Tegan and Sara
are an Indie Pop
/Rock/Synth Pop band hailing from Alberta, Canada, led by identical twin sisters Tegan and Sara Quin.
The twins began as musicians at about age fifteen, writing songs and playing guitar, and were able to record a few demo albums throughout their late teens, culminating in their first whole album Under Feet Like Ours
, released independently in 1999, and they were placed on the figurative scene with their signing on by Vapor Records and the release of their second album, This Business Of Art
, the next year.
They'd prove to gain popularity two albums later (after If It Was You
, starting with So Jealous
), and have come out with another three albums since then (The Con
The two live and songwrite separately, each sister usually writing the music and singing the melody to her own songs, which often results in their albums being interestingly divided stylistically in music and lyrics. In addition to their music
, they're known among fans for their concert banter; approachable, likable, and very "real" personas; and, to a level, the fact that they're both lesbian
- Tegan and Sara Quin - Vocals, guitar, keyboard
- Ted Gowans - Guitar, keyboard
- Shaun Huberts - Bass
- Johnny "Five" Andrews - Drums
- Under Feet Like Ours (1999)
- This Business Of Art (2000)
- If It Was You (2002)
- So Jealous (2004)
- The Con (2007)
- Sainthood (2009)
- Heartthrob (2013)
These musicians provide examples of:
- The All-Concealing I: Most of their songs are written from the first person perspective and rarely uses any gender-specific pronouns or references. So the relationships described in the songs can be read as a heterosexual or homosexual depending on the listener's preference.
- A notable exception to this is "Now I'm All Messed Up" from Heartthrob, which makes an explicit reference to the subject of the song wearing makeup.
- Awesome McCoolname: Tegan Rain Quin and Sara Keirsten Quin.
- Breakup Song: A few various ones. They'd include "Not With You", "You Went Away", "City Girl", "Don't Confess", "Where Does The Good Go", and "Call It Off". In general, their lyrics are often a bit melancholic.
- All of Tegan's songs in "The Con" was inspired by a breakup.
- Built With LEGO: The music video for "Everything is Awesome", the song they recorded for The LEGO Movie.
- Canada, Eh?
- Evolving Music
- Intercourse with You: "All You Got" is the best Yuri Fans will get out of them.
- "Closer" and "Bodywork" with Morgan Page could count too.
- Love Martyr: The main character of "I Was A Fool" regrets having been one of these.
- New Sound Album: Synthed-up So Jealous is a notable change from the comparatively folky If It Was You.
- Then "Sainthood" was the rockier departure from "The Con"
- Don't forget "Heartthrob" is a huge departure from *everything* they've done.
- Non-Appearing Title: The titles of Under Feet Like Ours, This Business Of Art, If It Was You, and Sainthood don't actually appear in the albums. Sainthood, however, is titled after the Leonard Cohen lyric that inspired its songs.
- Sibling Team
- Silly Love Songs: If nothing else, "Underwater" actually uses the phrase - "For now, my head is in the clouds/I'm a silly love song/A twisted-elbow crush song..."
- Shout Out: See the above comment about Sainthood
- Also Fat Mike of NOFX shouted them out in a song about meeting one of them at a festival. Although he doesn't seem sure which one he met, the song was called "Creeping Out Sara".
- Sara, when asked about the song: "I am Sara, and I was creeped out."
- Stalker with a Crush: "Living Room" comes off this way - "My windows look into your bathroom, where I spend the evening watching you get yourself clean..."
- Twin Banter: And HOW!
- Vitriolic Best Buds: They bicker on stage and in interviews. A lot.
- Sara: I wouldn’t say I miss her [Tegan], but sometimes when we’ve taken a month off or something, we’ll be flying somewhere and I’ll see her at the airport, and I’ll get excited like “Look there’s Tegan!” And then she’ll start talking and I’ll be like, “I hate you, you’re so annoying!"