a lady. Crow claims the rating machine has determined Mike is 8 times a lady. Mike's not amused.
- Continuity Nod: Crow surmises Mike's strange behavior during the end credits is due to Joel's recent visit.
- Culture Equals Costume: Every time the beret-wearing character appears, Mike and the bots either sing something in French (e.g., 'Alouette'), or utter a phrase in French (such as "Vive la Résistance!").
- Department of Redundancy Department: Water: Nature's liquid
- Dynamic Entry: "It's Super Pope!"
- Fridge Horror / Fridge Logic / Hand Wave: Giant Servo evokes the first from Servo and Crow, the second for the viewer, and the third from Giant Servo himself.
- Fridge Logic also factors into a riff about the train scene: "Why are we on this train?"
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!Tom Servo: It's Jean-Claude Van Damme!Mike: Nah. He's more like Jean-Claude Gosh Darn.
- Intoxication Ensues: As part of her Mad Science, Pearl doses the 'bots with hallucinogens, and Mike uses a screen to see what they see. Crow misidentifies Mike's Milky Way for a Snickers bar and freaks out, while Servo sees the same distorted, gibbering nightmare he sees every day. Crow is also surprised to learn that Mike isn't a clown.
- I Read That As:
- Before the final letter shows up, Servo reads the title as Future Wax. Which makes about as much sense as the actual title, honestly.
- When Sister Ann is writing the ABCs on the chalkboard, Servo predicts she's trying to write the word "ass."Servo: Ass— asswi— assho—Crow: It's not even ass, Servo!
- Ironic Echo Cut: Taking a cue from the movie, Mike and the 'Bots call Pearl to thank her for not killing them, interrupting her attempt to shoot the SoL with a missile. They feel quite betrayed afterward.
- Lame Pun Reaction: During the Container Maze scene.Crow: He's boxed in.Mike: Well, I'm card-bored.Servo: Shut up, you two.
- Long List:Crow: Hello, I'm Droppy The Water Droplet. Did you know that there are literally tens of thousands of uses for water? Here are just a few thousand...Mike: Are these in any sort of order, or...Crow: Sir, we have a lot of these to get through, so if you'll just hold your water...
- Memetic Badass: In-Universe, Mike and the Bots seize on an off-hand reference to Fred Burroughs (one of Sister Anne's friends) as the basis for a Running Gag hyping him as a badass. This culminates in a dramatic scene of the Runaway working out in his jail cell, with Crow announcing "Ladies and gentlemen... Fred Burroughs!"
- Nuns Are Funny: Much like Girl's Town, the crew gets a lot of mileage from Anne training to be a nun and the Catholic Church in general.
- Retirony: After one of the dinosaurs is killed early in the movie.Mike: He was three days from retirement! NOOO!
- Say My Name: "FRED BURROUGHS!"
- Crow's Droppy the Water Droplet is very similar to his Willy the Waffle (all based on Coily the Spring Sprite from A Case of Spring Fever.)
- Brain Guy burns his guitar a la Jimi Hendrix. Bobo takes advantage of the situation to roast some marshmallows over it.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: When The Runaway obviously removes his own shirt during the final battle:Servo: "My shirt was knocked off. It was knocked off, I swear!"
- Take That: When a couple of kids are shown playing Association Football, Mike comments that soccer is the only thing more boring than this film, and that the last thing he wanted to see was soccer in the film.