Recap: Angel S 02 E 17 Disharmony
Cordelia's old school friend-turned-vampire Harmony arrives on the scene, looking for some direction after breaking up with Spike
. Cordelia is determined to give her one. Meanwhile Angel is trying to get back in Cordy's good books, but thinks her attempts to help Harmony are doomed to failure.
- Ambiguously Gay: Cordelia praises Angel's taste in clothes. "You have a gay man's taste! And that's saying something!"
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking
Cordy: "And you know, you didn't just betray me, Angel. You didn't just hurt me. You gave away my clothes."
Angel: "To the needy."
Cordy: "I am the needy!
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Doug Sander's Rousing Speech to an apparent vampire army turns out to be a motivational speech for vampires.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT rip pages from an ex-Watcher's Tome of Eldritch Lore.
- The Big Board: Used to plot the disappearances.
- Big Damn Heroes: Subverted; Wesley and Angel kick down Cordy's door thinking that Harmony is attacking her.
Wesley: "Get away from her (realizes that Harmony is painting Cordy's toenails) foot!"
- Later the Fang Gang sneak in to rescue the humans held in the Palace Theatre, only to find Harmony has tipped off the vampires they are coming.
- Blatant Lies
Cordy: "Imagine what could have happened if you'd gone nuts and slept with Darla."
Angel: [looking shifty] "You know I would never do that..."
- Call Back: In Season 3 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Xander ended their post-relationship Snark-to-Snark Combat by buying Cordelia a dress for the prom — Angel likely had this incident in mind when he tries the same tactic.
- Computer Equals Monitor: Harmony shorts out a computer by spilling her cup of blood on the keyboard.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life
- Dramatic Gun Cock: Both Wes and Cordy do this rather implausibly with (already strung) pistol crossbows.
- Dramatic Irony: Anyone who watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer concurrently already knows that Harmony is a vampire.
- Erotic Eating: Harmony describes drinking human blood to Angel in luscious terms.
Harmony: "I mean how do you stand everything? Being what you are, how can you deprive yourself of the taste? The sensation of rich, warm, human blood (Angel's eyes glaze over) flowing into your mouth - bathing your tongue - caressing your throat with its sweet, sticky..."
- Feet First Introduction / Lingerie Scene: Hungry!Harm sneaks into Cordy's room in a white negligee and pink fuzzy slippers.
- Foreshadowing: Willow's brief cameo prepares the audience for her appearance in the season finale to inform Angel of Buffy's death.
- Ghost Butler: Phantom Dennis continues to look out for Cordy, slamming the door to wake her up when Harmony sneaks into her bedroom.
- Gilligan Cut: From Wesley talking about how upset Cordy is to her laughing over old times with Harmony.
- Guns Akimbo: Harmony laughs over how Cordy has her pistol crossbow pointed at her throat, as that won't kill her. Cordy says it will hurt a lot, and the second crossbow she's holding lower down will certainly do the job.
- Half Truth: Plenty of this from Harmony when she's filling in Cordy on what happened since they last met.
Harmony: "Hey, I'm not the same person I was back at Sunnydale High.
- Happy Dance: Angel even joins in briefly.
Cordy: "La, la, la, la, la, new clothes! I have new clothes!"
- Have You Tried Not Being a Monster?: Inverted - after Harmony tries to sneak into her bedroom in the middle of the night, Cordelia assumes she's a lesbian. In reality...
- Heel Face Mole: Harmony is sent into the Palace to spy on the cult, but decides Doug's message is more appealing.
- Hollywood Healing: Averted; Wes is out of his wheelchair but is still in visible pain from any strenuous activity. Not that it stops him.
- Hollywood Tone Deaf: Cordy takes Harmony to sing for the Host. After listening to her butcher "The Way We Were" he comments, "I think your friend should reconsider the name Harmony." (In truth Mercedes McNab sings a bit too well in that scene.)
- Hypocritical Humor: Wesley telling Angel he can't buy Cordelia's affection, only to be let Death Glaring over Cordy's Happy Dance.
- In the Hood
- Kill 'em All: Doug smugly tells our heroes to put down their weapons as they're outnumbered.
Doug: "Really Angel, you don't want all your friends to die horribly now, do you?"
Angel: "No I don't. Wesley?"
Wesley: "Kill 'em all!" [Team Wesley spring into action]
- Made of Explodium: Harmony turns the computer screen into a smouldering wreck by spilling coffee on the keyboard.
- Meaningful Name: Wes notes that Cordy calling her friend 'Harm' is quite appropriate.
- Mistaken for Gay: Sneaking into your friend's bedroom in the middle of the night and talking about how you'd love to sink your teeth into her can lead to misunderstanding.
