Funny: Gunnerkrigg Court
- From the forum:
- From Chapter 2: Schoolyard Myths
- Basil, The Minotaur in general.
- From Chapter 6: A Handful Of Dirt:
- From Chapter 9: Questions And Answers:
- Annie forgets something.
- From Chapter 10: Doctor Disaster Versus The Creepy Space Aliens From Outer Space:
I know I shouldn't but... I can't help but wonder how creatures without arms could make such a device. And tie my friends up.
- Annie showing a lack of Willing Suspension of Disbelief:
- From Chapter 12: Mainly Involves Robots:
- Annie's use of "bewildering powers of deception and trickery" on the Doorbot. Several chapters later, they're still looking for her.
- "Halt! No, I said halt, not "Run away!'" "Maybe they didn't understand. Say it again!"
- "Running! Our one true weakness!"
- And the bonus page where Reynardine's attempt at suaveness is met with "Get back in your box."
- From Chapter 13: A Week For Kat:
"If you'll excuse me, I have to find a book."Congratulations to those who figured this out. In my mind I am picturing a dart board with every available space riddled with darts."Hey, Aly, want to be a bird?"
- From Chapter 14: The Fangs Of Summertime:
Antimony: Surma was my mother.
- Coyote is in himself a Funny Character, and his introduction wasn't short at this:
Coyote: You're her daughter?! HAHAHA! Eglamore you hound!
Eglamore: ...Carver is the girl's father.
Coyote: Oh! In that case, how awkward! HAHAHA! AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
- While definitely a funny moment at the time, later details also serve to make this insight into Coyote's personality less funny and more disturbing.
Coyote: This is Ysengrin. He is very impatient.The Rant: He also hates a lot of things.
- And shortly after:
Ysengrin: Now the very trees of Gillite are under my command.
- Renard gives Ysengrin a sarcastic taste:
Reynardine: I tremble in the presence of your terrifying skills of gardening, Ysengrin.
- From Chapter 15: Red Returns:
- Everything Red does, once she passes the test and gains a human form.
"I didn't know you could cut fingers off!"
"YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HER NAME?!"
Blue: Your hair!
- The reconciliation with Blue:
Red: My hair!
Blue: It goes up again!
Red: It goes up again!
Blue: Oooh! I want to be your friend! Oh please!
Red: [points to Annie and Kat] AHAHAHA!!
Tom: In your face, girls.
"I, also, am happy..."
- The bonus page, "The Wonderful Play".
- From Chapter 16: The Medium Beginning:
Parley: Farewell! HAHAHA!
- The way Parley tries to communicate with Mort.
- From Chapter 18: S1:
- Annie is being bullied by some kids. They insult Renard. The results were... far from good:
- From Chapter 19: Power Station:
"ZimmyXJack??? More like shutXup."
- Tom's commentary at the bottom of page 469:
- From Chapter 20: Coyote Stories:
Coyote: How is that for an enigmatic answer?
- After Annie asks Coyote what the Court is:
Ysengrin: Very enigmatic. It barely answers anything at all.
Antimony: In fact, it raises more questions than before.
Coyote: Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Jones: Try not to undress the female students, James.
- Eglamore showing more worry about Annie than he should. ("He's right about the tie, though.")
Eglamore: Oh...oh God..."Ah. I may have some explaining to do..."
- From Chapter 21: Blinking:
- Annie and Reynardine are still in an uneasy relationship at this point. Kat's reaction:
Kat: But what did you use to jargon jargon babble babble strange words?
- All hail the glory of... ROBOX. He is NOT terrible.
- Kat and Anja engaging in a Techno Babble chat with a confused Antimony listening.
Anja: Haha, it took a while to perfect, but chatter chatter jargon computers technical wizardry babble jargon.
Antimony: *confused silence*
- From City Face:
- The entire tangent, seen here.
- From Chapter 23: Terror Castle Of The Jupiter Moon Martians:
- From Chapter 24: Residential:
Bob: Just like real cows! Only with lasers.
- Paz meeting the Laser Cows: Comic #602.
Tom: Laser Cows. Just like real cows. Only with lasers. T-shirt coming soon.
Winsbury: Go away you big, dumb cow!
- Winsbury bashing at the Laser Cows, and their reply:
Laser Cow 1: Response: No. Added note: It is YOU that is dumb.
Laser Cow 2: Query: Did I detect some burning just now?
Laser Cow 1: Reply: Only my incredible insult.Tom: Lazer eyes. Razor wit.
Annie: Well, you know where the tents are. Night!
- After the kids take control of the house:
- Bob's Awesome Aesop. Indeed, "there's a lesson in all this".
- From Chapter 25: Sky Watcher And The Angel:
- From Chapter 26: The Old Dog's Tricks:
- From Chapter 27: Spring Heeled, Part 1:
- Andrew gets asked to throw Annie's blinker stone at the cliff (it needs to fall straight down to land where they want it to land, but they can't get close enough to the cliff to do it). He does so... and the stone bounces off a crow and falls. Kat and Andrew's expressions are priceless.
- The Rant on this page:
- Annie, professional unintentional Moment Killer. The annoyed look on everyone's face in the last panel sells it.
- The Bonus Page. Nice Hat, indeed. And then someone made this thread.
- The last panel. It probably wouldn't have a place here other than the fact that, yes, that is Annie.
