Angel learns Jasmine's true name and uses it to defeat her.
- Above Good and Evil
There are no absolutes, no right and wrong. Haven't you learned anything working for The Powers
? There are only choices. I offered paradise; you chose this!
- A Million is a Statistic / Utopia Justifies the Means: The atrocities committed by Jasmine's cronies are shrugged off by her as "birth pains."
"Yes. I murdered thousands... to save billions!"
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking
Jasmine: (crying) Why do you hate me so much?
Angel: Let's run down the list, huh? Rain of fire, blotting out the sun, enslaving mankind, and, yeah, oh, yeah, hey, you eat people!
- Assimilation Plot: Jasmine intends to use satellite broadcasting to spread her message all over the world.
- Battle Discretion Shot: The last thing we see of Angel's battle with the Keeper of the Word is a Hoist Hero Over Head. This does not look good. But then Angel turns up at the eleventh hour to stop Jasmine, holding the Keeper's head.
- Big "NO!": Jasmine just before her true name is revealed, destroying her power.
- Black Speech: Jasmine's true name doesn't sound like anything that can be pronounced by a human voice.
- Bodyguard Betrayal: Jasmine is all set to double-team against Angel with Connor — who immediately turns on Jasmine, killing her instantly. Especially cold given that Jasmine was elated to see him again, having had everyone else reject her.
- Car Fu: Jasmine tries to drop a station wagon on Angel.
- Cliffs Of Insanity: Angel has a long climb up to the temple. When he gets there, the High Priest tells Angel not to worry as his return journey will be a lot quicker.
- Converse with the Unconscious: Connor finds where Jasmine has been hiding Cordelia's unconscious body and pours out his angst to her. There's a lot to angst about.
- Crapsack World: Los Angeles falls into chaos and rioting the moment Jasmine's control is destroyed.
- Cryptically Unhelpful Answer / The Trope without a Title: Angel is Perp Sweating the High Priest to find out Jasmine's true name.
High Priest: (choking) Keeper!
High Priest: The true name is known only by the Keeper of the Name.
Angel: Right. (grabs the priest's neck again) That's you!
High Priest: No, I am the Guardian of the Word!
Angel: You said the word is the name.
High Priest: Yes, and I guard the Keeper of it.
Angel: So you're the Keeper's keeper?
- Debate and Switch: The issue of whether Utopia Justifies the Means is conveniently put aside by Jasmine eating people, and later deciding to destroy the world in an act of pique.
- Despair Speech
Connor: I want to stop. Stop fighting. I just want to rest. God, I want to rest. But I can't. (looks at Cordelia with tears in his eyes) It's not working, Cordy. I tried. I tried to believe. I wanted it. Went along with the... the flow. (paces) Jasmine, she's...she's bringing peace to everyone, purging all of their hate and anger. But not me. (chuckles, then angrily) Not me! I know she's a lie. Jasmine. My whole life's been built on them. I just... I guess I thought this one was better than the others.
- Do Not Adjust Your Set: Jasmine's on every channel.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu
Jasmine: Where's Angel?
Wesley: You're omniscient. You tell us.
- Played straight after Jasmine loses everything — at first she's too distraught for revenge, but when Angel follows her she starts tossing him about the place and declaring she's going to kill all life on Earth.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: With a single punch too.
- The Easy Way or the Hard Way
Angel: (walks up to the Keeper of the Word) Ok, big guy, you got a name I need. So we can either do this the easy way or the hard way. (the Keeper stands) But you're gonna give me her name or— (the Keeper growls menacingly at Angel) Right. The hard way.
Reporter: What can we do to show our love for you?
Jasmine: You don't have to do anything except love one another. (smiles broadly) Although a temple would be nice. Something massive and awe-inspiring, yet warm and nurturing.
- Empty Shell: Connor killing Jasmine.
Angel: I've never seen him like this. He wasn't hurt or angry, he just... killed her. And his face, it—it was just blank, like he had nothing left.
- False Reassurance: A girl stripping off so she can be eaten by Jasmine pours out her woes. Jasmine reassures her she'll never be bothered by her problems again.
- Glamor Failure / Nightmare Face
- Evil Gloat-y: Jasmine after capturing the Fang Gang.
- Evilutionary Biologist: Before crossing over to Earth, Jasmine first took over a race of insectoids. Her chosen followers were evolved into scaly humanoids with telepathic powers.
Lorne: Uh huh, and how'd that work out for them?
Jasmine: (beat) It was a trial run.
- Facial Horror: Mass hysteria ensues when Jasmine's Nightmare Face is revealed; she tries to shapeshift to a more appealing form, but her face is still covered in boils and lessions.
- A bit of Fridge Horror: Connor always saw Jasmine's true face, and still allowed her to hug him.
- A bit of Fridge Brilliance kicks in when you remember that Connor was raised in one of the darkest dimensions in existence. Considering the kind of demons and monsters he grew up with. Jasmine appearance wouldn't even phase him
- Hannibal Lecture: The (captive and being interogated) High Priest tells Angel he's not fighting for his friends (who Angel assumes are already dead) or a world that doesn't care for him, but for his son — whom he's already lost.
High Priest: So much effort, always struggling, trying to make things right for the boy, for Connor, but it's never enough. Why do you bother?
Angel: (struggling with the Keeper of the Word) I can see you never had kids.
- Hoist By Their Own Petard: Angel removes Jasmine's cloaking spell during her televised broadcast to the world.
- I Did What I Had to Do
Angel: Jasmine, it's over. You've lost.
Jasmine: I've lost? Do you have any idea what you've done?
Angel: What I had to do.
