Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 17 Beginning Of The End
Film watched: Beginning of the End
- Mike, Crow and Servo sing some old standards, but are interrupted by a lady calling from the Hexfield. Mike tries to clarify, but she still thinks that "Ernie" is there.
- Mike stealthily hangs up on the lady, much to the Servo's amusement. For this week's Invention Exchange, the Mads present the re-comfy bike, a cozy recumbent bike, which Frank sleeps in. Mike, Servo and Crow show off their new playing cards, the Eight of Chris Lemmon, Todd and the Crow of Diamonds.
- Despite Crow and Servo's objections, Mike calls up the Mads. Dr. Forrester and Frank, when they aren't terrorizing the SOL with bad movies, act like a married couple. This gets Mike and the Bots really uncomfortable really fast.
- Crow shows off his new screenplay, Peter Graves at the University of Minnesota. Mike and Servo then get annoyed from the Crow's redundancies.
- Servo shows off his locust themed stand up routine, but Crow and Mike are unimpressed.
- Mike and the Bots read some letters, including a postcard from members of the Kim Cattrall Fan Club. This leads to other postcards used with a plastic grasshopper as Bert I. Gordon special effects. Meanwhile, The Mads, duke it out with some manly boxing.
The MST3K presentation provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay: Forrester and TV's Frank when they don't realize the S.O.L. is on the line.
- Brain Bleach: After seeing Forrester and TV's Frank in disturbingly domestic bliss:Mike: (weirded out) So, uh, we can call the Mads... but you know what? I'm not going to do that for a while.
- Brutal Honesty: Crow's reaction to Tom's overly-cerebral locust stand-up routine.Mike: Wow, Tom, that... that really, really, uh...Crow: Sucked!
- Call Back:
Servo: What Mitchell do right now?
- When the army stops by the locusts,
- Department of Redundancy Department: Crow's screenplay about Peter Graves. Fifteen acts were devoted to reminding people that Graves went to the University of Minnesota.Servo: Crow, I'm not criticizing here, but were you worried about the redundancy factor or not or--?
Crow: Well, I thought my point was important enough to risk that.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A lot regarding Peter Graves.Servo: "If you could see my hands right now, you'd be horrified!"
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: The Mads overcompensate a little, boxing and proclaiming it's the sport of MEN!!!
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Mike and the Bots discover The Mads are these, resulting in a bit of Brain Bleach all round.
- Idiot Ball:Servo: Hey Diane Arbus, why don't you take a picture!?
- Jaw Drop: Crow's reaction when Mike and the Bots interrupt The Mads' "Us Day". Mike helps Crow out and lifts his jaw back.
- Karma Houdini:Servo: Hey, this guy caused the whole thing! He should be doing time in Joliet!Crow: Ah, the grasshoppers ate Joliet.
- The Mountains of Illinois: The MST3K episode is the Trope Namer.
- Nausea Fuel: Crow finds the bizarre transition effects in the credits to be this. Mike doesn't really help.
- Noodle Implements: As the general asks what Wainwright needs for his proposed locust trap:Tom: A tennis ball, an accordion and a picture of Don Ameche!
- Overly Long Gag: Crow being nauseated by the credits. By the end, Tom yells "One more time!"
- Running Gag:
- Frank's signing.
Servo: When Brian Eno ruled Chicago.
- Many towards the Chicagoland area.
- Servo points out Norman Taggert's resemblance to Frank Nelson by letting out an "Yyyyyyeeeeesss?"
- At the part where the high frequency weapon is used.
- Mike refers to the Mads as "Benny & Joon".
- Society Marches On:
- Mike tells Tom that his amazingly unfunny standup act has a good chance of being on The Chevy Chase Show, which is considered one of the worst late night shows in television history. It was still on the air at the time the episode aired.
- The episode also aired after the Oliver Stone miniseries Wild Palms aired.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: This is Albert Glasser, after all. "bum-bum-bum-BAAAAAAAAH-DAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!"Mike: She's got her car radio tuned to the Marching Band Station.
Servo: "All Sousa, All The Time."
- Stylistic Suck: Servo's standup act is truly unfunny.
- Take That: When there is a news story about the giant locusts,Newsreader: A screech increases in intensity, until it reaches ear shattering proportions.Crow: Sounds like, Mariah Carey.
Mike: The Cubs don't win the pennant, the Cubs don't win the pennant!
- The film cuts to a screaming crowd,
Crow: Savages, worst than British soccer fans!
- When Peter Graves assesses damage made by the giant locust,
- Technology Marches On: Tom makes a reference to the Radio Shack computer, the Tandy.
- White Dude, Black Dude: Servo's standup is this to grasshoppers and locust.
- You Have to Believe Me: Peter Graves invokes this at one point, prompting Servo to immediately follow up with a stream of panicked gibberish about "giant crickets".
Col. Sturgeon: All right, men, into the woods.
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 16 Alien From LA Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 18 The Atomic Brain
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 13 The Brain That Wouldnt Die Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 93 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 14 Teen Age Strangler