open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Dragon Ball Z. From the Kaio-Ken technique to the Super Saiyan, this pose is done all the time.
- Used often in Mobile Fighter G Gundam whenever someone entered their Super Mode.
- When Ash's Infernape used his Blaze Ability in Pokémon, he did this as he powered up. And yes, Super Saiyan jokes have been done.
- All over in Transformers: Robots in Disguise, being a Transformers anime.
Live Action TV
- Often used in many Sentai works during the Transformation Sequence.
- Doctor Who: Used for practically all the times we've seen Time Lords or partial Time Lords regenerate on-screen since 2005.
- Some demons on Supernatural do this when the black smoke which is their essence leaves the meat suit they're currently wearing.
- When anyone goes into their Super Mode in Sonic the Hedgehog they usually adopt this pose.
- In In Famous 2, Cole does this really awkward pose when he absorbs a Blast Core.
- Dante in Devil May Cry entering his Super Mode tends to strike a pose like this.
- God of War: Kratos adopts this pose when he uses his Poseidon's Rage spell.
- If Zero becomes "Awakened" in Mega Man X5, he adopts this pose along with a red glowing aura.
- Advanced V.G. II: Used as a special attack and as a victory pose for The Material Twins, during which, they levitate and flare their psychic-kinetic energy around their bodies. Miranda Jahana has the same ability, but on a far greater scale. Material's version is seen at 7:13-7:16, while Miranda's is seen at 7:29.
- Shana and Dart do this in The Legend of Dragoon during their Transformation Sequence.
- Several animations in MS Saga: A New Dawn use this, most notably the physical weapon lines.
- Asura adopts this pose in Asura's Wrath when entering Unlimited form and other forms.
- The usual pose done whenever a Ground based Devastator is performed in [PROTOTYPE].
- Gene does this during several of his Limit Breaks in God Hand.
- The Guardian of the Balance assumes this pose (but with his legs together) upon ascending to the top of the Tower of the Balance in The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.
- Hazama of BlazBlue does this whenever he activates his Azure Grimoire.
- Collector Mooks in Mass Effect 2 enter this pose when Harbinger assumes direct control over them, complete with Battle Aura from their skin lighting on fire. Naturally, should you be of that bent, this is a great time to nail them with sniper fire.
- The player characters in DC Universe Online do this briefly whenever they Level Up.
- Mega Evolution, introduced in Pokémon X and Y, will have many of the Mons strike a pose similar to this while they transform.
- The titular Prince has a similar pose in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within when he uses a time portal (which often gives him new abilities) or gets his health bar extended.
- In Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi, if playable character Ashikaga Yoshiteru successfully targets an enemy with "Muken no Tobira" skill (lit. "Infernal Gateway"), that enemy gets stuck in a moment for a bit, as Ashikaga warps behind the target to deliver massive damage with a Diagonal Cut, taking time to dramatically sheath the blade afterwards.
- At the climax of Terra's story in Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Terra strikes this pose while embracing The Power of Hate, complete with a Battle Aura of raging black fire.
- Appears in Super Mario Bros. Z befitting to the inspiration source. Notable in that in Mario's characters case it involved modified sprites from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga to achieve this pose.
- Parodied like many other tropes in College Saga.
- In El Goonish Shive, Greg tries to invoke a Super Mode transformation a la Dragon Ball Z by striking this pose. Unfortunately for him the rules of magic in his verse don't quite work that way.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- This pose is adopted by some of the mane six when they use the power of the Elements of Harmony.
- When Twilight was transformed into an Alicorn she took this pose when the power entered her.
- In Birdman cartoons, the title character adopts this pose when he recharges his solar energy by bathing in sunlight.