You know, as in tune as Bert I. Gordon was with the Fifties, he just didn't get the Sixties!Film watched: Village of the Giants
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation contains these tropes:
- Actor Allusion: Plenty of references to Lloyd Bridges here. There are also plenty of Opie and Willow jokes at Ron Howard's expense.Crow: I liked Willow!
Crow: "Why wasn't Glenn Manning this much fun?"
- While the giant teenagers are dancing:
- Torgo briefly takes over Frank's job in Deep 13.
- Dual-Meaning Chorus: While "The Greatest Frank of All" is ostensibly meant to refer to TV's Frank, the end shows it was also meant as a loving tribute to Frank Zappa (see Trivia), who had passed away a month before this episode aired.
- Even the Dog Is Ashamed: The movie uses the "bashful" type of this, with pet dog Wolf putting a paw over his face as Nancy and Mike make out. Crow, taking a different interpretation, almost quotes the trope verbatim:"Even the dog is grossed out!"
- Fridge Logic: Invoked: When the giants shrink back down to normal size, Mike and the bots wonder why they didn't explode from all the urine in their giant bodies.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:Crow: "That's not mud!"
- Inherently Funny Words: Mike gets Crow to giggle a couple times by mocking Genius's funny-sounding chemical compounds, which mostly use "P" sounds.
- Mickey Mousing: The "Haunting Torgo Theme" gets sped up when Dr. F helps Torgo get to his seat to interview for Frank's job.Dr. F.: First rule: No theme music.
Torgo: What theme music? (walks away, Haunting Torgo Theme plays.)
- Mondegreen: Invoked; when one of the women kisses a guy, she says "Please?", but it ends up sounding more like "Bees?" Mike runs with it: "Bees, yes."
- Noodle Incident: Frank tricks Torgo into doing something to Dr. Forrester offscreen. We never know what it is but it's enough to get Forrester to throw Torgo out on his ear immediately.
- Notable Original Music: "The Greatest Frank of All"
- Pet the Dog: Mike and the Bots are super nice to Frank after he gets fired. They get ready to send him a card and even give him a job interview for a position on the SOL (although they really just do this so he doesn't commit fraud while trying to apply for unemployment benefits.)
- Running Gag: "I like Willow!"
- Mike and the bots replying, "WHAT?!" to the hard-to-hear police officer.
- "Jim Begg."
- Villainous B.S.O.D.: Frank becomes a sullen mess after being fired.
- With a Foot on the Bus: Frank is fired, but manages to get his job back from Torgo right before being evicted from Deep 13.
"Please, don't go." "Goodbye, Frank, you were enjoyed." (singing) "Let me be frank about Frank..."