Fair Person: Ah, ol' Fifteen-Poundy! So, how much you guessing he weighs?The ninth episode of Gravity Falls.At a fair hosted by Stan, Dipper ruins a chance to impress Wendy -in fact, driving her into Robbie's arms—while Mabel wins a pig she names Waddles. Then Dipper gets his hands on a device lost by a time traveler from the future, and decides to use it to go back in time and fix his mistake—but it turns out that doing so will cost Mabel her new pet.
Mabel: Uh... fifteen pounds?
Fair Person: Are you some kinda witch?
Mabel: Uh... fifteen pounds?
Fair Person: Are you some kinda witch?
Tropes in this episode:
- Actually Pretty Funny: Everyone laughs at Robbie's humiliation when hot water makes his pants shrink, even Wendy, his new girlfriend.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Discussed by Mabel and Dipper, regarding Robbie.Mabel: He is such a jerk.
Dipper: Yeah, but he's a jerk with tight pants and a guitar.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Mabel, when assuring Dipper she'll help him win Wendy.Mabel: Don't worry, brother. Whatever happens I'll be right here, supporting you every step of the—OHMYGOSHAPIG!! (runs off in excitement)
- Bad Future:
- So apparently, in the future, a time baby will destroy everything and take over humanity. On the plus side, humanity gets time travel.
- On a smaller scale, Dipper refusing to help save Waddles because it would blow his shot at Wendy causes a despondent Mabel to lean against the Shack's totem pole and refuse to leave. Dipper waits more than a month — until Mabel is covered with vines and has been incorporated into the tour — to go back in time to help her.
- Big "NO!": Mabel's reaction when she loses Waddles to Pacifica in one of the alternate timelines.
- Bittersweet Ending: Dipper Did Not Get the Girl, but he's learned his sister's happiness is worth the sacrifice.
- Broken Aesop: The episode teaches Dipper that it is more important to sacrifice your needs for your sibling. Except that Mabel does not do the same for him.
- Burn the Witch!: People with Torches and Pitchforks try to find Mabel after she pretends to be one.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: Occurs when Dipper and Mabel time-travel into the port-a-john.
- Call Back:
- The Time Baby was mentioned in the Freeze-Frame Bonus document in the last episode.
- In "The Inconveniencing", Mabel exclaims "the future is in the past" thanks to Smile Dip. And of course the future was indeed in the past thanks to time travel.
- In the end credits, we're reshown the three scenes from past episodes where the Blendin made background appearances.
- Chekhov's Gun: Soos speculating on what it would take to trigger the rigged dunk tank target early in the episode.
- Continuity Cavalcade: Dipper and Mabel's fight over the time machine ends up sending them tumbling around the background of the show's first three episodes.
- Continuity Nod:
- To "Irrational Treasure": Stan's mention of there being no police around, and a pioneer's swear of "By Trembley!"
- Dipper brings up the lesson he learned from "Double Dipper".
- Crappy CarnivalStan: There it is, Mabel, the cheapest fair money can rent. I spared every expense.
- Cuteness Proximity: The pig has this effect on Mabel.
- Double Meaning: When Dipper is about to willingly lose Wendy to Robbie so Mabel can win Waddles again, he tries to make her understand that people make mistakes and tight jeans are overrated.Wendy: Dude, you lost me.
Dipper: I know.
- E = MC Hammer: How Dipper tries to figure out how to avoid hitting Wendy with the baseball.
- Epic Fail: The Dipper's worst throw missed the bottles entirely and sent a whole bag full of baseballs into Wendy's face.
- Eye Scream: Wendy gets hit in the eye with a baseball in increasingly improbable ways.
- Ferris Wheel Date Moment: Wendy and Robbie have one.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Three retroactive ones: go back and watch the first three episodes carefully. Blendin's there, fixing◊ the◊ paradoxes!◊
- Friend or Idol Decision: Dipper does find a way to win the stuffed animal for Wendy and prevent Robbie from asking her out, but it requires Mabel to lose the chance to win Waddles, making her miserable. Dipper decides that Mabel being happy is more important.
