Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 14 Teen Age Strangler
Films watched: Is This Love? (short) and Teen-Age Strangler
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation of Teen Age Strangler contains examples of these tropes:
- Call Back: "The Master wants you, but he won't have you. I want you."
- Eegah!:Crow: It looks like he took dance lessons from Arch Hall, Jr!Mike: (softly, deep-voiced) Shtemlo!
- Celebrity Resemblance: The guy managing the diner is considered a look-alike of Drew Carey and The Family Circus dad.
- Mikey is also compared to Waldo.
- Large Ham: Hoo boy... Who isn't a large ham in this movie? Even Mike gets caught up in this ham-fest.
- Notable Original Music: "The Janitor Song."
- Running Gag: Mike and the bots keep lampshading moments of Ho Yay they detect throughout the movie.
- Shout-Out: The unerringly wholesome folk performance in the diner has Mike and the Bots calling out for requests from punk favorites such as The Cramps and The Buzzcocks.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation of Is This Love? contains examples of these tropes:
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Lots, but perhaps most notably when Peggy reclines on the bed and stretches her hands above her head.Mike: Get the cuffs.
- Harsher in Hindsight: The riff about Andy's "screams of those who have wronged me" manifesto, several years before Columbine/Virginia Tech.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Crow and Tom talk about how solid and loving the romance between Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love is. Cobain OD'ed six months later.
- Running Gag: Andy as Liz's henpecked fiance. "Look, would you just lay off for ten seconds!!"
- Star Trek: The bots compare Liz's oddly arched eyebrows to those of a Romulan.