A villain will say some variation of "resistance is futile." Often, it will turn out resistance was anything but, but villains do like to have their moments. Other common variations are "it is useless to resist us" and "resistance is useless."
See also Nothing Can Stop Us Now
, and other forms of Tempting Fate
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- As noted in the page quote, this is a favourite Catch Phrase of the Borg fromStar Trek.
- The Borg's 'standard hail' replaced a different, less informative greeting from their initial appearance in the episode Q Who? :
Borg Collective: We have analyzed your defensive capabilities as being unable to withstand us. If you defend yourselves, you will be punished (transmission abruptly cuts out).
- Doctor Who:
- The Master, in "The Deadly Assassin": "Resistance is futile".
- A Dalek, in "Revelation of the Daleks": "IT IS FUTILE TO RE-SIST". These happen to be its last words.
- A Cyberman, in "The Tomb of the Cybermen": "TO STRUGGLE IS FUTILE."
- "Resistance is Useless" was a favorite phrase of the Cybermen in their first two stories, "The Tenth Planet" and "The Moonbase." Which actually makes them technically the trope namer (1965), however the phrase is more commonly associated with the Borg.
- The Borg themselves actually derive some of their characteristics from the Cybermen. The original episode featuring the Borg was "Q Who".
- Noah, the human-turned-Wirrn in "The Ark in Space": "Your resistance is useless."
- An Eternal in "Enlightenment": "Resistance is futile". He was very friendly about it, though.
- A Dalek, in "The Stolen Earth": "RESISTANCE IS USELESS."
- Played with in "The God Complex": One of the mottos of Tivoli, the Most Conquered Planet in the Galaxy, is "Resistance is exhausting."
- In The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, this is the Catch Phrase of the young Vogon guard. He really loves to shout it and considers it a major job perk.
- The Space: 1999 finale "The Dorcons":
Varda: Commander, the Psychon will tell you how futile it is to resist us."
Maya: "Resistance... (sigh) ...is futile."
- From Dads Army:
Mainwaring: "Further resistance is useless. In the name of the King I demand that you surrender."
- Zeltrax in Power Rangers: Dino Thunder, to an actress Mesogog was planning to experiment on. Her response: "Hey, I was up for that part."
- From Scars of Yesterday by DragonForce:
Trapped within my fierce desire
Resistance is futile
- Comfort Eagle by Cake:
"To resist it is useless
- Protect The Law by Iron Savior:
My directives are simple peace and justice for all
Your resistance is futile if you fight me you'll fall
- "Time Bomb" by All Time Low
resistance is useless, just two kids stupid and fearless.
- The ork legions in RuneScape sometimes say "Resistance Is Futile!"
- The Aparoids in Star Fox Assault, apparently inspired by the Borg, spout lines like that. Well, the Queen and Pigma do, the rest isn't much for talking.
- Actually accurate in the Ashbringer tie-in comic for World of Warcraft.
: Further resistance
is pointless. Your will
is no longer
- Kunzite says the exact line in Tales of Hearts (orig. teikou wa muimi da).
- Mass Effect 2 Big Bad Harbinger tends to s— ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL. YOU CANNOT RESIST.
- Seems to be common among Reapers, since first episode Big Bad Sovereign drops it too on Virmire.
- The Reapers generally see any kind of resistance against them as utterly useless and only delaying the inevitable (not without some justification, admittedly). The one exception is Shepard: they're the one thing in history the Reapers consider an actual threat.
- The far too numerous doppelgangers in Baldur's Gate shout this incessantly as you hack them to bits "It is useless to resist!" Since they only have some two battle lines and the latter 3rd of the game consists almost entirely of fighting great wads of them at once you'll be hearing it. A lot.
- If you meet a particularly hostile alien race in the original Master of Orion game, they will say "Resistance is futile. The fate of the <your race> is inevitable. Prepare to submit to the <our race> Empire."
- This is one of the messages from the Antarans, in the second game, when they're specifically attacking one of your colonies.
- In The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, the three eat a pizza gone bad; Billy and Grim have bad dreams, and Grim's consist of replicating Mandies that go "Resistance is useless. Obey...".
- Brainiac in The DCAU was fond of "You are only delaying the inevitable." It was practically his catchphrase.
- In the ReBoot episode 'Between A Raccoon and a Hard Place', Megabyte says "Resistance is futile" - the intention of the writers was to reference the Borg from Star Trek.
- Of course, The Simpsons has parodied this at least once. In "Lisa The Vegetarian", Lisa's class is forced to watch a film called Meat and You: Partners in Freedom (number 3F03 in the Resistance is Useless Series).
- The Phalanx in the X-Men cartoon, being expies of the Borg, even used both parts of the Borg catchphrase ("Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated." Though contrary to popular belief, the Borg say "resistance is futile" last.)
- Said by the boss bad guy in Challenge Of The Go Bots after his invasion force had landed on an alien world: "Resistance isn't only futile, it's stupid!"
- "I am Soundwave. Resistance is futile."
- Was a title for a KaBlam!! episode.
- Regular Show: "Prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is DUMB!"
- Allura the witch says "resistance is useless" to the Smurfs she has held captive with her Fantastic Drug in her fortress in The Smurfs episode "The Lure Of The Orb".
- Ben 10: Omniverse has Emperor Milleus delivering the line when he invades Earth:
"Resistance is futile; but encouraged for it amuses me."
- Bounty Hamster. Cassie and Marion are being chased by a couple of psychotic space slugs with this as their Catch Phrase. Or maybe not both of them — at one point one slug turns to the other and asks, "What is my line?"