"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."A villain will say some variation of "resistance is futile." Often, it will turn out resistance was anything but, but villains do like to have their moments. Other common variations are "it is useless to resist us" and "resistance is useless." See also Nothing Can Stop Us Now!, and other forms of Tempting Fate.
— The Borg, Star Trek: First Contact
open/close all folders
- Star Trek uses "resistance is futile", as the Catch Phrase of the Borg. This phrase is subject to a great deal of Memetic Mutation, such as "Billgatus of Borg."
Picard: Our culture is built on freedom and self-determination!
- Defied in Star Trek: Voyager episode "Scorpion" which begins with two Borg cubes giving their spiel as they approach an unseen target. Right in the middle of "Resistance is__" a beam of energy lances out and destroys both cubes. Enter Species 8472.
- Also, the Borg are quick to point out that anything else you may have to say is "irrelevant".
The Borg: Freedom is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You must comply.
Data: Resistance is futile. (smashes warp coolant tank)
- Also subverted in the episode "I Borg" when Guinan makes the isolated Borg drone Hugh see that "resistance... is not futile?"
- Also used as an Ironic Echo in Star Trek: First Contact when Data reveals that he has been unaffected, and was on Picard's side the whole time.
Anime and Manga
- A fansub of Uchuu Senkan Yamato has Desler say this exactly. It's probably a Shout-Out by the translators.
- Nami says this in The Girl Who Leapt Through Space.
- A variation of this was used in Words Worth: "Your resistance only makes my penis harder!"
- This exact phrase was used in an One Piece fansub, but it is hard to know if it was intentional or the real translation.
- During the Retribution Arc in Berserk, one of the pagans who was trying to rape Casca said something akin to this. Boy was he in for it.
- Dr Eggman in the third episode of Sonic X give a quote the comes close to the Borg introduction: "I have decided to take over your world and make it part of the new Eggman Empire! Resistance is futile. You will submit to my rule or be swept away like dust bodies!"
- In the Empath: The Luckiest Smurf story "Hefty, The Luckiest Smurf", the Psyche Master says this to Empath in the alternate timeline where he is taken back to Psychelia.
- N says a variation of "resistance is futile" in Natural Liberated when he finds first Cheren, then Ash, then Rourke. He usually asks "What chance have you against me?", but it delivers the same effect.
- A Voice in the Wilderness uses a somewhat different version of the Borg spiel because they've been co-opted by the original Borg Queen, One of One.
"Surrender your vessel. Your technological and biological distinctiveness are immaterial. You will be assimilated into the whole and perfected. I am the Borg. Resistance is futile."
- In the 18th chapter of The Vow, Lord Shen duels with Lady Lianne, his prisoner and "former" love interest, telling her at one point that she's fighting an inevitable loss. She is certain that he's referring to something else than the duel.
- Darth Vader, while fighting Luke in Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back.
Vader: You are beaten. It is useless to resist. Don't let yourself be destroyed as Obi-Wan did.
- Long before the Borg, the 'Captain' in Cool Hand Luke was giving this exact warning to his inmates.
- In The Wolverine, this is the reason why Logan did not join the Japanese freed prisoners that were running away from the explosion that was about to happen, and preferred to stay in his pit. They can't escape from the near-ground zero of an atomic explosion.
- The Matrix Revolutions: During his Villainous Breakdown, Smith spends a good long while ranting about the pointlessness of Neo's resistance and life in general.
"You must able to see it, Mister Anderson, you must know it by now! You can't win, it's pointless to keep fighting!"
- In Star Trek: The Motion Picture, after mind-melding with V'Ger, Spock tells Kirk "Any show of resistance would be futile, Captain." What's even more interesting is that V'Ger is said to have come from "a planet populated by living machines with unbelievable technology.", which many theorize to be the Borg homeworld.
- In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (which predates Star Trek's Borg by about 10 years) the Vogons used a variation on this: "Resistance is Useless!"
