Manga: CLAMP School Detectives
To protect and serve women all around, is CLAMP's detectives' noble goal.Clamp School Detectives
is a 3 volume manga series made by CLAMP
(creators of Card Captor Sakura
, Angelic Layer
, Magic Knight Rayearth
, Tokyo Babylon
, etc....), which was adapted into a 26 episode anime in 1997. It tells the adventures of the Elementary School Student-board, solving cases and easing the life of all kinds of women. Aiding them are the Kindergarten Class President Utako and her best friend Nagisa, who are sorta smitten with them. However, their hardest case will be one regarding Nokoru's past...
CLAMP's manga Man of Many Faces
(which stars Akira
as the elusive thief 20 Faces) and Duklyon: CLAMP School Defenders
both Cross Over
with CLAMP School Detectives
, and Manga/X1999
is also partially set in CLAMP School.
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: No kidding.
- The Ace: Nokoru
- Adaptation Expansion: The original 3-volume manga series was basically a series of vignette stories about the boys solving crime, and it had no proper ending. The 26-episode anime gave more insight into the backstories of the heroes, gave significant attention to the two main couples, Suoh/Nagisa and Akira/Utako, and even gave Nokoru a nemesis in the finale to test his might.
- All-Loving Hero: Nokoru has shades of this, though it comes out mostly in relation to the ladies.
- Attractive Bent-Gender
- Baseball Episode
- Beach Episode
- Big Brother Instinct: Develops into something more
- Bishie Sparkle
- Bodyguard Crush: But no HoYay, sorry
- Cheerful Child: Akira.
- Chick Magnet: All three of the detectives, but especially Nokoru.
- Cross Dresser: In an episode, Nokoru dresses as an Elegant Gothic Lolita, and very convincingly...
- Cross Over: Nokoru plays an important part in Duklyon: CLAMP School Defenders, and Suoh and Akira also show up. More notably, the three of them show up in X1999, as adults, and help Kamui seal the Holy Sword. Also, Miyuki-chan shows up often in the anime.
- Cooking Duel: Without the 'duel' part.
- Declaration of Protection: Suoh to Nokoru, in a somewhat platonic version. So far, not many complications.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: Idomu Yudaiji. Only in appearance.
- Elaborate University High: Like you wouldn't believe.
- Elevator School
- Evolving Credits
- Eye Catch
- The Faceless: Possibly parodied: the Chairwoman aka Nokoru's mother frequently hides her eyes on purpose with a fan or a set of blinds whenever the camera could have gotten a good shot of her upper face.
- Lawyer-Friendly Cameo / Writing Around Trademarks: Apparently, the Chairwoman is based on a character named Imonoyama Rarisa, who appeared in some of CLAMP's old doujinshi (SHOTEN, I think). However, some of CLAMP's members split in the interim, and one of them took the rights to the character Rarisa with her. So the face hiding and general crypticness surrounding the Chairwoman was basically due to avoiding trademark/copyright.
- Festival Episode
- Fiction 500: The Imonoyama family founded the CLAMP Academy, which acts as a self contained city, and doesn't actually charge any tuition.
- Freudian Trio: With Nokoru as the Id, Suoh as the Supergo and Akira as the Ego.
- Green-Eyed Monster: One of Nokoru's admirers in the manga, who sent threats to the Elementary Division Council so they would cancel an upcoming ball... because she didn't want to see Nokoru dancing with anyone else. At one point, she actually acted on the threat and pushed Nokoru off a high place — although she regretted it later when Suoh got hurt catching Nokoru's fall. In the anime, it's much more complicated...
- Guile Hero: Nokoru, especially during the last anime arc.
- High-Speed Missile Dodge: Suoh saved Nagisa from them
- I Have the High Ground: The last episodes' antagonist was fond of hiding in tall places, like the School's clock tower.
- I Kiss Your Hand: Nokoru, more than once, to one-shot females.
- Improbable Age: Nokoru, who is responsible for a whole sector of the Imonoyama Zaibatsu and has been coveted by NASA at the age of eight. And Suoh, who managed to take down a houseful of adult men, trained in martial arts, working for the woman who had kidnapped Nokoru... at the age of seven. And, of course, Akira, a highly skilled chef, and a very famous thief, at the age of nine/ten.
- Karma Houdini: Some girls get away with things they really shouldn't, because they're girls and Nokoru's a gentleman.
- Last Episode New Character: Appeared where there were only five episodes left...
- Late for School: Inverted: they LIVE in the school.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Utako and Akira.
- Meganekko: Some of the students.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: A variation in Nokoru's case: he has an uncanny ability of knowing when there's a damsel in distress close by. It also gives him Super Reflexes.
- Names to Know in Anime: Akemi Okamura (Nokoru), Shiho Niiyama (Suoh), Omi Minami (Akira), Yuko Miyamura (Utako).
- New Transfer Student: Related with Last Episode New Character.
- Ninja: Suoh
- Official Couple: Suoh/Nagisa and Akira/Utako.
- Old-School Chivalry: Nokoru's lifestyle.
- One Head Taller: Straight in Suoh-Nagisa, inverted in Akira-Utako.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Again related with the New Transfer Student.
- OOC Is Serious Business: The one time Nokoru ever treats a lady with less than infinite patience is when he and Suoh are kidnapped in the Escape for Victory storyline. It's stated it's because Nokoru is worried about endangering Suoh... and when the lady in question actually threatens Suoh, Nokoru sends her the nastiest glare he's ever sent to a woman in the series. It's quite telling that she's the only woman in the series who is punished for her evil acts.
- Princely Young Man: Nokoru is a Prince Charming type, with Suoh standing in for his Battle Butler.
- School Idols.: Taken ever so slightly to excess.
- School Play
- Scooby-Doo Hoax: The Wait Until Dark storyline.
- Student Council President
- Team Chef: Akira
- Those Two Guys: Kentaro and Takeshi, who are really Cross Over characters.
- Tsundere: Utako, sometimes.
- Also, Midoriko Kyougoku from the My Fair Lady storyline. She's in love with Nokoru, but, as she doesn't know how to make him notice her, she retaliates by being extra mean to him.
- Tokyo Tower: The very first setting.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Utako is a Plucky Girl tsundere, Nagisa is a pint-sized Yamato Nadeshiko.
- Turn the Other Cheek: Nokoru's policy when it comes to ladies; no matter what they've done, he will usually forgive them.
- Twice Shy: Suoh and Nagisa.
- Two-Teacher School
- The Unfair Sex: Women who do wrong things rarely ever get proper punishment for their acts (unless they threaten Suoh), but men who do wrong by women will be punished without fail.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: I'm sorry, but these are supposed to be 4th to 6th grade boys? Not to mention Utako and Nagisa can hold rather sophisticated conversations when they're kindergarteners.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Nagisa is a kindergarten version.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Special mention goes to Suoh, who really does have blue hair, and Nagisa, who has lavender hair in the anime (and blonde hair in the manga).