Film watched: High School Big Shot with the short Out of This World
The MST3K presentation contains these tropes:
- Call-Back: Servo references the short at the beginning when he ponders where the bread display in a general store is.
- Curse Cut Short: During the Out of This World riffing:Salesman: That's why I keep these bullseyes handy. So that a small slip-up doesn't turn into a big trip-up.Mike: Make sure you stock your truck up, so that you don't...well, you know.
- Downer Ending: The writers said that the entire film was depressing, and that the downer ending was a relief.
- Gentleman Thief: T. Hewett Edward Crow. He still can't get past the lock on Gypsy's diary.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: They manage to sneak a joke about analingus into the short![The angel!reporter sticks her tongue out at the devil!cop]Tom: [As the cop] No, thanks; I use toilet paper!
- Hulk Speak: Tom develops this when Crow turns him huge."Movie bad! Movie go away!"
- Messianic Archetype: Joked about as a potential twist ending.Tom: Oh, it's gonna turn out that the bread truck driver is Jesus.
Mike: "Hope you accept bread into your life!"
- Overly Long Gag: Tom Servo repeatedly singing "Don't Pay the Ferryman", which he pays for dearly.
- Which is a Crowning Moment of Funny as well.
- Running Gag: In "Out of This World", Mike and the bots portraying the bread salesman as a mobster who threatens his prospects with harm unless they stock his bread.
- In "High School Big Shot", exaggerating how poor the main character and his father are.
- Tom singing "Don't Pay the Ferryman".
- Shame If Something Happened: Invoked in the riffing for Out of This World.Mike: (as salesman) Mr. Marco, you want my coffee ring today? Sure be a shame if something bad happened to your store here!Salesman: How are you today?Mr. Marco: Ehhh, I'm-a feel lousy.Salesman: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.Servo: (as salesman) 'Cause I like you, Mr. Marco!Salesman: (examining grocery cart) Hey, something new.Mike: (as salesman) Be a shame if this ran over your kid!
- Sophisticated as Hell: The "Vince analyzes Othello" riff.
- Spoof Aesop: As "The End" shows on screen:Crow: This is the P.T.A. reminding you to always do your homework!