- In Animorphs #6, a Yeerk taunts Jake:
"Forget resistance. It is futile. No host has ever overpowered a Yeerk. It is impossible."
- In the Warhammer 40,000 novel Fall of Damnos we get this nice message from your usual friendly neighborhood apocalyptic robots next door, "We are the Necrontyr. We are Legion. We Claim Dominion of this World... Surrender and Die. (Note this message was translated by the local Tech Priests, and they insist the last three words were properly translated)
- In the British Star Wars parody "Star Bores", the Big Bad is a Dark Lord of the Hith, a group of evil beings with a distinctive lisp. At some point, said Big Bad delivers this gem: "Rethithtanth ith uthelethth!"
- Our Miss Brooks: Mr. Conklin once uses a variation, when Miss Brooks tries to avoid having him assign some unpaid overtime work.
- As noted in the page quote, this is a favourite Catch Phrase of the Borg fromStar Trek.
Borg Collective: We have analyzed your defensive capabilities as being unable to withstand us. If you defend yourselves, you will be punished (transmission abruptly cuts out).
- The Borg's 'standard hail' replaced a different, less informative greeting from their initial appearance in the episode Q Who? :
- Doctor Who:
- The Master, in "The Deadly Assassin": "Resistance is futile".
- A Dalek, in "Revelation of the Daleks": "IT IS FUTILE TO RE-SIST". These happen to be its last words.
- A Cyberman, in "The Tomb of the Cybermen": "TO STRUGGLE IS FUTILE."
- "Resistance is Useless" was a favorite phrase of the Cybermen in their first two stories, "The Tenth Planet" and "The Moonbase." Which actually makes them an Ur-Example (1965), however the phrase is now more commonly associated with the Borg.
- The Borg themselves actually derive some of their characteristics from the Cybermen. The original episode featuring the Borg was "Q Who".
- Noah, the human-turned-Wirrn in "The Ark in Space": "Your resistance is useless."
- An Eternal in "Enlightenment": "Resistance is futile". He was very friendly about it, though.
- A Dalek, in "The Stolen Earth": "RESISTANCE IS USELESS."
- Subverted with a Dalek, in "Into The Dalek": "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." The Doctor makes it repeat itself, just to be sure, because it's not saying that resisting the Daleks is futile. It's saying that the Daleks resisting life is futile.
- Played with in "The God Complex": One of the mottos of Tivoli, the Most Conquered Planet in the Galaxy, is "Resistance is exhausting."
- In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, this is the Catch Phrase of the young Vogon guard. He really loves to shout it and considers it a major job perk.
- The Space: 1999 finale "The Dorcons":
Varda: Commander, the Psychon will tell you how futile it is to resist us."Maya: "Resistance... (sigh) ...is futile."
- From Dad's Army:
Mainwaring: "Further resistance is useless. In the name of the King I demand that you surrender."
- Zeltrax in Power Rangers Dino Thunder, to an actress Mesogog was planning to experiment on. Her response: "Hey, I was up for that part."
- From Scars of Yesterday by DragonForce:
Trapped within my fierce desireResistance is futile
- Comfort Eagle by Cake:
"To resist it is useless
- Protect The Law by Iron Savior:
My directives are simple peace and justice for allYour resistance is futile if you fight me you'll fall
- "Time Bomb" by All Time Low
resistance is useless, just two kids stupid and fearless.
- Spoken word-for-word by the Borg in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
- Nine-Ball from Armored Core said this when he, actually, they, ambushed you in the end.
Nine-Ball: "Resistance is futile, your fate is sealed."
- The ork legions in RuneScape sometimes say "Resistance Is Futile!"
- The Aparoids in Star Fox Assault, apparently inspired by the Borg, spout lines like that. Well, the Queen and Pigma do, the rest isn't much for talking.
- Actually accurate in the Ashbringer tie-in comic for World of Warcraft.
Kel'Thuzad: Further resistance is pointless. Your will is no longer your own.
