It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
A villain will say some variation of "resistance is futile." Often, it will turn out resistance was anything but, but villains do like to have their moments. Other common variations are "it is useless to resist us" and "resistance is useless."
See also Nothing Can Stop Us Now
, and other forms of Tempting Fate
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- A fansub of Uchuu Senkan Yamato has Desler say this exactly. It's probably a Shout-Out by the translators.
- Nami says this in Sora Wo Kakeru Shoujo.
- A variation of this was used in Words Worth: "Your resistance only makes my penis harder!"
- This exact phrase was used in an One Piece fansub, but it is hard to know if it was intentional or the real translation.
- During the Retribution Arc in Berserk, one of the pagans who was trying to rape Casca said something akin to this. Boy was he in for it.
- Dr Eggman in the third episode of Sonic X give a quote the comes close to the Borg introduction: "I have decided to take over your world and make it part of the new Eggman Empire! Resistance is futile. You will submit to my rule or be swept away like dust bodies!"
- In the Empath: The Luckiest Smurf story "Hefty, The Luckiest Smurf", the Psyche Master says this to Empath in the alternate timeline where he is taken back to Psychelia.
- N says a variation of "resistance is futile" in Natural Liberated when he finds first Cheren, then Ash, then Rourke. He usually asks "What chance have you against me?", but it delivers the same effect.
- Darth Vader, while fighting Luke in Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back.
Vader: You are beaten. It is useless to resist. Don't let yourself be destroyed as Obi-Wan did.
- Long before the Borg, the 'Captain' in Cool Hand Luke was giving this exact warning to his inmates.
- In The Wolverine, this is the reason why Logan did not join the Japanese freed prisoners that were running away from the explosion that was about to happen, and preferred to stay in his pit. They can't escape from the near-ground zero of an atomic explosion.
- The Matrix Revolutions has Smith say something to this effect, before Neo stops him, paraprhasing:
Smith: [While trying to copy over Morpheus] Resistance is useless and if you can't beat us, join us.
- As noted in the page quote, this is a favourite Catch Phrase of the Borg fromStar Trek.
- The Borg's 'standard hail' replaced a different, less informative greeting from their initial appearance in the episode Q Who? :
Borg Collective: We have analyzed your defensive capabilities as being unable to withstand us. If you defend yourselves, you will be punished (transmission abruptly cuts out).
- Doctor Who:
- The Master, in "The Deadly Assassin": "Resistance is futile".
- A Dalek, in "Revelation of the Daleks": "IT IS FUTILE TO RE-SIST". These happen to be its last words.
- A Cyberman, in "The Tomb of the Cybermen": "TO STRUGGLE IS FUTILE."
- "Resistance is Useless" was a favorite phrase of the Cybermen in their first two stories, "The Tenth Planet" and "The Moonbase." Which actually makes them an Ur Example (1965), however the phrase is now more commonly associated with the Borg.
- The Borg themselves actually derive some of their characteristics from the Cybermen. The original episode featuring the Borg was "Q Who".
- Noah, the human-turned-Wirrn in "The Ark in Space": "Your resistance is useless."
- An Eternal in "Enlightenment": "Resistance is futile". He was very friendly about it, though.
- A Dalek, in "The Stolen Earth": "RESISTANCE IS USELESS."
- Subverted with a Dalek, in "Into The Dalek": "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." The Doctor makes it repeat itself, just to be sure, because it's not saying that resisting the Daleks is futile. It's saying that the Daleks resisting life is futile.
- Played with in "The God Complex": One of the mottos of Tivoli, the Most Conquered Planet in the Galaxy, is "Resistance is exhausting."
- In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, this is the Catch Phrase of the young Vogon guard. He really loves to shout it and considers it a major job perk.
- The Space: 1999 finale "The Dorcons":
Varda: Commander, the Psychon will tell you how futile it is to resist us."
Maya: "Resistance... (sigh) ...is futile."
- From Dad's Army:
Mainwaring: "Further resistance is useless. In the name of the King I demand that you surrender."
- Zeltrax in Power Rangers Dino Thunder, to an actress Mesogog was planning to experiment on. Her response: "Hey, I was up for that part."
- From Scars of Yesterday by DragonForce:
Trapped within my fierce desire
Resistance is futile
- Comfort Eagle by Cake:
"To resist it is useless
- Protect The Law by Iron Savior:
My directives are simple peace and justice for all
Your resistance is futile if you fight me you'll fall
- "Time Bomb" by All Time Low
resistance is useless, just two kids stupid and fearless.
- The ork legions in RuneScape sometimes say "Resistance Is Futile!"
- The Aparoids in Star Fox Assault, apparently inspired by the Borg, spout lines like that. Well, the Queen and Pigma do, the rest isn't much for talking.
- Actually accurate in the Ashbringer tie-in comic for World of Warcraft.
: Further resistance
is pointless. Your will
is no longer
- Kunzite says the exact line in Tales of Hearts (orig. teikou wa muimi da).
- Mass Effect 2 Big Bad Harbinger tends to s— ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL. YOU CANNOT RESIST.
Sovereign: "You exist, because we allow it. And you will end, because we demand it."
- The Reapers generally see any kind of resistance against them as utterly useless and only delaying the inevitable (not without some justification, admittedly). The one exception is Shepard: they're the one thing in history the Reapers consider an actual threat.
Harbinger: Shepard. You have become an annoyance.
- The far too numerous doppelgangers in Baldur's Gate shout this incessantly as you hack them to bits "It is useless to resist!" Since they only have some two battle lines and the latter 3rd of the game consists almost entirely of fighting great wads of them at once you'll be hearing it. A lot.
- If you meet a particularly hostile alien race in the original Master of Orion game, they will say "Resistance is futile. The fate of the <your race> is inevitable. Prepare to submit to the <our race> Empire."
- This is one of the messages from the Antarans, in the second game, when they're specifically attacking one of your colonies.
- The Nod Redeemer epic unit from Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath has this as one of its in-game quotes.