Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 23 The Castle Of Fu Manchu
Film watched: The Castle Of Fu Manchu
This was the only Fu Manchu movie that Joel and the Bots watched and is arguably one of the worst films they ever had to endure.
The MST3K presentation provides examples of:
- Getting Crap Past the Radar
Nayland Smith: Thank you, Kurt, it was very kind of you to come.
Joel: Well, I didn't mean to, but, uh, the new seats covers-"
Servo: Joel, NO!
- Heroic BSOD/Not So Stoic: Joel and the Bots rarely ever lose it over movies, and this one has them losing it by the first break from the movie.
- Not only that- every host segment falls apart due to the horribleness of this movie. Compare Manos, where they got through two host segments without breaking up.
- Surprisingly, the first one to break is the usually snarky and easy-going Crow, who was delivering great joke after great joke throughout the first 20 minutes of the movie; and furthermore, seems to be the least likely of the bots to lose it over anything. And yet, despite his valiant efforts, he collapses into hysterical tears while reading aloud his editiorial on the Miss Saigon Syndrome.
- Joel has a brief BSOD moment when he realizes he's forgotten the Invention Exchange for the week, and all he can come up with is the Big Head, which he did already. Fortunately, Tom and Crow had their own invention handy.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Quite a few about barges and fez hats.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: On the really bad British dub.
Joel: Why are they dubbing the British?
Servo: I don't know, this is terrible!
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: At the end of the movie, as Forrester and Frank are celebrating and awaiting the official surrender from the Satellite of Love, Joel comes back with this rant.
"You haven't won, Dr. Forrester; you've lost. And I feel sorry for you. You're nothing but a sad little man in a hole in the ground who can only feel power by hurting others
. Well, we won because, we survived, and we survived because, well, we're Robinsons, roughly
. That's what Robinsons do is survive, basically, and well, if you think it's so easy, well, YOU should try and watch a movie sometime!
- This leads the Mads to try and watch the film. They don't do so well.
- Take That: Joel and the bots challenge Forrester and Frank try to riff the film. They fail miserably. This was in response to critics who claimed that anyone could riff the movies like Best Brains did.
- With Lyrics: Tom Servo does this with the opening credits theme of the movie.
Servo: I'm bored, I'm bored with these credits already...
- The Woobie: Both of the bots in the host segments.
- Yellowface: Discussed in Crow's editorial "The Miss Saigon Syndrome".