- Kunzite says the exact line in Tales of Hearts (orig. teikou wa muimi da).
- Mass Effect 2 Big Bad Harbinger tends to s— ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL. YOU CANNOT RESIST.
Sovereign: "You exist, because we allow it. And you will end, because we demand it."
Harbinger: Shepard. You have become an annoyance.
- The Reapers generally see any kind of resistance against them as utterly useless and only delaying the inevitable (not without some justification, admittedly). The one exception is Shepard: they're the one thing in history the Reapers consider an actual threat.
- The far too numerous doppelgangers in Baldur's Gate shout this incessantly as you hack them to bits "It is useless to resist!" Since they only have some two battle lines and the latter 3rd of the game consists almost entirely of fighting great wads of them at once you'll be hearing it. A lot.
- If you meet a particularly hostile alien race in the original Master of Orion game, they will say "Resistance is futile. The fate of the <your race> is inevitable. Prepare to submit to the <our race> Empire."
- This is one of the messages from the Antarans, in the second game, when they're specifically attacking one of your colonies.
- The Nod Redeemer epic unit from Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars: Kane's Wrath has this as one of its in-game quotes.
- In Xenogears:
Citan: Resistance is futile. It only makes things painful.
- In a Star Trek reference on Bob and George, George asks Present!X if he wants to be like the Borg Queen, all nasty, and slimy, and...
X: Resistance Is Futile, George.George: Damnit, I knew he was gonna say that.
- In Sabrina Online, where Amy, in the advanced stages of her pregnancy with Thomas' son Timmy, is commanded to get pickles and Chex mix by the unborn wolf/squirrel child.
- In The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, the three eat a pizza gone bad; Billy and Grim have bad dreams, and Grim's consist of replicating Mandies that go "Resistance is useless. Obey...".
- Brainiac in The DCAU was fond of "You are only delaying the inevitable." It was practically his catchphrase.
- In the ReBoot episode 'Between A Raccoon and a Hard Place', Megabyte says "Resistance is futile" - the intention of the writers was to reference the Borg from Star Trek.
- Of course, The Simpsons has parodied this at least once. In "Lisa The Vegetarian", Lisa's class is forced to watch a film called Meat and You: Partners in Freedom (number 3F03 in the Resistance is Useless Series).
- The Phalanx in the X-Men cartoon, being expies of the Borg, even used both parts of the Borg catchphrase ("Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated." Though contrary to popular belief, the Borg say "resistance is futile" last.)
- Said by the boss bad guy in Challenge of the GoBots after his invasion force had landed on an alien world: "Resistance isn't only futile, it's stupid!"
- "I am Soundwave. Resistance is futile."
- Was a title for a KaBlam! episode.
- Regular Show: "Prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is DUMB!"
- Allura the witch says "resistance is useless" to the Smurfs she has held captive with her Fantastic Drug in her fortress in The Smurfs episode "The Lure Of The Orb".
- Ben 10: Omniverse has Emperor Milleus delivering the line when he invades Earth:
"Resistance is futile; but encouraged for it amuses me."
- Bounty Hamster. Cassie and Marion are being chased by a couple of psychotic space slugs with this as their Catch Phrase. Or maybe not both of them — at one point one slug turns to the other and asks, "What is my line?"
- Rampage gives a variation of this in the episode of Beast Wars that introduces him, but Silverbolt has a snappy comeback.
Rampage: Your persistence is futile! I rise again...!
Silverbolt: In that case, let us give you further to fall!
- Peridot of Steven Universe paraphrases this when fighting the Crystal Gems- though in a much more frustrated manner than the usual indifference it's delivered with.
"I'm doing this one way or another! You're just making it really difficult!"
- According to The Other Wiki, this was part of a telegram that Nazi Germany sent to the Netherlands at the start of World War II. Source
- When the United States was preparing to invade Afghanistan in 2001, they broadcast warning messages to the Taliban including You will be attacked by land, sea and air. Resistance is futile.