"Before becoming a living sushi platter, the person (usually a woman) is trained to lie down for hours without moving. She or he must also be able to withstand the prolonged exposure to the cold food. Before service, the individual is supposed to have taken a bath using a special fragrance-free soap and then finished off with a splash of cold water to cool the body down somewhat for the sushi."
—Jack Herbert, Japan for the Uninvited
Body Sushi is the English word for nyotaimori or nantaimori. Nyotaimori or "female body presentation" comes from Japan and is the act of eating sushi off the body of a nude woman. The male version
, Nantaimori, does exist but it's not as common.
As one might guess, this is often a form of Fanservice
. Expect it in works that want to convey a sense of erotic mystery concerning Japan
are often involved as well. It should be noted, however, that the practice is not nearly as mainstream in Japanese culture as some may think. Plus, as any chef can tell you, its hardly hygienic.
Not to be confused with Food Porn
. See also Improvised Clothes
Anime and Manga
- In Kanokon, Chizuru gets into a body-sized sushi boat naked in attempt to hit on Kouta.
- An episode of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira has a fruit and yogurt variation of this trope in a fantasy sequence.
- In the fourth episode of Hen Semi, Mizukoshi acts as a nyotaimori gathering where it shows various food on her body.
- In Nepetaquest 2011, Zander says it's in his job description (the eating part, not the lying down part).
- The Brandon Lee and Dolph Lundgren film Showdown in Little Tokyo depicts a private yakuza party, complete with Nyotaimori. Murata promises Kenner that they'll do the same after they get revenge for his parents.
- The J-horror comedy Big Tits Zombie has two scenes with this act, involving drunk yakuza members. The first is the more traditional version while the second involves zombies eating a nude woman in a manner that reflects the previous scene.
- The Sex and the City movie has a scene in which Samantha does this as a Valentine's Day present for her lover.
- Rising Sun has a scene in which a yakuza performs this moments before Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes' character busts him.
- Brüno depicts the male version, Nantaimori.
- Happens in Tampopo between a yakuza and his wife.
- The Spanish movie Map of the Sounds of Tokyo depict nyotaimori in one scene.
- WAR with Jason Statham and Jet Li also has a body sushi scene involving, what else, gangsters.
- Sushi Girl: the title character in the 2012 Mark Hamill film is a body sushi girl who serves at a reunion of thieves. She becomes a Chekhov's Gunman in the end.
- The Surreal Life was a reality show featuring has-been celebrities living together. One episode showed Verne Troyer eating sushi off the naked body of a celebrity from America's Next Top Model. She was not happy when he decided to cop a feel.
- The last season turned the series into a reality gameshow with many celebs returning, including Troyer. They had the cast sit down with both a man and woman nantaimori/nyotaimori respectively. Learning his lesson from the previous episode, Troyer decided not to get frisky.
- An episode of CSI NY has the Victim of the Week turn out to have been poisoned at one of these. The perpetrator was a young woman serving as one of the tables; she had previously been a personal assistant to the victim, who fired her for refusing her sexual advances and then used her connections to ensure that the young woman couldn't find work anywhere else in their industry. When the victim learned that her former PA was working at the sushi restaurant (the only place she was able to find work), she began to specifically request her and continued to sexually harass her (the victim would drag pieces of sushi down the young woman's body down to her toes and then suggestively eat the sushi off them). The former PA, unable to refuse a customer's request out of fear of being fired, laced her toenail polish with blowfish venom; a chip of the nail polish was found in the victim's mouth and determined to be the cause of death.
- In Regency House Pary One of the young ladies does this in homage to Lady Caroline Lamb.
- In Kenny vs. Spenny, Spenny's humiliation for losing a competition involves him having to eat sushi off of Kenny's naked, hairy body.
- An episode of Come Dine With Me, a host serves a starter of sushi to his guests in the Nantaimori fashion.
- In the second season of the US version of Master Chef, a contestant attempts to impress the judges by serving the nyotaimori variety of this in the auditions. It didn't work.
- Thirty Rock - Tracy holds a business function and has sushi served on Kenneth - the wasabi is kept in his mouth.
- In season 6, episode 16, Tracy is trying to de-geek his son in a montage - one of the activities is eating french fries, burgers, and chicken nuggets off of a naked woman in this manner.
- An episode of Pit Boss had the crew receiving a job from a client that wanted three little people to do this.
- Watch_Dogs: Just in the trailer, but the scene is supposed to represent the vulgarity of the building it appears in. Then it gets WORSE.
- Frisky Dingo had an episode in which the Big Bad eats sushi this way while interrogating the protagonists.
- In Clerks the animated series, Randall recounts being married to a Japanese business man, who had him do this.
- An apocryphal tale credits Lady Caroline Lamb as having done this.
- Certain high-end strip clubs and sushi restaurants in the US are known to arrange this. Bring your wallet.
- Among those places are Geishahouse in Las Vegas and Nakedsushi in Toronto, Canada.
- China has outlawed this practice as unsanitary.
- South African entrepreneur Kenny Kunene once held a birthday party that featured nyotaimori, which caused a great deal of controversy.
- When performed in the West, many feminists have protested it, and some Japanese people feel embarrassed by it.