- Motor Mouth: Harmony. She never...shuts...up!
- Not Himself: Angel is trying so hard to get in Cordy's good books he agrees that Harmony shouldn't be staked on sight. Cordy gives him a funny look while Wesley's immediate response is to point his crossbow at Angel in case he's turned evil.
- Nothing Personal
Wesley: That is not your friend. That thing may have your friend's memories and her appearance, but it's just a filthy demon, an unholy monster. Uh, no offence.
- Off with His Head! / An Axe to Grind: Angel kills Doug Sanders with a fire axe.
- Ponzi: Doug Sanders is running a vampire pyramid scheme.
"One vampire turns two humans into vampires. (flicks a switch to the next slide showing the next level down) they each turn to more humans into vampires (flicks to the next slide) and they turn to more into vampires(flick) and so on (flick) and so on. And all it takes for each new vampire to buy their way into our co-op is one, you heard me, *one* human - to be deposited here in our very own food bank
- Power Walk: Angel, Cordelia, Wesley and Gunn are on their way to rescue the humans captured by Doug's cult. The camera starts with a group shot, then focuses on each of their intent expressions in turn, then suddenly reveals that Harmony is skipping along beside them.
- Put on a Bus: Until Season 5, when Harmony returns as a regular character.
- Right Behind Me: Cordelia is on the phone to Willow, who informs her that Harmony is a vampire. Cue Scare Chord as Harmony appears behind her wanting to know what Cordy is talking about.
- Sarcasm Mode: Angel suggests sending Cordy flowers to make up with her.
Angel: "Yeah, uh, to say, you know, 'thanks.' Uhm. 'Sorry about the migraines.' Uhm, you know, 'I appreciate you?'"
Wesley: "Yes, by all means. And uh, while you're at it pick me up one of those 'sorry you were shot in the gut' bouquets."
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here: Even though there's enough vampires to overwhelm the Fang Gang by sheer force of numbers, the others take off when they see how their colleagues are faring.
- Ship Tease: Cordelia is the only one of his friends that Angel is really trying to make up with, and Cordy's hurt over Angel's abandonment suggest her feelings for him are stronger than she wants to admit.
- Staking the Loved One: Averted; Cordy just tells Harm to get out of LA, unable to bring herself to shoot her former friend.
- Stealth Insult: After hearing her sing, the Host calls her "my little cacophony".
- Terror At Makeout Point: Cordy sees a couple out parking being attacked by hooded vampires.
- This Is My Chair: Wesley is pacing up and down in front of Angel, lecturing him on how he needs a serious attitude change. Angel realises he's listening to this speech from Wesley's Cool Chair and big boss desk and so quickly excuses himself, only to find his 'friends' have set up a small kiddy desk for him. And expect him to make the coffee.
- Vampire Invitation
Cordy: "You got a place to stay?"
Harmony: "You offering?"
Cordy: "Do I have to say it?"
- We Can Rule Together: Doug's speech in this area needs a little work.
[while trying to kill Angel with a fire axe] "Why are you working with these humans, Angel? You should be maximizing you inner potential, empowering your vampire self."
- What the Hell, Hero?: Wesley uses his new boss status to lecture Angel on exactly how he sucked as boss.
Wesley: "This won't be easy for any of us, Angel. You're going to have to change your behavior. Engage your co-workers from time to time. Be sensitive to their feelings, their opinions, especially before you take some action one might construe as...oh, let's just call it insane. It goes a long way to show you - appreciate and respect them. [beat] This is torture for you, isn't it."
- Why We Can't Have Nice Things: Harmony rips a page out of an ancient book to dispose of her gum, causing Wesley to flip out.
Wesley: What are you doing?! This book is 12 centuries old!
Harmony: Okay, so it's not like I messed up a new one.
- You Get Me Coffee: The newly-repentant Angel asks what he can do to help around the office.
Wesley: "I'd love a cup of coffee."
Angel: (with a laugh) "That's, that's very funny."
[Wesley slides the doors to his new office shut in Angel's face. Angel turns around to look at Cordy and Gunn.]
Cordy: "Two sugars in mine."
Gunn: "Mocha cappuccino here."
[Both of them walk off, leaving Angel standing there alone]
Angel: "Man. Atonement's a bitch."
- You Know I'm Black, Right?
Cordelia: [on phone with Willow] Ohhh! Harmony's a vampire? That's why she... Oh, my God, I'm so embarrassed. [giggles and chuckling wryly]
Cordelia: All this time, I thought she was a great big lesbo...! [long pause while Willow says something]
Cordelia: Oh, yeah? Really? Well that's great. Good for you!
Willow: [dryly] Thanks for the affirmation.