open/close all folders
Films — Live-Action
- Angels & Demons: "Tom Hanks is Robert Langdon".
- Air Force One: Harrison Ford IS the President of the United States.
- Nearly imperceptible, but on the poster it says clear as day "Harrison Ford is Blade Runner"
- Arnold Schwarzenegger IS The Terminator.
- On the poster for The Bourne Identity: Matt Damon is Jason Bourne.
- Harrison Ford is The Fugitive.
- "Jim Carrey is Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon."
- Johnny Depp IS Rango. Rather ironic given that Rango is a pseudonym.
- Julia Roberts IS Erin Brockovich.
- Kevin Costner is Robin Hood.
- In Monty Python's Life of Brian, the Pythons wanted George Lazenby to play Jesus as a cameo, purely so they could say "George Lazenby is Jesus Christ!" They couldn't get him, so it didn't pan out.
- Michael Keaton IS Beetlejuice. (Funny when you consider the correct spelling is Betelgeuse.)
- One poster design for You Only Live Twice, which was competing with the Casino Royale spoof, had "Sean Connery IS James Bond." Ironically it was this movie where Connery quit the role partially because he wanted to be known as something other than Bond.
- Speaking of the Casino Royale spoof, which was "too much ... for one James Bond!", Ursula Andress IS James Bond.
- Parodied in the trailer for Pee-wee's Big Adventure: "Pee-Wee Herman is Pee-Wee Herman."
- The teaser trailer for Star Trek: The Motion Picture did this with the whole cast. With Orson Welles narrating. See here.
- Steven Seagal films have this title scheme as a tradition. "Steven Seagal is... Out for Justice / Hard to Kill / On Deadly Ground," etc. Which is in itself an odd use of the trope, since most of those aren't character names; they're usually descriptors which might well apply to Seagal (or the character he's portraying).
- "Tom Arnold is Stupid" *lower down the poster* (Stanley Stupid)
- Tom Hanks IS Forrest Gump.
- A variation on Inglourious Basterds, almost all the principal characters had "X is a Basterd" on their character posters. "Brad Pitt IS a Basterd", and so on.
- David Hyde Pierce IS The Perfect Host.
- In the RiffTrax of Captain America: The First Avenger lampshading the Captain's movie serials "Captain America is Captain America in Captain America." Which is how it happens in the movie except we're never shown for sure that the movie serial is actually called Captain America.
- "The Incredible Lou Ferrigno is Hercules."
- Angelina Jolie IS Maleficent.
- "Paul Newman is Harper."
- Malavita has four (five if you include the dog...) poster slogans that read: "Robert De Niro is one Killer Dad", "Michelle Pfeiffer is one Bad Mother", "Dianna Agron is the Mobgirl Next Door" and "John D'Leo is the Young Gun". The dogs is "Hitman's Best Friend".
- Star Wars Insider published an issue based around The Force Awakens with a number of individual articles about the characters of the film and the actors playing them, titled variously "Adam Driver is Kylo Ren," "Carrie Fisher is Princess Leia," "Harrison Ford is Han Solo," etc.
- "Kathy Ireland is the Alien from L.A.."
- Halle Berry IS Catwoman.
- The film Icarus is also known as "The Killing Machine". However, some sources actually actually title it as "Dolph Lundgren is The Killing Machine".
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 often spoofs this with their films, such as "Joe Don Baker IS Santa Claus". They spoof it even more if the actor on-screen bears similarity to more than one celebrity: "Jane Curtain IS Kate Moss AS Isadora Duncan!"
- For Doctor Who's 50th Anniversary, the Radio Times released twelve special edition covers, one for each actor to take the title role: William Hartnell IS the Doctor. Articles announcing the next Doctor often run with this format.
- A Saturday Night Live sketch featured a play about Frank Sinatra performed by Danish actors. The announcer proclaims that "Aki Hanenrud is Frank Sinatra", which is then followed up with a review that states "Aki Hanenrud is not Frank Sinatra".
- Later episodes of The Hitchhiker bill the title character this way in the credits ("Page Fletcher is The Hitchhiker").
- Emphasizing its Concept Album and stage persona nature, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars was promoted with an ad proclaiming "David Bowie is Ziggy Stardust"; at the bottom, in smaller type, it read "Ziggy Stardust is David Bowie".
- Paul McCartney IS The Fireman 
- The Simpsons episode "Mayored to the Mob", guest-starring Mark Hamill played with this, with two posters in the Dinner Theater performing Guys and Dolls: "Mark Hamill IS Nathan Detroit" and "Pepper Steak IS the Entree".
- In the South Park episode "The Biggest Douche in the Universe", all the parody trailers close with: "Rob Schneider is The Stapler/A Carrot/Da Derp De Derp Da Teetily Derp Da Derpee Dumb/Kenny! Rated PG-13."