Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 06 E 20 Danger Death Ray
Film watched: Danger!! Death RayFeatured in season 6 of Mystery Science Theater 3000, it's clear Mike and the 'Bots had a blast with this one.
The MST3K presentation provides examples of:
- Bond One-Liner: Generally averted, much to the annoyance of Mike and the 'Bots.
- Call Back: Servo's love of MacIntosh computers from Gamera Vs. Barugon.Mike: (dismissively) MacIntosh equipment.Servo: (brightly) Ooh, MacIntosh! Nice tube amp, good quality... (Bart Fargo smashes the transmitter) HEY!
- Comedic Sociopathy: Tom Servo builds his own Death Ray for peaceful purposes and then uses it on Crow. Crow does have to admit that it was Actually Pretty Funny...that is, until his head catches fire.
- Continuity Nod: At the airport, Mike and the Bots hum a piece of music from The Starfighters.
- Crow's script "Earth vs. Soup" has been mentioned before in past episodes and would be mentioned again in later ones (it even gets made (sorta) in a later one)
- Corpsing: Trace Beaulieu loses it during the helicopter landing scene.
- Hollywood Atlas:Crow: What country is this taking place in?Mike: Europe.
- Hypocritical Humor:
- Mike chastises Frank for refusing to produce Crow's scripts, saying he wants nothing to do with him, until Frank reveals he's booked him to tour in Cole Porter's Anything Goes for a hefty sum, after which Mike is seen wearing a sailor suit and singing songs from the musical.
- When Mike enters the theater still wearing his sailor suit, Servo castigates him, telling him, "Look at you. You look ridiculous." This while Servo is still wearing a Reebok on his head.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Subverted when Mike elicits laughs from the bots with "Lattice in!"
- Insistent Terminology: Crow's manly sunglasses are for men. Especially the pink rhinestone-studded glasses with heart-shaped lens with the word "WOMAN" on top.
- Insult Backfire:Forrester: Frank... you look like a slut.TV's Frank: (gleefully) Do I, really?
- Most Wonderful Sound: Crow's constant giggling during the Special Effects Failure.
- Police Are Useless:Mike: THERE! We made them swerve slightly.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "And the way you dove out that window, just terrible."
- Running Gags
All: "WATERMELON MAAAAAAAAN!"
- "DANGER! [fill in the blank]"Servo: DANGER! Twist tie...
- Mocking the DEATH ray being used for only peaceful purposes.
- Mike and the 'Bots singing along with the soundtrack and adding lyrics from similar tunes where appropriate.
Mike: Abe Lincoln is Timecop!Crow: I want Jefferson Davis DEAD! I want his family DEAD!Mike: Ohh, I've got a rail-splitting headache!
- Jokes about Scarface and his resemblance to a certain president:
Mike: (on seeing the toy submarine) The Ti-D-Bowl Man is doing pretty alright for himself!Servo: They're coming up for more baking soda.(Crow openly giggles at length.)Mike: Ah, the ocean is beautiful in this side of the tub.Servo: This set is at least three box tops.Crow: Special effects by Billy!Mike: These are NOT toys!
- The Special Effects Failure leads to open giggling by the crew.
- "DANGER! [fill in the blank]"
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Lampshaded.Servo: ["bup-a-dup-a-da-da" is playing] This isn't appropriate right now. His friend is dying over there.
- Tearjerker: For Cambot, at least. Fargo's camera-destroying at the end of the film causes Cambot to start crying, blurring our view of the last host segment.
- Technical Pacifist:Servo: Ah, so it's a PEACE LOVING DEATH RAY.
- Throw It In: Crow's eyes and head weren't supposed to blaze as they did, but Trace Beaulieu's improvised screaming was so funny they kept the take.