Film watched: Danger Death Ray
Featured in season 6 of Mystery Science Theater 3000,
it's clear Mike and the 'Bots had a blast with this one.
The MST3K presentation provides examples of:
- Bond One-Liner: Generally averted, much to the annoyance of Mike and the 'Bots.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Tom Servo builds his own Death Ray for peaceful purposes and then uses it on Crow. Crow does have to admit that it was Actually Pretty Funny...that is, until his head catches fire.
- Continuity Nod: At the airport, Mike and the Bots hum a piece of music from The Starfighters.
- Crow's script "Earth vs. Soup" has been mentioned before in past episodes and would be mentioned again in later ones (it even gets made (sorta) in a later one)
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Subverted when Mike elicits laughs from the bots with "Lattice in!"
- Insult Backfire:
Forrester: Frank... you look like a slut.
TV's Frank: (gleefully) Do I, really?
- Most Wonderful Sound: Crow's constant giggling during the Special Effects Failure.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "And the way you dove out that window, just terrible."
- Running Gags
All: "WATERMELON MAAAAAAAAN!"
Crow: I want Jefferson Davis DEAD! I want his family DEAD!
Mike: Ohh, I've got a rail-splitting headache!
- The Special Effects Failure leads to open giggling by the crew.
Mike: (on seeing the toy submarine) The Ti-D-Bowl Man is doing pretty alright for himself!
Servo: They're coming up for more baking soda.
(Crow openly giggles at length.)
Mike: Ah, the ocean is beautiful in this side of the tub.
Servo: This set is at least three box tops.
Crow: Special effects by Billy!
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Lampshaded.
Servo: ["bup-a-dup-a-da-da" is playing] This isn't appropriate right now. His friend is dying over there.
- Tearjerker: For Cambot, at least. Fargo's camera-destroying at the end of the film causes Cambot to start crying, blurring our view of the last host segment.
- Technical Pacifist:
Servo: Ah, so it's a PEACE LOVING DEATH RAY.
- Throw It In: Crow's head wasn't supposed to completely catch on fire like it does in the "peaceful death ray" sketch, but it ended up looking hilarious.
- Helps that Trace Beaulieu chose to stay in character rather than end the take.