Literature: Red Nails
"Red Nails" is a Conan the Barbarian novella by Robert E. Howard. Published in 3 parts, from July to October, 1936. It can be read online at Project Gutenberg. Marvel Comics also adapted the story in comic book form in issues 2 and 3 of the Savage Tales of Conan the Barbarian.
- Action Girl: Valeria.
- Cycle of Revenge: The people of Xotalanca and Tecuhltli have been at war longer than any of the combatants have been alive, and they have no idea how to stop it anymore.
- Designated Girl Fight: In the final battle, Valeria is the one who kills the villainess.
- Dinosaurs Are Dragons: A Stegosaurus (at least in the comic version; in the story it's unclear). A carnivorous one yet.
- Famed In-Story: Valeria "of the Red Brotherhood, whose deeds are celebrated in song and ballad wherever seafarers gather."
- In the Back: Conan forgets the need to protect against this.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: When Valeria awakens to find a serving girl attempting to drug her, she beats the girl to find out why.
- Liquid Assets: Tascela does this.
- Pirate Girl: Valeria
- Psycho Lesbian: Tascela shows signs of being one of these.
- Recycled Premise: The plot, which sees Conan and a female companion come across a mostly-deserted city that is being destroyed from within, bears some similarities to the earlier "Xuthal of the Dusk."
- Super-Persistent Predator: the dragon/dinosaur
- Technicolor Fire: Actually, it's the smoke that's green
- They Have the Scent: the dinosaur
- Vain Sorceress: Tascela
- Was Once a Man: Tolkemac