Popular tropes from this time period are:
- Gag Series
- Post Modernism
- Reality Show / Reality TV (not invented in this period, but they exploded in popularity around the Turn of the Millennium)
- Shallow Parody
- The War on Terror
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World
Series that are set in this time period are
open/close all folders
Films — Live-Action
- 24 (even though it's actually Twenty Minutes into the Future: everything from season five onwards is set in the next decade, whatever that's called.)
- The West Wing
- Arrested Development References to the Iraq War, George W. Bush, TV shows such as The O.C., and other things like the pervasiveness of cell phones and the Internet would definitely place this series in this decade if were watched by someone in the future.
- How I Met Your Mother consists of a series of Whole Episode Flashbacks with the flashbacker retelling the events in the year 2030, and the main plot taking place in The Present Day.
- Several Star Trek series return to the present. A 2004 episode of Star Trek: Enterprise took place in 2004 Detroit. The 1986 movie The Voyage Home took place largely in 1986 San Francisco.
- With the exception of SPD and presumably RPM, All Power Rangers seasons take place in the year they air. Power Rangers Time Force is technically set in the year 3000, but most of the action takes place in 2001.
- The shows of the CSI Verse have been known to take place during the actual week that the relevant episode aired.
- Similarly, the Doctor Who Season Fnarg season finale took place in the present day (more or less). It was broadcast on June 26, 2010 and took place partly on June 26, 2010, as well as 1996 and 102 A.D.
- The Bill.
- Community takes place not only in the present day... but in some episodes the exact airdate, or in the same week, much like CSI above.