This work covers the manga. For the anime, see Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's.
Yusei Fudo is a powerful duelist living in Satellite. After having a friendly duel with his friend Sect Injuin, a mysterious being called The Skeleton Knight appears and kidnaps Sect forcing Yusei to duel the knight to save his friend. While heading to the hospital to help Sect who was injured in the duel, Yusei is attacked by Jack Atlas who forces him into a duel. Despite his best efforts, Yusei loses the duel and becomes frustrated due to his loss. Yeager appears and offers Yusei a chance to face Jack Atlas again by entering the D1 Grand Prix. Yusei wasn't sure about entering the tournament at first but he changed his mind after meeting Aki Izayoi. Yusei enters the D1 Grand Prix in hopes of getting another chance to duel Jack Atlas once more. However sinister things are happening behind the scenes...
Published in Shueisha's V-Jump in Japan and Shonen Jump
in US before its cancellation, the manga is based off of the anime and although it features the same cast, the storyline is completely different.
The manga is written by Masahiro Hikokubo and supervised by Kazuki Takahashi.
This work provides examples of:
- Alternate Continuity
- Balloon Belly: Rua and Crow in a omake.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: Duelists that are possessed by their Duel Dragons.
- Demonic Possession: Like above, Duelists can be controlled by their Duel Dragons.
- The Dragon: Sect under the Skeleton Knight's control
- Drunk on the Dark Side: See Black Eyes of Crazy.
- Dub Name Change: In the English version, all the main characters keep their English names but the characters that appear in the manga do not.
- Certain names that appear in the manga have been changed in the English version:
- Feel > Sense
- Dark Feel > Shadow Sense
- Purgatory > Void
- Card of Darkness/Dark Card > Shadow Card
- Sky Fortress Seibel > Aerial Fortress Seibel
- The Wizard of the Forest > The Black Magician of the Forest
- Expy: Six of the Duel Dragons look exactly like the Signer Dragons but with weird markings on their bodies.
- The Sky Fortress Seibal is similar to the Ark Cradle
- Evil Counterpart: Underworld Dragon Dragonecro's monster effect allows it to create these.
- Faux Affably Evil: Rex Godwin, as usual. While it's clear from the beginning, and even moreso during the first stage of the D1 Grand Prix, that he has some sort of plan, the true depths he's willing to sink to beat Skeleton Knight are made quite clear with his willingess to Mind Rape Ruka and use her as a pawn to bring out Yusei's full potential
- Fun with Acronyms: V.S.F.L. (Virtual Soild Feel Lab). Changed to V.S.S.L. (Virtual Soild Sense Laboratory) in the English version.
- Ill Boy: Crow's younger brother Yoshi.
- Inconsistent Dub
- In the Hood: Ruka and Shinto Priest.
- Mirror Match: Crow fights a dark copy of himself, the only difference between the two being that his copy has a Duel Dragon.
- Red Baron: King of Divine Punishment, Black Highlander
- Scarf of Asskicking: Yusei wears one in Rides 15-16 during his duel with Hunter Pace. He is also seen wearing it during the flashbacks of his Training from Hell.
- Sinister Scythe: Black Highlander wields one.
- Soul Jar: During the finals of the D1 Grand Prix, Yeager traps the souls of Duelists in cards.
- The Cameo: Carly in Ride 9.
- The Reveal: The Skeleton Knight is actually Rudger Godwin.
- Urban Legend: The Skeleton Knight.