The Doctor: And I haven't. Which makes me the better person, don't you think? They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine.
- Affably Evil / Benevolent Boss: Yvonne "If it's alien, it's ours" Hartman takes care to remember the names of her employees and doesn't bat an eye at office romances ("And they think we haven't noticed").
- An Astral Projection, Not a Ghost: The "ghosts" are actually Cybermen trying to break through from Pete's World.
- Benevolent Boss: For all Yvonne is a specist, imperialistic sort, she is benevolent toward her underlings, making a point of knowing their names, and not objecting to two of them slipping out to "double-check the readings".
- BFG: Mickey has one stored in the Void Ship room.
- Bollywood Nerd: Doctor Rajesh Singh
- Brutal Honesty: No, Jackie, the Doctor does not think dead relatives coming back is beautiful. In fact, it's horrific.
- Catch Phrase: "I should say 'Allons-y' more often..." He will, but he won't find anyone called "Alonso" to say it to for a while.
- Call Back:
- The way the Cybermen hiding in Torchwood reveal themselves is a homage to the way the Mondas Cybermen clawed their way out of their pods in "Tomb of the Cybermen".
- That sarcophagus at Torchwood looks... somewhat familiar.
- A more recent example: one of Torchwood's Void gate technicians is Gareth.
- The "stay away from the scary humans" line The Doctor said back in the pilot has come true. Yvonne says that Torchwood shoots down any aliens that come into their airspace whether they're hostile or not.
- Composite Character: Yvonne Hartman is a combination of Yvonne Hartley and Doctorman Allan, from the Big Finish Doctor Who episode "Spare Parts".
- Continuity Nod: The Gelth from "The Unquiet Dead" are mentioned as a possible explanation for the ghosts.
- Critical Research Failure: Yvonne quotes energy readings in Gigawatts at one point. The Watt is a measure of power, not energy.
- Deadline News: "They're not ghosts! They're metal men-AAAGH!"
- Death by Sex: Two minor characters end up stumbling into the Cybermen's hiding place in Torchwood Tower while looking for a place for a quickie.
- Doing In the Wizard: Humans are convinced that their loved ones are returning as ghosts. The Doctor is convinced there's a scientific explanation. Of course, the Doctor is right.
- Eldritch Starship: Anyone who looks at the void ship feels there's something unnatural about it.
- Everyone Can See It: The two Torchwood employees in a relationship.
- Evil Versus Evil: Cybermen versus Daleks.
- The Exit Is That Way: "No, Doctor!"
- Foreshadowing: For Big Finish fans, the name "Yvonne Hartman" was a rather clever bit of foreshadowing for the arrival of the Cybermen: her name is based on Yvonne Hartley, from the episode "Spare Parts".
- Also, the bluetooth earpieces that all of Torchwood's personnel have. The last time we saw people wearing earpieces was in the Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel.
- The Doctor thinks the idea of loved ones coming back to life is horrific. We don't learn why until the Tenth Doctor's very last episode.
- The news announcer talking on the "Ghostwatch" segment mentions the regular gatherings of ghosts around Westminster Bridge, almost like a military display...that's because it is.
- From Bad to Worse: Okay, there's an army of five million Cybermen spread across the whole world. What next? Daleks!
- Internal Homage: Yvonne Hartman's name, to Yvonne Hartley from the Big Finish Cyberman episode "Spare Parts".
- I Will Show You X: Also counts as a Running Gag, since twisted ankles were the #1 cause of trouble in the earliest Doctor Who stories.Doctor: Lead on. But not too fast. Her ankle's going.
Jackie: I'll show you where my ankle's going.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: The Doctor passes Jackie off as an aged-up Rose so the real Rose can sneak out of the TARDIS unnoticed. When they get found out...The Doctor: Please, when Torchwood comes to write my complete history, don't tell people I traveled through time and space with her mother.
The Doctor: I've got a reputation to uphold.
- Mundane Utility: Jackie remarks that some of the technology Torchwood has developed would be great for carrying her shopping home.
- Never Heard That One Before: Yvonne, when the Doctor says Torchwood will never get inside the TARDIS, just smiles and retorts "et cetera".
- No, Except Yes:Yvonne: They're invading the whole planet.
The Doctor: It's not an invasion, it's too late for that. It's a victory.
- No Sell: Rose discovers that the agents of Torchwood have enough psychic training to resist the Doctor's psychic paper.
- Oh, Crap:
- Played for laughs when the Doctor realizes Jackie is still on-board.
- Played straight when he realizes the Cybermen didn't make the Void Ship, and when Rose and Mickey find out who's inside.
- Also Rose after the psychic paper No Sell above.
- Reverse Psychology: The Doctor uses this very effectively against Yvonne. After practically screaming her to stop breaching the dimensional walls, failing to convince her, he...suddenly stops, says "Okay", and pulls up a seat to watch what happens next. Yvonne calls the "Ghost Shift" off.
- Sinister Geometry: The Void Ship, a seamless sphere with no detectable radiation or atomic mass until the Cyberman invasion triggers it."It upsets people because it gives off — nothing. It is absent."
- Smash Cut: There's a warning on TV, telling people to stay in their homes for safety. Cut to a group of Cybermen effortlessly breaking into a family's home to attack.
- Uncommon Time: The music playing as the "ghosts" shimmer into Cybermen is in 5/4.
- Unreliable Narrator: Rose tells us this is "the story of how she died" while she is obviously still alive. She was probably referring to the fact that she was declared dead in her original universe after the events of this two-parter.
- Void Between the Worlds: The Doctor describes the Void as a completely alien realm where time, space and physical direction have no meaning we'd understand. "Some people call it Hell."
- Wham Line: "The sphere is not ours." Even better, as soon as the Cyberman says this, the Dalek theme starts playing.