A Sister Trope
to Western Terrorists
, African Terrorists
are terrorists from sub-Sahara Africa who primarily operate out of their home continent, carrying out guerilla operations against domestic and foreign governments and frequently being involved in the drug trade. They will often be Mooks
to a wealthier, lighter-skinned criminal organization, typically Western or Slavic
A specific subtrope
and/or Sister Trope
to this are the Amoral Afrikaners
, who are almost always white and generally better equipped Private Military Contractors
, but still African in origin (generally, they are white South Africansnote
) and just as nasty.
Anime & Manga
- Blood Diamond has the RUF.
- The Gods Must Be Crazy features Sam Boga and his men, who shoot up the Cabinet of a Bulungi and spend the rest of the film fleeing from the army.
- Black Hawk Down
- Tears of the Sun
- Steven Obanno, an LRA leader, shows up near the beginning of Casino Royale in a meeting with Mr. White, in order to negotiate a deal with the criminal international banker Le Chiffre to hold the funds of his organization for safekeeping. Word of God is that Obanno was based on the Real Life leader of the LRA, Joseph Kony.
- An interesting example are the black Caribbean Mooks of Quantum, who show up near the beginning in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, where Dominic Greene meets with General Medrano.
- The rebel army who forces Mr. Eko to become a child soldier in LOST.
- A couple episodes of MacGyver involved these.
- These appear in Season 7 of 24. Appropriate to the trope, The Man Behind the Man is white Corrupt Corporate Executive Jonas Hodges.
- Knight Rider
- Flashforward: Protagonists came to Somalia to investigate mysterious towers and ran into those guys.
- In the JAG episode "Embassy", when Harm & Mac are at a reception at the Sudanese embassy in Washington, it's seemingly taken over by a rebel faction supporting an opposition leader. It actually is an elaborate setup by the asshole ambassador to make him look like a hero and discredit the opposition.
- Far Cry 2 involves two such terrorist organizations.
- They're really more PMC's than terrorists, considering they're only doing it for money.
- In Far Cry, they are PMC's. In Far Cry 2, it's the 2 regional factions who have brought in mercenary help.
- The terrorists in SimTower who occaisionally plant a bomb in your building are represented by a Cool Shades wearing, trench coat-clad Scary Black Man who looks like he just came from Nigeria.
- Project Reality introduced the "African Resistance Fighters" faction in v1.0.
- The Lord's Resistance Army, who seek to establish a "Christian" fundamentalist state in Uganda. Or something like that. No one knows what exactly they want; some say they're christian, others say they are followers of Acholi Nationalism, the LRA even claimed to be Muslim on one occasion. The LRA is infamous for their cruel tactics: They abduct children to use them as soldiers or sex slaves, mutilate their victims, and massacre whole villages. Their leader, Joseph Kony, is also widely regarded as completely insane.
- The Somali pirates that have been kidnapping people from ships for several decades now (February of 2009).
- The Al Qaeda groups stationed in Africa recruit and train members there.
- Its Somalia-affiliated branch, Al-Shabab, is a straight example.
- Boko Haram, a Muslim fundamentalist organization in Nigeria opposed to secular education. They have burned schools and massacred students and teachers.