Music: The The
The The are an English new wave group that was popular among the college crowd mainly during The '80s. Singer/songwriter Matt Johnson is the only consistent member.
- Soul Mining, 1983
- Infected, 1986
- Mind Bomb, 1989
- Dusk, 1993
- Hanky Panky, 1995
- NakedSelf, 2000
Tropes associated with The The:
- Apocalypse How: For "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)", a Class 2.
- Cover Album: Hanky Panky, a collection of Hank Williams covers.
- Deadpan Snarker: Matt.
- Eagleland: A strong Type 2 in pretty much every song that refers to America.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Prior to the recording of Soul Mining, Matt released an experimental, largely instrumental solo album for 4AD entitled Burning Blue Soul. It has since been accepted as canon and re-issued under the The The moniker.
- I Am the Band: From 1982 to 1987, Matt didn't have a set lineup for The The, choosing to use various musicians for recording and touring.
- Protest Song: A good portion of their discography is this. Infected and Mind Bomb are essentially Protest Albums.
- Punny Name: "The Beat(en) Generation"
- Revolving Door Band: From 1982 to 1987.
- Spell My Name with a "The": Two of 'em, in fact.