- Funny Background Event: Two of them; First, Dipper sees Wendy agree to date Robbie for the first time and a heart-shaped balloon pops behind him. Later, when Dipper finally succeeds in winning Wendy a prize, a guy behind him wins the strongman game and someone shouts "We have a winner!"
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Wendy and the Duck/Panda. She declares she wants one upon seeing them as prizes, and when Dipper finally wins one for her, she has an enormous grin on her face.Wendy: This is the best present ever.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After losing Waddles, Mabel goes through one that lasts at least a day, a week, and a month.
- In the Hood: After Dipper shows him up, Robbie hides his face in his hood, his nose still sticking out.
- Ironic Echo: "Everything's different now." The first time it was said cheerfully by Mabel after she won the pig. The second time it was said by Dipper, with pure despair in his voice, after losing Wendy to Robbie.
- Meaningful Echo: The man working the baseball-throwing game tells Dipper "You only get one chance, kid." . He's right.
- Not Helping Your Case: When Blendin tries to point out that it was Dipper and Mabel causing all the chaos he's been blamed for he calls Waddles the pig their leader. Lolph and Dundgren are less than impressed.
- Necessary Fail: Turns out in order for Dipper to not hit Wendy with the baseball, Mabel has to lose Waddles.
- Place Beyond Time: Subverted. Dipper and Mabel believe that they traveled all the way to the end of time. They didn't. They were inside a Port-A-John.
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: Dipper and Mabel steal Blendin's time machine and end up ruining his life and causing all sorts of Time Paradoxes. They don't express any regret or guilt for it, and Blendin's arrest and trial are both played for laughs. Possibly justified in that it was Blendin's incompetence that granted two twelve year olds the power to mess with the time stream.
- Rhetorical Question Blunder: Blendin admonishes the twins for stealing his time machine, telling them "Do you have any idea how many rules you just broke?" Then he adds that he's actually asking that, because he wasn't there to document their rule-breaking.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: Blendin is sent back to prevent a series of time anomalies that occurred only because Dipper and Mabel got their hands on his time machine.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: The premise of the episode in the view point of Dipper. He can't fix it because hitting Wendy in the eye was meant to happen.
- Shaggy Dog Story: At the end, Dipper undoes the effect of the time travel: Wendy and Robbie start dating and Mabel wins Waddles.
- Shaped Like Itself:
- Mabel names her pig Waddles, because it waddles.
- And its previous name was Fifteen Poundy.
- When Dipper and Mabel end up in pioneer times, this exchange occurs.Pioneer 1: Be on the lookout for mountain lions, travelers.
Pioneer 2: (waving a canteen around) Dysentery, who wants dysentery?
Pioneer 3: Forge ahead mighty oxen for a new life awaits us on this (with emphasis) Oregon Trail.
- The two Time Police who show up at the end are named Lolph and Dundgren.
- "That'll do, pig. That'll do."
- When Dipper and Mabel end up in pioneer times, this exchange occurs.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Wendy gets hit by a lot of baseballs in this episode.
- Squee!: Mabel does this when she thinks the pig said her name.
- Talking Animal: Mabel thinks Waddles is one of these.
- Tempting Fate: Soos comments that the only thing that could possibly cause the rigged dunk tank to dunk Stan is a "futuristic laser arm-cannon." Guess what happens at the end of the episode.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Dipper has to let Wendy get hit by the baseball so Robbie can ask her to go steady, but Mabel has Waddles make a fool of Robbie.
- Time Travel Episode: The main plot focuses on Dipper and Mabel traveling back in time to change the day's outcome.
- Time Police: Near the end of the episode, two of them show up to arrest Blendin because of Dipper and Mabel abusing the time travel device.
- Torches and Pitchforks: These are broken out when Mabel declares herself a witch to the guy running the pig stand.
- Tyrannosaurus rex: The twins almost get eaten by one when they briefly ended up in the Cretaceous period.
- You Can't Fight Fate: No matter what Dipper does, Wendy keeps getting hit with the baseball.