Recap: Gravity Falls S 1 E 10 Fight Fighters
At the Gravity Falls Video Game Arcade, tensions mount between Dipper and Robbie. Robbie is unusually threatened by a twelve year old boy trying to "steal" his girlfriend, and Dipper is still convinced that a chick as cool as Wendy deserves someone much cooler than Robbie. As Wendy is going camping with her family this weekend, Robbie declares a fight between the two of them to settle things once and for all.Dipper is quickly dismayed when he realizes how completely outmatched he is. Even Grunkle Stan would bet against him. But things start to look up when, hiding out at the arcade, Dipper finds a cheat code scratched into the side of his favorite game, Fight Fighters. When he unlocks it, Dipper finds he is able to bring his favorite character, world fighting champion Rumble McSkirmish, to life! Now that'll scare the daylights out of Robbie, for sure!Except things get out of hand rather quickly...Meanwhile, Mabel tries to cure Stan of his fear of heights.
- Achievements in Ignorance: Mabel wins numerous card game despite not even knowing what they're playing."King me!"
- Affectionate Parody: To late 80s/early 90s arcade games.
- AcCENT Upon the Wrong SylLABle: Rumble talks this way. Mabel takes full advantage of it.Mabel: Wow! He's got a crazy voice! Here, say these words.
Rumble: (reading from card) Ef-fer-VESCENT! Ap-ple FRITTER! Ri-bo-FLAVIN!
- And Then I Said:Wendy: So, then I told Thompson: "Hey, save some for the rest of us!"
- Asshole Victim: Robbie nearly became this of Rumble's wrath.
- Be Careful What You Wish For:Dipper: I wish one of these guys would fight Robbie for me.
- Big "NO!": Rumble's reaction when he dematerializes after his fight with Dipper.
- Bilingual Bonus: Near the end of the episode, the symbol that appears on Rumble's back is the Chinese character for "fart".
- Black and White Morality: Being a character from a fighting video game, Rumble has this mindset. While in the real world, it functions as Black and White Insanity.
- Bond One-Liner: Dipper gives one to Rumble after Rumble wins the fight, but is about to be sent back to his game.Rumble: Winners don't lose!
Dipper: I wouldn't be too sure about that, man...
- Brick Joke: Mabel's comment on how girls choose to hate each other in silence, as opposed to how boys choose to express hatred by fighting, is repeated by Robbie near the end.
- Calling Your Attacks:
- Captain Ersatz: Rumble is Ken (and a little bit of Ryu and Sagat) from Street Fighter, down to his fighting stance, moves, and motivations.
- Captain Obvious: Rumble has "Winners don't lose!" as a victory line.
- Changing Clothes Is a Free Action: When Mabel changes into her scout's honor/fingers crossed sweater, she manages to also change her skirt and hair band. No, it's not a coloring mistake.
- Continuity Nod:
- Mabel asks if she should sic Waddles on Robbie as she did in the previous episode. Another to the same episode is how Mabel is alerted to Robbie by smell again, though this time she says he smells like 'anger and hormones' instead of body spray.
- You can see Robbie's graffiti muffin at one point when Mabel, Stan, and Robbie are on the water tower.
- Looks like Grunkle Stan finally got around to fixing the jackalope figure that broke in 'Tourist Trapped'.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Dipper really never stood a chance against Rumble.
- Department of Redundancy Department:
- Fight Fighters.
- Rumble's opening move against Dipper: "Fireball-throw-lightning-ball-throw! FIRE!!"
- Did You Die?: Soos tells Dipper a story about how his cousin Reggie got beat up by a teen once and thinks he might have died. Then Soos adds that he and Reggie were just talking about it.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Rumble.
- Enforced Cold War: Dipper and Robbie realize that if they actually fought they both would lose Wendy, so they both agree to hate each other in silence. Like girls do!
- Everything Makes a Mushroom: Rumble's finishing attack on Dipper causes a mushroom cloud shaped like a fist.
- Eyedscreen: Invoked by Dipper with a pair of boards to catch Rumble's attention and stop him from killing Robbie.
- Final Boss: Rumble sees Dipper as this.
- The Game Come to Life: Dipper meeting Rumble is the current page image.
- The Great Politics Mess-Up: Rumble runs head-on into this, being based on a video game from the late 80s/early 90s.Rumble: Now I must defeat the world's greatest Fight Fighters! Take me to the Soviet Union!
