It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 6 E 6 All The Way
Giles: Mist ... cemetery ... Halloween. Should end well. (slips and falls on his face)
Dawn sneaks out on Halloween night with her friend and a couple of boys. Xander and Anya announce their engagement. Tara starts criticizing Willow's use of magic.
- Accidental Innuendo (In-Universe): Buffy shows where her mind is at re Spike.
Spike: Feel like a bit of the rough and tumble?
Buffy: (startled) What?
Spike: Me...you...(Buffy's eyes widen) Patrolling. Hello?
- Amusing Injuries: The above-mentioned Prat Fall in the cemetery by Giles.
- Badass Adorable: Dawn the Delinquent.
Justin: Oh, be still my heart — cute and bad.
- Bait and Switch: The creepy old guy appears to be the Monster of the Week. Instead he's the first victim of the boys Janice and Dawn are with, who are actually vampires.
- Bare Your Midriff: Janice
- Beast and Beauty: Justin and Dawn are quite taken by each other.
- Bond One-Liner: Subverted — a vampire rushes at Buffy shouting, "Die, Slayer!" Buffy casually stakes him and goes, "Mm-hmm."
- Car Fu: Buffy kills a vampire by decapitating him with a car door.
- Call Back: Buffy is reluctant to go down to the Magic Shop's basement for fear she'll be caught in another "Groundhog Day" Loop as per "Life Serial".
Don't blame me if we have this conversation over and over... (Conversation Cut
to Buffy walking down the basement stairs) ...and over ... and over, and over.
- Comically Missing the Point: Anya dresses up as an angel called a Charlie.
We don't have wings. We just skate around with perfect hair, fighting crime
I'm gonna marry that girl. Buffy:
What?! She's fifteen and my sister
, so don't ev— (gets it) Oh.
- Curse Cut Short: Willow is cursing (not that way) a customer dressed as Wicked Witch.
Willow: And while you're at it, why don't you try removing that broomstick from your— Dawn!
Dawn: Hey. Don't stop the invective on account of me.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Buffy is clearly playing with the thought that she might "misbehave" with Spike.
- Description Cut
Dawn: Come on, it's four blocks away. Not like I'm going to be roaming the streets!
- Cut to Dawn roaming the streets.
- Janice asks excitedly, "You have a car?" Cut to one of the vampire teens throwing the dead boy of a driver out of his car.
- Buffy looks worried when she finds out Xander is going to marry Anya. "Giles, we have to do something!" Cut to them throwing Xander a party.
- Disappointed In You: Lampshaded and subverted.
Giles: We need to have a conversation.
Dawn: This the part where you tell me you're "not angry, just disappointed"?
Giles: Pretty much. Except for the bit about not being angry.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength
Buffy: (hugging Xander) You're getting married! You!
Xander: (hoarsely) Me. Choking...
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The boys are talking about going 'all the way' and then five minutes later are discussing knocking on someone's door.
- Dressed to Plunder: Xander's Halloween costume. Arr.
- The Easy Way or the Hard Way: A vampire is holding Dawn by the throat. Giles, who has already staked one vamp tonight, moves menacingly towards him.
Giles: Now, you have a choice, son. We can do this the easy way, or we can do this the ha—
Car headlights turn on; a gang of teen vampires get out of several parked cars, surrounding Giles)
Justin: What were my choices again?
- Evil Is Petty: Spike nicking burba weed from the Magic Box. Vampire teens let down car tires, throw eggs against walls and kick off mailboxes.
- Famous Last Words: (after being staked) "Dude, that sucks!"
- First Kiss: Dawn shares her first kiss with Justin. From her reaction, he figures out that it was her first. She tries to deny, before admitting that it was her first, and babbling about how bad it must have been for him. Justin replies by kissing her again. Sadly, he's actually a vampire, and becomes her first staking.
- Foreshadowing: Xander is wearing an eye patch as part of his Halloween costume. He will wear on one the other eye soon.
- Four-Fingered Hands
I could whip up a jaunty self-cleaning incantation; it'll be like Fantasia
We all know how splendidly that turned out for Mickey. (gives Willow a broom and dustpan) Willow:
I think I'm a little more adept than a cartoon mouse. Tara:
And you have more fingers, which is good, 'cause there's no need to wear those big White Gloves
- Genre Savvy: Giles
Yes, well, if anything calamitous is going to happen tonight, history suggests it will happen to us.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar
Anya: But you get to dress up and play games. Xander's gonna teach me a new one after work called Shiver Me Timbers. Ever heard of it?
Anya: How about you? Ever played?
