Literature / Georgina Kincaid
The Georgina Kincaid series (Succubus Blues
, Succubus on Top
(titled Succubus Nights
in the UK), Succubus Dreams
, Succubus Heat
, Succubus Shadows
, and Succubus Revealed
), written by Richelle Mead, are about the titular succubus in Seattle and her satanic peers, who are just a small corner of the Diabolical Bureaucracy
. A lesser immortal, Georgina Kincaid works in a bookstore where she falls in love with a mortal man, a famous author named Seth Mortensen. This is while she is trying to avoid tempting good mortals to Hell but instead just focusing on the already bad ones.
The series chronicles her attempts to maintain her principles while finding herself, ironically, tempted to do things in order to be with her lover. The series is notable for having a comic tone and growing increasingly darker as the series goes on
. It is also rather subversive with the forces of Hell being treated as a group of harmless bureaucrats.
This series contains examples of:
- Affably Evil: Jerome qualifies for this, being genuinely evil but also friendly and supportive.
- All Myths Are True: An Indian deity, a Cthulhu-esque horror, and standard Heaven and Hell fair abound in this series.
- Anyone Can Die
- Asshole Victim: Duane from the first chapter of Blues.
- Attempted Rape: Georgina is nearly raped in Heat after she becomes mortal again, and thus cannot shapeshift to overpower her attacker. Fortunately for her, a handy explosion helps her escape.
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Almost the entire cast of Hell's servants. Carter the Angel also may qualify being a chain smoking cool guy.
- Break the Cutie: Georgina undergoes this after Seth cheats on her with Maddie. She also goes into meltdown after being tortured by the Oneroi. Also appears in almost all her back stories.
- Can't Have Sex, Ever: Georgina's fundamental problem with Seth.
- Celestial Bureaucracy: Hell has one of these. Heaven, ironically, is fairly loose about these things.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Each book is darker than the previous.
- Character Development: Georgina gets increasingly cynical and dark as the books go on.
- Cool Old Guy: Carter is an angel and Jerome is a demon (and a fallen angel). Thus they're older than any human. Erik could possibly count, too.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: One of the methods Georgia and Seth try using to get around their "no sex at all" problem — they masturbate for each other.
- Depraved Homosexual: Inverted by the fact that the only one is a right wing talk show host.
- Derailing Love Interests: Justified with Seth. He loses much of his goodly nature due to the affair Georgina starts with him.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?:
- Georgina has a moment when she helps defeat Nyx a being older than God.
- Georgina also slew the god Soma, though it was only an avatar.
- Dumb Blonde: Tawny. Though, as a succubus, she's not always blonde.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Georgina manages to reclaim her soul and marry Seth for a happy ending... But it required a Heroic Sacrifice from Roman, pissing off Hell in a major way, and tons of emotional turmoil for her and those near her.
- Eldritch Abomination: Nyx.
- Evil Plan: There's a number of these in the books. In Succubus Dreams Niphon allies with Nyx to drain the energy of Georgina and Tawny so the former can get recalled to the pits of Hell for incompetence. All the while encouraging Tawny to appear as simply a clueless fool. One of these also appears in Succubus Heat.
- Fallen Angel: Jerome, as well as other high demons, are fallen angels. (Jerome fell when he fathered Roman with a human woman, and Yasmine falls in Dreams when she kills Joel, a fellow angel, to save her Nephilim lover's life).
- Filler: Arguably, most of Shadows.
- First Girl Wins: Subverted. Then played straight.
- Fun T-Shirt: Seth wears a lot of them.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: Carter and Jermone seem to be close friends despite the whole war between Heaven and Hell thing.
- Good Cannot Comprehend Evil / Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Averted with Carter and Jermone. Despite one being a heavenly angel and the other being a fallen angel, they get along great. Mostly becaue they have a hard time relating to anyone who hasn't been around since the dawn of time.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Georgina towards Seth and Maddie.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Roman volunteers to be Georgina's lawyer as she appeals for the return of her soul, knowing he won't be leaving after he arrives.
- Horny Devil: Georgina. Later, Bastien and Tawny.
- Idiot Ball: Unfortunately, Georgina runs with this a tad too often in Shadows.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Georgina can have all the sex she wants, but her succubus nature makes it difficult for her to be in a loving relationship. She's so lonely she buys flowers for herself at one point.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Georgina often finds herself wishing she could be a human being again.