Dipper: That's gonna be tough, for a number of reasons.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Discussed by Dipper as he's looking for power-ups for Rumble in the fridge.Dipper: Well we don't have any traditional power-ups — turkey legs, pizza boxes, or gold rings.
- Inside a Computer System: Soos tries to go into a the arcade game Nort by actually climbing into the cabinet. He gets stuck in there and thinks it's the same as being Trapped in Another World.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: When Stan sees Robbie about to beat Dipper up it looks like he's coming to help, but he just wanted to watch with his friends and place bets.
- Hyperactive Sprite: Lampshaded when Dipper tells Rumble to stand still, which of course, he can't.
- Large Ham: Rumble McSkirmish.
- Limit Break: Rumble has at least two: his "FIST PUNCH RAIN!" and the combo with the Overly Long Gag name that he uses to finish Dipper.
- Limited Wardrobe: Lampshaded when Robbie points out that Dipper wears the same shorts every day.
- Love Triangle: Robbie quickly found out about Dipper's crush on Wendy in the beginning and now it has become your typical love triangle between those two.
- Lying Finger Cross: On the back of Mabel's sweater.
- Meaningful Echo: Done by Soos when Dipper realizes his responsibility to finish what he starts.Stan: Look kid, you got yourself a choice here. You can either go face him like a man, or you can hide indoors like a wimp. What'll it be?
(smash cut to Dipper in the arcade, hiding under a pinball table)
Soos: 'Wimp' it is!
Soos: You sure you wouldn't rather hide like a wimp?
(Dipper punches the "START" button to begin the fight)
Soos: 'Fight like a man' it is.
- Medium Blending: Rumble is designed like a 16-bit game sprite. All pixel animation in this episode was done by Paul Robertson, a sprite artist who's done work for video games such as the Scott Pilgrim game.Robbie: Who's your friend? And why is he... blurry?
- No Peripheral Vision: Parodied. Rumble physically can't look up because he "has no 'looking up' animation." Even though he looked up not moments ago to locate Robbie on the water tower; maybe that part counted as a cutscene.
- It was a cutscene, because it was still before the fight, while the time he can't look up is during a fight.
- Noodle Incident: During a Fight Fighters cutscene, Rumble shouts that Dr. Karate has killed his father again.
- The Nose Knows: Mabel senses Robbie coming when she smells anger and hormones.
- No, You:Mabel: Grunkle Stan, why you ackin' so cray-cray?Stan: You're the one who's ackin' cray-cray!
- Oh Crap!: So, Dipper's plan to scare off Robbie with Rumble is working like a charm! Now he'll never bother— wait, why is Rumble still beating him up?Rumble: I will not rest until the man who killed your father is destroyed!!! (runs after Robbie while tearing up the town)
Dipper: ...this isn't good.
- Overly Long Gag: SUPER POWER NINJA TURBO NEO ULTRA HYPER MEGA MULTI ALPHA META EXTRA UBER PREFIX COMBO
- Pass the Popcorn: Stan comes out of the shack carrying a bag of popcorn, prepared to watch Dipper and Robbie fight.
- Punch! Punch! Punch! Uh Oh...: Dipper gives Rumble a seemingly effective uppercut. He then looks at the lifebar, sees his opponent only lost 0.5% of his health, and runs away in a panic.
- Sheathe Your Sword: More or less how Dipper beats Rumble. When avoiding him and attacking back don't prove to work, Dipper calmly lets Rumble pummel him and take his remaining "game life". Rumble wins the fight but in doing so ends his "game" and is sent back to the arcade to his horror. Game Over indeed.
- Shout-Out: Numerous video game references throughout the episode. See the series' Shout-Out page for more complete list.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: During Mabel's first attempt at "Operation Get Stan Over His Fear of Heights".Mabel: Happy Great Uncle's Day!
Stan: (startled) Wha? There's a Great Uncle's Day?
Mabel: (laughs uncomfortably) Of course it's not a day I made up!
- Tap on the Head: Grunkle Stan's advice to Dipper for fighting Robbie.Stan: Just bonk 'im over the head! It's nature's snooze button.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Rumble.
- You Killed My Father:
- In the Fight Fighters game, Rumble's motivation is to avenge his father's death — er, deaths — at the hands of Dr. Karate.
- Rumble thinks Robbie killed Dipper's father. Dipper just goes with it.