Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 17 Beginning Of The End
Film watched: Beginning of the End
The MST3K presentation provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay: Forrester and TV's Frank when they don't realize the S.O.L. is on the line.
- Brain Bleach: After seeing Forrester and TV's Frank in disturbingly domestic bliss:
Mike: (weirded out) So, uh, we can call the Mads... but you know what? I'm not going to do that for a while.
- Brutal Honesty: Crow's reaction to Tom's overly-cerebral locust stand-up routine.
Mike: Wow, Tom, that... that really, really, uh...
- Department of Redundancy Department: Crow's screenplay about Peter Graves. Fifteen acts were devoted to reminding people that Graves went to the University of Minnesota.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A lot regarding Peter Graves.
Servo: "If you could see my hands right now, you'd be horrified!"
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: The Mads overcompensate a little, boxing and proclaiming it's the sport of MEN!!!
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Mike and the Bots discover The Mads are these, resulting in a bit of Brain Bleach all round.
- Idiot Ball:
Servo: Hey Diane Arbus, maybe you want to, oh, I donít know, take a picture!?
- Jaw Drop: Crow's reaction when Mike and the Bots interrupt The Mads' "Us Day". Mike helps Crow out and lifts his jaw back.
- Karma Houdini:
Servo: Hey, this guy caused the whole thing! He should be doing time in Joliet!
Crow: Ah, the grasshoppers ate Joliet.
- The Mountains of Illinois: The MST3K episode is the Trope Namer.
- Nausea Fuel: Crow finds the bizarre transition effects in the credits to be this. Mike doesn't really help.
Honey, do you think you could keep down some 7-Up
and soda crackers? Crow:
*gag* no... Mike:
Some lukewarm pork? Crow:
I'm sorry, I'm sorry...
- Noodle Implements: As the general asks what Wainwright needs for his proposed locust trap:
Tom: A tennis ball, an accordion and a picture of Don Ameche!
- Overly Long Gag: Crow being nauseated by the credits. By the end, Tom yells "One more time!"
- Servo points out Norman Taggert's resemblance to Frank Nelson by letting out an "Mmmyeeeeesss?"
- When Wainwright and Major Everett don gas masks after throwing the smoke bomb, Crow calls out, "Trumpy!"
- Society Marches On:
- Mike tells Tom that his amazingly unfunny standup act has a good chance of being on The Chevy Chase Show, which is considered one of the worst late night shows in television history. It was still on the air at the time the episode aired.
- The episode also aired after the Oliver Stone miniseries Wild Palms aired.
- Technology Marches On: Tom makes a reference to the Radio Shack computer, the Tandy.
- You Have to Believe Me: Peter Graves invokes this at one point, prompting Servo to immediately follow up with a stream of panicked gibberish about "giant crickets".
"All right, men, into the woods."