You know, as in tune as Bert I Gordon was with the Fifties, he just didn't get the Sixties!Film watched: Village of the Giants
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation contains these tropes:
- Actor Allusion: Plenty of references to Lloyd Bridges here. There are also plenty of Opie and Willow jokes at Ron Howard's expense.Crow: I liked Willow!
- Call Back:
Crow: "Why wasn't Glenn Manning this much fun?"
- While the giant teenagers are dancing:
- Torgo briefly takes over Frank's job in Deep 13.
- Dual Meaning Chorus: While "The Greatest Frank of All" is ostensibly meant to refer to TV's Frank, the end shows it was also meant as a loving tribute to Frank Zappa (see below), who had passed away a month before this episode aired.
- Fridge Logic: Invoked: When the giants shrink back down to normal size, Mike and the bots wonder why they didn't explode from all the urine in their giant bodies.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:Crow: "That's not mud!"
- BSOD: Frank experiences one of these, after being Put on a Bus.
- Inherently Funny Words: Mike gets Crow to giggle a couple times by mocking Genius's funny-sounding chemical compounds, which mostly use "P" sounds.
- In Memoriam: In place of The Stinger, there is a dedication to Frank Zappa, who was also a fan of MST3K and had apparently expressed interest in collaborating with Best Brains shortly before his death.
- Mickey Mousing: The "Haunting Torgo Theme" gets sped up when Dr. F helps Torgo get to his seat to interview for Frank's job.Dr. F.: First rule: No theme music.
Torgo: What theme music? (walks away, Haunting Torgo Theme plays.)
- Mondegreen: Invoked; when one of the women kisses a guy, she says "Please?", but it ends up sounding more like "Bees?" Mike runs with it: "Bees, yes."
- Noodle Incident: Frank tricks Torgo into doing something to Dr. Forrester offscreen. We never know what it is but it's enough to get Forrester to throw Torgo out on his ear immediately.
- Notable Original Music: "The Greatest Frank of All"
- Pet the Dog: Mike and the Bots are super nice to Frank after he gets fired. They get ready to send him a card and even give him a job interview for a position on the SOL (although they really just do this so he doesn't commit fraud while trying to apply for unemployment benefits.)
- Put on a Bus: We'll miss you, TV's Frank.
- The Bus Came Back: At least in this same episode. Seeing that he was replaced by Torgo of all people, it was hard not to see this coming.
- Running Gag: "I like Willow!"
- Mike and the bots replying, "WHAT?!" to the hard-to-hear police officer.
- "Jim Begg."
"Please, don't go." "Goodbye, Frank, you were enjoyed." (singing) "Let me be frank about Frank..."