Recap: Gravity Falls S 1 E 7 Double Dipper
The seventh episode of Gravity Falls.When Stan throws a big weekend party to promote the Mystery Shack, Dipper uses an off-kilter copy machine to make clones of himself so he can impress Wendy. Meanwhile, Mabel stands up for her two friends and fights for the Party Queen title in their honor, instead of having the popular girl and her group win.
This Gravity Falls episode provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Pacifica calls Soos/Jesús (hay-soos) "Jorge" (hor-hay).
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: This is the reason Dipper is worried about Robbie "stealing away" Wendy.
- All Guitars Are Stratocasters: Robbie's guitar resembles one.
- Alpha Bitch: Pacifica Northwest.
- Anti-Mutiny: The Dipper Clones rebel when Dipper tries to abandon the plan.
- Assumed Win: Pacifica is so sure she'll win she demands to just be given the Party Crown right away.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Dipper #10 distracts Soos with a laser pointer.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: "Tyrone" is one in Dipper's opinion, and he and Dipper #2 agree on that name for his first copy when they say it in unison as the name they wish they always had.
- Blondes Are Evil: Pacifica.
- Body Horror: Paper Jam Dipper.
- Bowties Are Cool: Dipper and Wendy both don bowties for this episode.
- Cardboard Prison: Dipper escapes the closet because it was unlocked.
- Cash Lure: One of the Dipper clones uses this to keep Grunkle Stan occupied. He realizes it's a trick seconds before diving after it anyway.
- Clone Degeneration: Due to the copier getting jammed, the fourth Dipper is a disturbing malformed creature.
- Clones Are People Too: All of the clones, save for the arm and the Paper Jam clone, are identical to Dipper in both appearance and personality, and the jammed clone is still self-aware and has feelings. This means that they share the same motivations as Dipper, including their crush on Wendy. Also, the original Dipper shows legitimate concern when Tyrone melts away.
- Cloning Blues: Mostly averted. The clones are all for doing the original Dipper's dirty work and getting nothing in return, and are aright with that until the original deviates from the plan. Tyrone even casually reminds the original that he can be destroyed in the case of a rebellion.
- Confusing Multiple Negatives: Mabel sings a song called "Don't Start Un-Believing", which includes the lyrics "Never don't not feel your feelings!"
- Continuity Nod: The Inconveniencing is referenced several times, including when Dipper and Tyrone sit at at Wendy's hiding spot on the roof, and Wendy mentions the adventure at the convenience store. Soos's keyboard with the "Yeh-Yeah!" sound effect also makes a return.
- Death Glare: Pacifica gives one to the crowd when she doesn't get enough applause.
- Embarrassing Old Photo: Wendy shows an old photo of herself as a lanky preteen with braces to Dipper. Subverted in that she doesn't seem that embarrassed about it.
- Face Palm: Tyrone does this when Dipper Classic escapes.
- Face Plant: When Mabel attempts a front flip while singing karaoke.
- Four Is Death: The Paper Jam Clone is the fourth full clone made, though the number 4 is given to the next clone after him.
- Genre Savvy: Dipper is concerned his clones might betray him. He's assured by Tyrone that they won't, since they know about their Weaksauce Weakness. They do end up attacking him, but only out of desperation.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:Dipper: I shall call you "Number 2"
Dipper 2 (Tyrone): Definitely not!
- One of the items on Dipper's list is "Block Robbie," doubling as a Freeze-Frame Bonus.
- Girl Posse: Pacifica and her two friends.
- Glass-Shattering Sound: Pacifica sings a high note that shatters a plastic cup.
- Hypocritical Humor: When the clones argue over who will replace Dipper Classic:Dipper 5: That makes, like, zero sense.
Dipper 10: *shoves Dipper 5* You make zero sense!
Dipper 5: *shoves Dipper 10 back* Watch it!
Dipper 6: *shoves Dipper 5* Don't shove people!
- I Hate Past Me: The entire reason that the clones rebel is because they haven't learned something that the original Dipper has.
- I Lied:Dipper: Guys, c'mon. We said we weren't gonna turn on each other.
Dipper 2 (Tyrone): I think we all knew we were lying.
- I Resemble That RemarkPacifica: Oh, Grenda, by the way, you sound like a professional wrestler. (laughs and leaves)
Grenda: I wanna put her in a headlock and make her feel pain!
- Imagine Spot: Dipper has two: One of him dancing with Wendy, and another of Robbie dancing with Wendy.
- Insult Backfire:Mabel: Hi, I'm Mabel.
Pacifica: That sounds like a fat old lady's name.
Mabel: I'll take that as a compliment!
- Larynx Dissonance: Grenda.
- Libation for the Dead: Drinking soda with Dipper causes Tyrone to dissolve. Dipper mourns him by pouring one out on the mess - then stops and finishes the can himself.
- Long List: Dipper's plan.
- Meganekko: Candy.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: "Alright party people...and Dipper."
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero:
- The only reason why Dipper's clones attack him is that he decided to deviate from the original plan.
- Dipper convinces the clones that fighting each other is useless since it'll just go on forever... then sucker-punches Tyrone.
- Nobody Poops: Averted. Wendy and Pacifica both make a bathroom break.
- Obsessed Are the Listmakers: Dipper makes out a twenty-step plan to get Wendy to dance with him at the party, instead of just going up to her and asking as Mabel suggests. His first plan, which was already twelve steps, he bails on even when it was working, making it obvious that's he's just stalling. It gets to the point where Dipper's clones rebel against him when he tries to ditch the plan.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The episode reveals that Dipper isn't his true name and it come from his Big Dipper-shaped birthmark on his forehead.
- Our Clones Are Identical: Except the clones lack the tree graphic on their hat, which is where Dipper writes their identifying numbers. Also, Paper Jam Dipper is very different from the rest.
- Overly Long Gag: Soos trying to find the thunder sound effect on his keyboard during The Stinger.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Dipper writes a "7" on a paper he put on his hat to impersonate one of his clones. It doesn't work for long.
- Punny Name: Pacifica Northwest, Candy Chiu.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Pacifica only manages to win the contest by bribing Old Man McGucket into clapping for her.
- Stylistic Self-Parody: After making his first full clone, Dipper notes that his head is really big.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: After Clones 3 and 4 steal Robbie's bike, Dipper remarks "I wonder who those two guys are, who aren't me because I'm right here?"
- Too Dumb to Live: Tyrone offers to drink some soda with original Dipper, even though any contact with liquid causes him to melt away.
- The Unintelligible: Paper Jam Dipper, who can only make incoherent "NYANG NYANG NYANG" sounds.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: Pacifica, before and after winning the contest.
- Weaksauce Weakness: The clones can be destroyed with liquids, namely water and soda.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The clones that stole Robbie's bike never show up again.
- Which Me?: "Hey buddy! It's me, you."
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Upon learning how Dipper got his name Wendy jokingly comments that she'd previously just assumed that his parents hated him.
- Wimp Fight: The "clone fight" sequence.
- You Are Number Six: Played straight with all the clones except Paper Jam Dipper and Number Two, who is called Tyrone.