Recap: Gravity Falls S 1 E 7 Double Dipper
The seventh episode of Gravity Falls
When Stan throws a big weekend party to promote the Mystery Shack, Dipper uses an off-kilter copy machine to make clones of himself so he can impress Wendy. Meanwhile, Mabel stands up for her two friends and fights for the Party Queen title in their honor, instead of having the popular girl and her group win.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Accidental Misnaming: Pacifica calls Soos/Jesús (hay-soos) "Jorge" (hor-hay).
- Alpha Bitch: Pacifica Northwest
- Assumed Win: Pacifica is so sure she'll win she demands to just be given the Party Crown right away.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Dipper #10 distracts Soos with a laser pointer.
- Blondes Are Evil: Pacifica.
- Body Horror: Paper Jam Dipper.
- Bowties Are Cool: Dipper and Wendy both don bowties for this episode.
- Call Back: The Inconveniencing is referenced several times, including when Dipper and Tyrone sit at at Wendy's hiding spot on the roof, and Wendy mentions the adventure at the convenience store. Soos's keyboard with the "Yeh-Yeah!" sound effect also makes a return.
- Clone Degeneration: Due to the copier getting jammed, the fourth Dipper is a disturbing malformed creature.
- Clones Are People Too: All of the clones, save for the arm and the Paper Jam clone, are identical to Dipper in both appearance and personality, and the jammed clone is still self-aware and has feelings. This means that they share the same motivations as Dipper, including their crush on Wendy. Also, the original Dipper shows legitimate concern when Tyrone melts away.
- Cloning Blues: Mostly averted. The clones are all for doing the original Dipper's dirty work and getting nothing in return until the original deviates from the plan. Tyrone even casually reminds the original that he can be destroyed in the case of a rebellion.
- Death Glare: Pacifica gives one to the crowd when she doesn't get enough applause.
- Embarrassing Old Photo: Wendy shows an old photo of herself as a lanky preteen with braces to Dipper. Subverted in that she doesn't seem that embarrassed about it.
- Face Palm: Tyrone does this when Dipper Classic escapes.
- Face Plant: When Mabel attempts a front flip while singing karaoke.
- Four Is Death: The Paper Jam Clone is Clone number 4.
- Genre Savvy: Dipper is concerned his clones might betray him. He's assured by Tyrone that they won't, since they know about their Weaksauce Weakness. They do end up attacking him, but only out of desperation.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
Dipper: I shall call you "Number 2"
Dipper 2 (Tyrone): Definitely not!
- Girl Posse: Pacifica and her two friends.
- Glass-Shattering Sound: Pacifica sings a high note that shatters a plastic cup.
- Hypocritical Humor: When the clones argue over who will replace Dipper Classic:
Dipper 5: That makes, like, zero sense.
Dipper 10: *shoves Dipper 5* You make zero sense!
Dipper 5: *shoves Dipper 10 back* Watch it!
Dipper 6: *shoves Dipper 5* Don't shove people!
- I Hate Past Me: The entire reason that the clones rebel is because they haven't learned something that the original Dipper has.
- I Lied:
Dipper: Guys, c'mon. We said we weren't gonna turn on each other.
Dipper 2 (Tyrone): I think we all knew we were lying.
- I Resemble That Remark
Pacifica: Oh, Grenda, by the way, you sound like a professional wrestler. (laughs and leaves)
Grenda: I wanna put her in a headlock and make her feel pain!
- Imagine Spot: Dipper has two: One of him dancing with Wendy, and another of Robbie dancing with Wendy.
- Insult Backfire:
Mabel: Hi, I'm Mabel.
Pacifica: That sounds like a fat old lady's name.
Mabel: I'll take that as a compliment!
- Larynx Dissonance: Grenda.
- Meganekko: Candy.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: "Alright party people...and Dipper."
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The only reason why Dipper's clones attack him is that he decided to deviate from the original plan.
- Nobody Poops: Averted. Wendy and Pacifica both make a bathroom break.
- Our Clones Are Identical: Except the clones lack the tree graphic on their hat, which is where Dipper writes their identifying numbers. Also, Paper Jam Dipper is very different from the rest.
- Overly-Long Gag: Soos trying to find the thunder sound effect on his keyboard during the end credits.
- Punny Name: Pacifica Northwest, Candy Chiu.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: "Don't Start Un-Believing", down to the lyrics. Also, the first song heard during the dance sounds very similar to "Party Rock Anthem"
- Too Dumb to Live: Tyrone offers to drink some soda with original Dipper, even though any contact with liquid causes him to melt away.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: Pacifica, before and after winning the contest.
- Weaksauce Weakness: The clones can be destroyed with liquids, namely water and soda.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Upon learning how Dipper got his name Wendy jokingly comments that she'd previously just assumed that his parents hated him.
- You Are Number Six: Played straight with all the clones except Paper Jam Dipper and Number Two, who is called Tyrone.