- If I Wanted You Dead... (Inverted Trope)
Jasmine: I know where Angel is, and I know what he's looking for. He's wasting his time.
Wesley: If you really believed that, you'd have killed us already.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Implied to be Jasmine's true motivation for enslaving the human dimension. When Angel breaks her hold over mankind, she's visibly saddened when her once-devoted worshipers flee her in revulsion and panic.
- I Know Your True Name
- Insult Backfire: Angel says the free will is what makes people human.
Jasmine: But you're not human!
Angel: Working on it.
- Killed Mid-Sentence / Friend or Foe
High Priest: [Connor] will never love you.
Angel: It doesn't matter.
(The Keeper grabs a torch and swings it like a baseball bat at Angel.)
High Priest: Foolish dead th—
(Angel ducks, and the Keeper misses him, knocking the High Priest into spikes on the wall.)
Angel: Oh, that'll work.
- Last Villain Stand: After her brainwashing powers are lost, Jasmine declares that if she can't rule the world she's going to destroy it. She shrugs off everything Angel tries to throw at her, but she doesn't get to enjoy her spree for long because Connor, whose immunity to her powers apparently stretch to ignoring her invulnerability, swoops in and kills her.
- Losing Your Head: The Keeper of the Word has his mouth sewn shut. After cutting off his head, Angel cuts the threads and the name issues forth.
- Meaningful Echo: In the season premiere Angel told Connor, "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh, and cruel. But that's why there's us."
Connor: You know...what this was all about? Protecting our baby—Jasmine—so she can...be, and make this world the kind of place you wanted. And it is better. Not harsh and cruel; the way that Angel likes it so he has a reason to fight. Cause you know that's what he's about, him and the others. Finding reasons to fight. Like that's what gives their lives any meaning.
- Mundane Solution: Gunn keeps kicking the door to their cage until it finally opens.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast / Spell My Name with a "The": The Blessed Devourer.
- Neck Lift
- Neglectful Precursors: Jasmine has abandoned her 'trial run' planet, and only a dedicated few still believe in her.
- The Nose Knows: Connor picks up Cordelia's scent on the men Jasmine used to hide her body.
- Not Brainwashed: Due to their blood relation, Jasmine's powers never worked on Connor. He was just so jaded and messed up by that point that her "peace at the cost of free will" plan seemed like a good deal, even if he never actually felt the same bliss everyone else did. Nor does her Nightmare Face freak him out, as he'd seen worse horrors growing up in a hell dimension.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero
Jasmine: Remember the prophecy, Angel? The one that says in the time of the apocalypse, you'd play a major part? How you never knew whether you'd be on the side of good or evil? Well, now you know. Thanks to you, this frail, little Power That Was has just enough strength in her to wipe out your whole species. And it's all on your hands.
- Oracular Head
- Omnicidal Maniac: With her powers stripped and followers gone, Jasmine decides to take up Angel's offer of helping him make the world a better place... One body at a time.
- "Open!" Says Me: Connor arrives at the church where Cordelia's body is lying in state to find the entrance boarded up and two police officers who politely ask him to leave. Smash Cut to both of them being hurled through the barrier by Connor.
- Perp Sweating
Connor: Tell me, and I'll crush your windpipe.
Man: You mean "or," right? Or you'll crush my windpipe?
- Pseudo Crisis: Angel just holds out the Key and hundreds of spider demons walk off and leave him alone.
- Redemption Rejection: Even after all she's done, Angel still tries for a reconciliation. Jasmine clobbers him in response.
- See You in Hell
Angel: Go to hell!
Jasmine: You first, baby.
- Shock and Awe: Averted when Angel tries to zap Jasmine with a power line.
Angel: Worth a shot.
- Shout-Out: The gang find the Hyperion deserted and comment on how creepy it is "in a post-apocalyptic Night of the Comet kind of way." Night of the Comet is believed to have been a major inspiration for Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Smoke Shield: Jasmine, after getting zapped by a downed power line. Turns out once you've endured the Big Bang, electricity isn't a much of a hinderence.
- Stepford Smiler: Connor, who can't feel any of the peace and love inherent in Jasmine's followers.
- Super Strength
- Take It to the Bridge: Angel tracks the depowered Jasmine to an overpass, where she proceeds to Motive Rant as the city erupts into chaos.
- Take-That Kiss; Jasmine plants one on Angel during their final confrontation. Considering all those oozing pustules... ew.
Connor: Always the same, Dad. I get a girl, you gotta make a play for her.
- Tantrum Throwing
- Tempting Fate: Jasmine stands on a bridge, watching the City of Angels tear itself apart.
Angel: OK, it's not the world that you wanted, but maybe you can still help us make it better, even if you have lost your powers.
- To Serve Man: Jasmine needs to regularly eat humans whole for nourishment. When Gunn finds out about this, he screams "To Serve Man! It's To Serve Man all over again!" When Angel mentions this as one of his reasons for opposing her, she quickly retorts "Like you never have?"
- Thwarted Coup de Grâce: Connor has taken the Fang Gang prisoner and is about to cut them down with his sword, when Jasmine interrupts with a Bring Them To Me.
- Utopia Justifies the Means
- Walk In Chime In / Schiff One-Liner
Angel: I've got a bad feeling. [Connor]'s just...given up. I think he's gonna do something. You know, he might—
Lilah Morgan: End world peace? Well, you already took care of that. Congratulations.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Jasmine holds the Fang Gang as bargaining chips in case Angel turns up. Averted when he does show up — Jasmine shouts at her followers to kill him immediately, only to back off when Angel shows them the Keeper's head.
- Your Head Asplode: Connor puts a fist through Jasmine's head. Splat.