Literature: The Devil in Iron
"The Devil in Iron" is a Conan the Barbarian story by Robert E. Howard. First published in August, 1934.
- Action Prologue: The fisherman breaking into the temple.
- The Bait: Octavia.
- Barbarian Tribe: Conan is leading them.
- Blue Blood: Octavia.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Octavia is threatened with this to make her act as the bait.
- Curiosity Is a Crapshoot: The fisherman rouses the evil by his curiosity.
- Damsel in Distress: Octavia.
- Deadly Decadent Court: The city that appears; what Octavia fled.
- Faux Death: He finds people rousing from it.
- Femme Fatale: Octavia was ordered into it.
- Human Sacrifice: In the back story.
- Intro-Only Point of View: The fisherman dies and so exits the story.
- Made a Slave: Octavia's Backstory.
- Made of Iron: The villain, literally, making him nearly invulnerable, to everything except the dagger.
- Necromancer: Who roused the city.
- Rescue Sex: Conan is surprised that Octavia rejects this and has to seduce her.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The Necromancer
- Temple of Doom: Where the trouble was unleashed.
- This Was His True Form: Whatever it was, it's so ghastly that it sends Conan fleeing in fear.
- Thunderbolt Iron: Enabled a slave revolt.
- Wait Here: Conan tries this on Octavia.