- Insecure Love Interest: Georgina thinks she's not good enough for Seth and is going to end up hurting him, because she's hurt people in the past. That and she's a succubus, whereas he's a reserved and virtuous man.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Georgina tries (and fails) at this.
- Jerkass: Niphon and Joel.
- Kick the Dog: Georgina herself gets a couple of these moments. In Book 1, she does this by agreeing to actually work towards damning innocents again in order to be with Seth. In Book 4, she cheats on her best friend Maddie with her ex-boyfriend Seth.
- Kiss of Death: Happens in Shadows: In a flashback, Georgina gives one to her dying friend Luc, to save him from a slow, agonising death due to a stab wound to his stomach. In the present day, she does the same to Erik after he is mortally wounded by a gunshot.
- Heroes Want Redheads: As a traditional succubus, Georgina is one of these.
- Love Makes You Evil: Surprisingly done well. Basically, Georgina's desperate need for love requires her to do increasingly bad things to make her relationship with Seth work.
- Love Triangle: Georgina/Seth/Roman initially. Later on, it became Georgina/Seth/Maddie.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Sort of - Jerome is revealed to be Roman's father, but they both knew about it beforehand (everyone else - and the readers - did not).
- Masquerade: Justified in the fact that most of the immortals go out of their way not to do anything more than encourage mortals to be slightly more selfish than they already are.
- Mind Rape: Happens to Georgina at the hands of the Oneroi in Shadows.
- Minion with an F in Evil: Georgina starts as one of these. At the most, she moves up to a D-.
- Nephilim: The hybrid offspring. Some are evil, but most just want to be left alone.
- No Bisexuals: Kinda Subverted. Georgina is apparently heterosexual but doesn't mind sleeping with a female radio show personality or engaging in a threesome with another woman to fulfill Hell's goals.
- Our Angels Are Different
- Our Demons Are Different
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Out with a Bang: Georgina mentions at one point that it is possible for someone to die during sex with a succubus, if said succubus gets a bit too enthusiastic.
- Poke the Poodle: For demons, Georgina and company don't really do much in the way of evil. Georgina generally just encourages humans to have more sex.
- Succubus Heat has a group of Satanist losers even more pathetic than usual. Their idea of evil includes causing all of the televisions at Circuit City to play Rosemary's Baby.
- Punch Clock Villain: Hellish service in a nutshell. No one in Hell's service seems particularly malevolent. They just go to work in order to maintain their immortality.
- Reincarnation Romance : Seth is Kyriakos, as well as being a bunch of other lovers Georgina had over the years.
- Ret Gone: After she cheated on Kyriakos, leading to him crossing the Despair Event Horizon when he found out, Georgina made a deal with Niphon to become a succubus in exchange for being erased from the memory of everyone who knew her.
- Romantic False Lead: Roman. Later Dante and Maddie. Subverted in Book 4 by the fact that Maddie wins Seth. It doesn't take.
- Sex Is Evil: Georgina doesn't really do much except encourage people to get busy. It's better if they're cheating on their girlfriends or spouses but not really necessary. There's also the fact she's stealing bits of their life-force as she does it, though.
- Shapeshifting Seducer
- Shout-Out: The names printed on Seth's various T-Shirt collections.
- Strawman Political: A female Rush Limbaugh figure in Succubus on Top.
- Succubus With A Heart Of Gold
- Textual Celebrity Resemblance: Jerome's human form is the spitting image of John Cusack, as he is a closet fan of his (something Georgina and some of the other immortals love to make fun of). However, no human (apart from Seth) ever seems to notice that someone who looks exactly like John Cusack is hanging around Seattle.
- It was kind of implied that the higher immortals seem to have some kind of strange power to draw unwanted attention away from themselves in Succubus Heat.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Georgina at the beginning of Heat, justified due to her being in a foul mood after being dumped by Seth.
- Urban Fantasy
- Villain Protagonist
- Villains Out Shopping: Georgina at the bookstore.
- Villainous Self Deprecation: Georgina does this a lot, and doesn't think she's worthy of love.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Enforced and Deconstructed. Georgina uses sex as a solution to many situations because as a succubus, it's her biggest supernatural strength. This mentality, however, causes and comes from severe emotional trauma.
- Your Cheating Heart: Georgina Kincaid became a succubus to cover up her crime of this. Later, she ends up getting cheated on by Seth and then cheating with Seth on Maddie.