His name is Waddles! I call him that because he waddles! Waaaddles!
Fair Person: Ah, ol' Fifteen-Poundy! So, how much you guessing he weighs?
Fair Person: Are you some kinda witch?
The ninth episode of Gravity Falls
At a fair hosted by Stan, Dipper ruins a chance to impress Wendy -in fact, driving her into Robbie's arms- while Mabel wins a pig she names Waddles. Then Dipper gets his hands on a device lost by a time traveler from the future, and decides to use it to go back in time and fix his mistake- but it turns out that doing so will cost Mabel her new pet.
This Gravity Falls episode provides examples of:
- Burn the Witch!: People try to find Mabel after she pretends to be one.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: Occurs when Dipper and Mabel time-travel into the port-a-john.
- Call Back:
- The Time Baby was mentioned in the Freeze-Frame Bonus document in the last episode.
- In The Inconveniencing Mabel exclaims "the future is in the past" thanks to Smile Dip. And of course the future was indeed in the past thanks to time travel.
- And three more in the end credits as each of the anomalies Blendin is asked to go fix which are set in past episodes do actually have Blandin within the scenes picking up the anomalies. Go back and check.
- Chekhov's Gun: Soos speculating on what it would take to trigger the rigged dunk tank target early in the episode.
- Continuity Nod:
- To "Irrational Treasure": Stan's mention of there being no police around, and a pioneer's swear of, "By Trembley!"
- Dipper brings up the lesson he learned from "Double Dipper."
- Crappy Carnival
Stan: There it is, Mabel, the cheapest fair money can rent. I spared every expense.
- Cuteness Proximity: The pig has this effect on Mabel.
- Double Meaning: When Dipper is about to willingly lose Wendy to Robbie so Mabel can win Waddles again, he's trying to make her know people makes mistakes and tight jeans are overrated.
Wendy: Dude, you lost me.
Dipper: I know.
- Ferris Wheel Date Moment: Wendy and Robbie have one.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Three retroactive ones: go back and watch the first three episodes carefully. Blendin's there, fixing◊ the◊ paradoxes!◊
- Funny Background Event: Two of them; First, Dipper sees Wendy agree to date Robbie for the first time and a heart-shaped balloon pops behind him. Later, when Dipper finally succeeds in winning Wendy a prize, a guy behind him wins the strongman game and someone shouts "We have a winner!"
- Heroic BSOD: After losing Waddles, Mabel goes through one that lasts at least a month, a week, and a day.
- Ironic Echo: "Everything's different now." The first time it was said cheerfully by Mabel after she won the pig. The second time it was said by Dipper, with pure despair in his voice, after losing Wendy to Robbie.
- Meaningful Echo: "You only get one chance, kid." Doubles as an Ironic Echo if you think about it.
- Necessary Fail: Turns out in order for Dipper to not hit Wendy with the baseball, Mabel has to lose Waddles.
- Place Beyond Time: Averted. Dipper and Mabel believe that they traveled all the way to the end of time. They didn't. They were inside a Port-A-John.
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: Dipper and Mabel steal Blendin's time machine and end up ruining his life and causing all sorts of Time Paradox. Yet the story acts as if they did nothing wrong.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: Blendin is sent back to prevent a series of time anomalies that occurred only because Dipper and Mabel got their hands on his time machine.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: The premise of the episode in the view point of Dipper. He can't fix it because hitting Wendy in the eye was meant to happen.
- Shaped Like Itself: Mabel names her pig Waddles, because it waddles.
- When Dipper and Mabel end up in pioneer times, this exchange occurs.
Pioneer 1: Be on the lookout for mountain lions, travellers.
Pioneer 2: (waving a canteen around) Dysentery, who wants dysentery?
Forge ahead mighty oxen for a new life awaits us on this (with emphasis) Oregon Trail
- Shaggy Dog Story: At the end, Dipper undoes the effect of the time travel: Wendy and Robbie starts dating and Mabel wins Waddles.
- Slapstick Knows no Gender: Wendy gets hit by a lot of baseballs in this episode.
- Squee: Mabel does this when she thinks the pig said her name.
- Talking Animal: Mabel thinks Waddles is one of these.
- Tempting Fate: Soos comments that the only thing that could possibly cause the rigged dunk tank to dunk Stan is a "futuristic laser arm-cannon." Guess what happens at the end of the episode.
- Time Travel Episode
- Time Police: Near the end of the episode, two of them show up to arrest Blendin because of Dipper and Mabel abusing the time travel device.
- Tyrannosaurus rex: The twins almost get eaten by one when they briefly ended up in the Cretaceous period.
- Villainy-Free Villain: Blendin is treated as a villain for... trying to keep his time machine from being abused by a pair of twelve-year-olds.
- You Can't Fight Fate: No matter what Dipper does, Wendy keeps getting hit with the baseball.