A villain will say some variation of "resistance is futile." Often, it will turn out resistance was anything but, but villains do like to have their moments. Other common variations are "it is useless to resist us" and "resistance is useless."
See also Nothing Can Stop Us Now
, and other forms of Tempting Fate
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- A fansub of Uchuu Senkan Yamato has Desler say this exactly. It's probably a Shout Out by the translators.
- Nami says this in Sora Wo Kakeru Shoujo.
- A variation of this was used in Words Worth: "Your resistance only makes my penis harder!"
- This exact phrase was used in an One Piece fansub, but I don't know whether it was intentional or the real translation.
- During the Retribution Arc in Berserk, one of the pagans who was trying to rape Casca said something akin to this. Boy was he in for it.
- As noted in the page quote, this is a favourite Catch Phrase of the Borg from Star Trek.
- Doctor Who:
- The Master, in "The Deadly Assassin": "Resistance is futile".
- A Dalek, in "Revelation of the Daleks": "IT IS FUTILE TO RE-SIST". These happen to be its last words.
- A Cyberman, in "The Tomb of the Cybermen": "TO STRUGGLE IS FUTILE."
- "Resistance is Useless" was a favorite phrase of the Cybermen in their first two stories, "The Tenth Planet" and "The Moonbase." Which actually makes them technically the trope namer (1965), however the phrase is more commonly associated with the Borg.
- The Borg themselves actually derive some of their characteristics from the Cybermen. The original episode featuring the Borg was "Q Who".
- Noah, the human-turned-Wirrn in "The Ark in Space": "Your resistance is useless."
- An Eternal in "Enlightenment": "Resistance is futile". He was very friendly about it, though.
- A Dalek, in "The Stolen Earth": "RESISTANCE IS USELESS."
- Played with in "The God Complex": One of the mottos of Tivoli, the Most Conquered Planet in the Galaxy, is "Resistance is exhausting."
- In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, this is the Catch Phrase of the young Vogon guard. He really loves to shout it and considers it a major job perk.
- The Space: 1999 finale "The Dorcons":
Varda: Commander, the Psychon will tell you how futile it is to resist us."
Maya: "Resistance... (sigh) ...is futile."
- From Dad's Army:
Mainwaring: "Further resistance is useless. In the name of the King I demand that you surrender."
- Zeltrax in Power Rangers Dino Thunder, to an actress Mesogog was planning to experiment on. Her response: "Hey, I was up for that part."
- From Scars of Yesterday by DragonForce:
Trapped within my fierce desire
Resistance is futile
- Comfort Eagle by Cake:
"To resist it is useless
- Protect The Law by Iron Savior:
My directives are simple peace and justice for all
Your resistance is futile if you fight me you'll fall
- "Time Bomb" by All Time Low
resistance is useless, just two kids stupid and fearless.
- In The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy, the three eat a pizza gone bad; Billy and Grim have bad dreams, and Grim's consist of replicating Mandies that go "Resistance is useless. Obey...".
- Brainiac in The DCAU was fond of "You are only delaying the inevitable." It was practically his catchphrase.
- In the ReBoot episode 'Between A Raccoon and a Hard Place', Megabyte says "Resistance is futile" - the intention of the writers was to reference the Borg from Star Trek.
- Of course, The Simpsons has parodied this at least once. In "Lisa The Vegetarian", Lisa's class is forced to watch a film called Meat and You: Partners in Freedom (number 3F03 in the Resistance is Useless Series).
- The Phalanx in the X-Men cartoon, being expies of the Borg, even used both parts of the Borg catchphrase ("Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated." Though contrary to popular belief, the Borg say "resistance is futile" last.)
- Said by the boss bad guy in Challenge Of The Go Bots after his invasion force had landed on an alien world: "Resistance isn't only futile, it's stupid!"
- "I am Soundwave. Resistance is futile."
- Was a title for a KaBlam!! episode.
- Regular Show: "Prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is DUMB!"
- Allura the witch says "resistance is useless" to the Smurfs she has held captive with her Fantastic Drug in her fortress in The Smurfs episode "The Lure Of The Orb".
- Ben 10 Omniverse has Emperor Milleus delivering the line when he invades Earth:
"Resistance is futile; but encouraged for it amuses me."
- According to The Other Wiki, this was part of a telegram that Nazi Germany sent to the Netherlands at the start of World War II. Source
- When the United States was preparing to invade Afghanistan in 2001, they broadcast warning messages to the Taliban including You will be attacked by land, sea and air. Resistance is futile.
- Seeing as Afghanistan is landlocked, you have to wonder about the "sea" part. Then again, the first people in included Navy SEALs, so it could be metaphorical.
- Southern Afghanistan is well within striking distance for a carrier group off the coast of Pakistan. For the first year or so of the war, the vast majority of the bombs dropped were by carrier-based aircraft. Whether that can really be considered "by sea" rather than "by air" is, of course, dubious.
- There's also the Tomahawk cruise missiles. Airborne, but fired from ships, it's kinda "by sea".