open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
Films — Animated
- In The Emperor's New Groove, the protagonist is the titular emperor Kuzco. The story begins because of a failed assassination attempt.
Films — Live-Action
- Movies about the American President.
- The American President is a romance but also has the president making decisions on several pieces of legislation.
- Air Force One has an airborne assassination attempt on the president.
- Lincoln focuses on his political effort to make the Emancipation Proclamation.
- Nixon about the fall-out of Watergate and Nixon looking back on his career.
- W. about George W. Bush dealing with the War on Terror and his family's legacy.
- Movies about the British Royalty.
- King George VI is the protagonist of The King's Speech. The film tells the story how he deals with his own insecurity and speech impediment to take the responsibility of leading his nation in World War II.
- The Queen is about Queen Elizabeth II and her relationship with Prime Minister Tony Blair.
- Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age star Queen Elizabeth I. The first movie tells the story how she rose to power, while the sequel tells the story of her war against Spain later during her reign.
- In Dave, the President of the US falls into a coma, so a man named Dave is hired to impersonate him for ceremonial purposes, so that the government can keep the President's coma a secret. However, Dave starts Becoming the Mask, and begins making his own political decisions. He funds charities and exposes corruption, ultimately making him a better president than the real president, who was quite the Jerkass.
- In Maleficent the titular main character is the inofficial ruler of her home, the mythical Moors, and crowns herself Queen with a throne and all, over the course of the story. Her fight against the human king is more of a war than a personal conflict.
- In Dune Messiah, Paul "Muad'Dib" Atreides is The Emperor of the entire galaxy, figurehead of his own religion but still the most powerful man politically. He faces attempts by coalition of different factions to either assassinate him or remove him from power.
- Daenerys Targaryen in A Song of Ice and Fire, who wants to rule Westeros, but in the mean time has conquered much of Essos and begins ruling it.
- The Goblin Emperor opens with the protagonist unexpectedly inheriting the throne after his father and brothers all die in an airship wreck, and now struggles to rule a nation without any prior preparation.
- In the Deryni works, Kelson Haldane becomes King of Gwynedd at 14, and as he ages, he goes from being a type of MacGuffin to one of the key POV members in an Ensemble Cast. This is particularly true in the trilogy called The Histories of King Kelson (which covers his later teens) and the sequel King Kelson's Bride (when he's in his early twenties). Throughout this period, Kelson has to take his dead father's throne, fight off invasion from a neighbouring country, deal with internal rebellion (including a hostile Church), learn to use his magic powers and, well, grow up into adulthood.
- The title character of Babar is the King of the Elephants. The first few books show how he tries to be The Good King and bring the benefits of civilization to the jungle, while later stories are about him raising his family.
- In A Brother's Price, one of the main characters is Princess Ren, who takes an active role in governing the country, as the Queens are sharing power with the Princesses. The antagonists are conspirators against the crown.
Mythology & Religion
Live Action TV
- In The Royals King Simon is the king of Great Britain. Following the death of his oldest son, Simon starts to question the monarchy's relevance to the well being of the British people. He spends most of the first season trying to decide whether abolishing the monarchy might be the best thing for the nation and for Simon's screwed up family.
- Babylon 5 is set in what amounts to the Space United Nations, and the commanding officer of B5note is also a military governor and sits on the Babylon 5 Advisory Council, equivalent to the UN Security Council, as Earth's delegate. Additionally, John Sheridan becomes President of the Interstellar Alliance. However, as Babylon 5 has an Ensemble Cast structure, the CO of B5 isn't the lead role of every episode.
- The West Wing is a Government Procedural set in the White House, with the main protagonist being President Bartlett.
- House of Cards (US) focuses on Frank Underwood who eventually became the President of the United States at the end of Season 2. The succeeding seasons show him trying to maintain his position while facing his adversaries and at one point, he nearly got assassinated.
- The Tudors is about the reign of Henry VIII and his relationship with each of his six wives.
- The Crown is about the reign and life of Elizabeth II. The first season shows her early struggle as the Queen right after her father's death and her relationship with her family such as her husband Prince Philip and her sister Princess Margaret.
- The Forgotten Realms board game Lords of Waterdeep casts the players as the competing rulers of the city-state of Waterdeep, a small cabal that operates primarily in secret (though Piergeiron the Paladinson is publicly known). Their job is to assign adventuring parties to quests.
- Many of William Shakespeare's tragedies and all of his history plays have rulers as the protagonist.
- Oedipus is the King of Thebes in Oedipus Rex. The story begins when as king he attempts to find the reason behind the plague afflicting Thebes.
- Creon is the King of Thebes in Antigone. He spends the story trying to decide whether to kill or pardon the titular character because by breaking his kingly law she upheld the law of the gods.
- Most protagonists of Fire Emblem are Lords, a class typically reserved for rulers and protagonists. Marth from the first game is an iconic example
- Laharl of Disgaea: Hour of Darkness eventualy takes the throne of Overlord around the middle of the game (as it was his goal after waking up and finding out that his father, the previous Overlord is dead, leaving the throne up for grabs). The direct sequel to this game has a subplot focusing how a group of people are convinced of Laharl's right to the throne is null and pine for the days when the previous Overlord ruled.
- Another Nippon Ichi game, Makai Kingdom also has an overlord as a protagonist, the kicker is that he destroyed his own realm by burning the Reality-Writing Book, so part of the plot is rebuilding his Netherworld from scratch.
- While the CPUs of Neptunia are Physical Goddesses, they also double as rulers of their own domain. One of them, Neptune is the protagonist of most of the games (and in the cases she isn't, the role goes to other CPUs).
- As the title indicates, the main character of Little King's Story is a king. He uses his kingly powers by ordering his subjects around to fight enemies.
- Paradox Interactive's 4X grand strategy game series Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron all place the Player Character as the ruler of a nation, varying from tribal chieftains on up to kings and emperors.
- Final Fantasy
- Final Fantasy VI has Cecil Harvey, the crown prince of Baron. After uncovering a Government Conspiracy involving Cagnazzo impersonating his foster father, he becomes the de facto guy in charge by virtue of the true king being still missing. His actual coronation occurs in the epilogue.
- While it kind of depends on which of the dozen major characters you consider the main one, Final Fantasy VI still has King Edgar of Figaro. While ostensibly an ally of The Empire, he's secretly a member the Returners, an anti-Imperial partisan group.
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King and its Perspective Flip sequel, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord, are both completely straight examples.
- Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom has King Evan Pettiwhisker Tildrum kicked out of Ding Dong Dell as part of a coup d'etat. The first couple chapters of the game eventually allow him to found a new Kingdom called Evermore, and he's always on the front lines of battle in the story.
- The eponymous Chairman of The Chairman's Ear. The government and the president (for the most part) are completely subservient to him, and the entirety of the first season happens in his office, with various ministers and other subordinates reporting to him.
- Post Season 3 of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Twilight Sparkle becomes a princess. One season later, she also has a new domain and castle.
- The protagonists of Shadow Raiders include King Cryos, Prince Pyrus, and Emperor Femur, the rulers of Planets Ice, Fire, and Bone respectively. Lord Mantle of Planet Rock refused to join their alliance at first, and tries to take control by force when he finally does, but after his death Jade, who was one of the heroes from the beginning, succeeds him.