- Gilligan Cut: Dawn's friend Janice didn't want her and her friends to go into the creepy old man's house. Sure enough...
- Glasses Pull: Xander/Anya start snogging passionately to celebrate their engagement. Giles promptly removes his glasses.
Buffy: Is that why you're always cleaning your glasses? So you don't have to see what we're doing?
Giles: Tell no one.
- Groin Attack: Dawn punches a vamp in the groin when he says how special she is...being the Slayer's sister.
- Halloween Episode
- Happy Dance: Anya's "Dance of Capitalist Superiority".
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Its Joan!
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Buffy telling Xander My Sister Is Off-Limits! — Xander hooks up with Dawn in the comic series.
- Hypocritical Humor: Willow goes Soapbox Sadie over a shopper's stereotypical Wicked Witch costume, then coos over a cute kid in the same outfit.
- Improvised Weapon: Dawn stakes a vampire with a pencil.
- It may have been the crossbow bolt Spike discharged in the air.
- Ironic Echo
"Let's just forget it ever happened. (Willow casts spell) Forget..."
- Insistent Terminology
Buffy: Were you parking?! With a vamp?
Dawn: I didn't know he was dead!"
Justin: Living dead.
- Large Ham: Pirate!Xander. Ahargh!
- Laser-Guided Amnesia / Moral Event Horizon: Willow uses a spell to wipe Tara's memory of their argument.
- Made of Plasticine: One of the vampires manages to get impaled on an old and crumbly-looking tree branch.
- Make-Out Point: Even vampire teens have them.
Buffy: Didn't anyone come here just to make out? [two human teenagers raise their hands] Awww... that's sweet. Run.
- Money to Throw Away: Anya is so happy that Xander has finally announced their engagement she tosses Dawn a bundle of money.
- Mundane Utility: Tara complains about Willow's use of magic for everyday purposes.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Xander after the responsibility of married life begins to sink in.
- Noodle Incident: The old toymaker was forced to retire when "that thing happened. One little mistake, and they took it all away from me."
- Parental Substitute: Giles is trying to avoid this trope, realising that Buffy isn't.
- Pre-Asskicking One-Liner
Buffy: (to civilians) "You, run. (to vampires) You, scream."
- Pretender Diss
Spike: You stay in on Halloween. Those are the rules.
Teen Vampire: Me and mine don't follow rules. We're rebels!
Spike: No, I'm a rebel. You're an idiot.
Buffy: (re Xander's pirate costume) You know, if you had a real peg leg, you wouldn't just have a lame costume, you'd actually be lame. Which is completely different.
- Shout-Out: "Pumpkins — very dangerous. You go first" riffs on John Rhys Davies line about asps in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Willow sees a couple dressed as Luke and Leia doing the Mating Dance and asks, "Don't they know they're brother and sister?" The Fantasia reference is to "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" where Mickey Mouse spells a broom to do the cleaning for him, only to make an even worse mess.
- Slumber Party Ploy: Dawn is "sleeping over at Janice's" (and vice versa). Afterwards the Scoobies gripe about falling for such an old ploy, let alone one they've used themselves.
- Soapbox Sadie: Willow's tendencies towards this reappear. Seems like it gets worse around the holidays.
- Stab The Salad: The creepy-looking man is wielding a knife and talking about how he's going to give Dawn and her friends "something special" for Halloween. Turns out it's a baked dish.
- Stealth Hi/Bye / Casual Kink: Buffy jumps as she bumps into Spike.
Buffy: Bell. Neck. Look into it.
- Stock Phrases: Dawn asks if she can get a tattoo.
Buffy: Over my dead body. The kind that doesn't come back.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial
(re Xander's marriage) I can't believe it. Seems like only yesterday you had to pay a girl to date you. Xander:
Like I'd ever pay. (snickers nervously) Define 'date.'
- Terror At Makeout Point
- Title Drop: As the two vampires are discussing what to do with Dawn and Janice.
Zack: So what do you think? Lunchables? Or should we go all the way and turn them?
- Too Much Information: Spike mixes burba weed with the blood he drinks.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Spuffy
Buffy: So much easier to talk to when he just wanted to kill me.
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: Looking for Dawn in the crowded Bronze, Willow suggests a spell to shift everyone who isn't a fifteen year old girl into an Alternate Universe. This proves the last straw for Tara.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Anya the Angel.
- You Must Be Cold: Justin gives Dawn his letterman jacket when she starts shivering. After his death she's seen cradling it in her lap.
- Your Door Was Open: Buffy barges into Spike's crypt as usual.
Spike: You know in civilized cultures, that's called trespassing.
Buffy: Good thing you're uncivilized.