- Epic Oh Crap! moment.
- Don't worry, that was only a Level 2 Collar Pop. Annie was completely safe the whole time.
- Kat gets Mistaken for Gay. Paz gets even more awkward.
- "I'm in love with Zimmy!" As much for Annie's expressions and reaction as anything else. For a bonus it's a Brick Joke as well.
- This page's Imagine Spot of Zimmy in a nice dress and her hair done up... versus a velociraptor.
- On the heels of a number of serious story arcs and character development, this happens.
- So you were driving your tricked out horse.
- Annie learns an abject lesson on eavesdropping. Works as a Brick Joke from Chapter 21: Blinking.
- In the bonus page, Janet and William wake up to find their friends, who didn't believe they'd been in a Secret Relationship for ages, had moved them so they were cuddling, as a joke. They immediately declare "BEST. FRIENDS. EVER." to the confusion of everyone else.
- The Exactly What It Says on the Tin snarkiness of the chapter title, for one.
- Cookie Monster, with crazy Cheshire Cat Grin, grabbing Parley and all. And here we thought Parley had No Sense of Personal Space.
- Renard is the Resident Ladies expert.
- That time Kat was Mistaken for Gay has left an impression on her.
- Well, how sharp could it- The kicker that turns it from shocking and morbid to absolutely hilarious is Coyote's laughter at the end.
- Smitty is totally fine with this situation.
- Hilariously adorable Blue and her adoration. "Her name... is Red!" and then "♥ Can I hang out with you too? ♥"
- Here it is. The best page of Gunnerkrigg Court.
- When Donnie is talking to Annie about her father, he explains the difficulty he had with his first crush.
Donald: As much as she seemed to like him, she wouldn't ask him out. She was waiting for him to do it. I mean, you know how girls are—uh...(remembers who he's talking to)Donald: Motion to strike previous comment.Annie: (grinning) Granted.
- Jones: Needs to make a phone call. note
- Also on page 1025: "Kat: Distracted by baking. Jimmy Jims: Also distracted by baking. Anja: Initiated plan theta (Baking distraction)"
- Zimmy, while mucking around in Annie's head, discovers that Jack is in love with her. Her reaction is priceless.
- Just before that, when she's confronted with a nobody Jack.
"Dammit, Carver! I don't wanna know about yer million boyfriends!"
- Pretty much every page with Coyote in it. Especially the expressions on Annie's face at Coyote's antics.
- A new range of expressions for Ysengrin.
- What time is it? It's Mort Fun Time!
- Annie walks in on Jones and asks "What are you?" and Tom has in the creator text is "Not a robot".
- On this page, the hilarious contrast between the villagers' initial angry expressions when they confront Jones, and their shocked-speechless expressions when she casually breaks the knight's spear is priceless.
- There's something subtly funny as to how seriously freakin' old Jones is. She goes back to past eras....And never. changes. her expression. Now that's a poker face.
- Annie seems to be taking it well.
- RAWR MYSTERY SOLVED
- Jones is the best troll.
- Rey smells something.
- Annie will be keeping an eye on those robots. It's too hard to pick which is best: her face in panel five or panel six.
- The glorious moment in which the new medium is revealed.
- Coyote calls Andrew "Mighty Eyebrows Boy".
- Coyote explains Renard's joke.
- Andrew's first time in the forest involves helping various inhabitants with their problems. One involves a floating octopus.
Andrew: I think you really should be in the ocean...
Octupus: So that's what I've been doing wrong!
- His visit ultimately ends in him, Annie and Parley running from a hoard of creatures looking for help from Andrew.
- The subtle expression on the giant snake's face in this page right before Ysengrin smashes him into the ground.
- In the bonus page, Annie returns from the forest with many spills of Ysengrin's blood. What really clinches it is the absolutely psychotic look on Antimony's face. Some readers noted that "It's not my blood." is the LEAST reassuring "reassuring statement" ever.
"Oh, don't worry, don't worry! It's not my blood."
- Kat tries to set up a date. Emphasis on "tries."
- Kat's face after her first kiss with Paz.
- Reynard's reaction when Kat mentions offhandedly that she was kissing her girlfriend. He turns around as if to say I Knew It; only for Kat to stop him by stomping on his face.
- Renard learning who Kat is dating... by smelling her when she hugs him. Doubles with her Luminescent Blush AND serves as a callback to the Court scene in Ch. 41.
Reynardine: Paz! Nice choice!
- The ROTD looking like a tacky haunted house to Kat. Even this guy is wearing a monster costume glove and his cloak has a tag on it sticking off the side of his head.
- "You must be the life of the party, kid."
- Steadman's last words: "I really wish I hadn't tripped over that damned dog."
- Kat and Morty are currently in the Realm of the dead, Final records room, where the last thoughts of someone are held. Their natural reaction, of course, is to look up the names of famous people.
- "But... it's my room..." Actually becomes even funnier when you see what it probably looked like for Annie and Mort.
- Kat being spooked by Ankou and attempts to hide behind Mort. Yes Kat, keep hiding behind the ghost.
- On the bottom of this page, Ankou rapidly backpedals away from an increasingly-angry Annie.
- Coyote, of all people: "Party! Party!"
- This page, seventh panel. Reynardine's face.
- Poor Annie. Forever alone.
- A comment responding to this page deserves to live on:
- I COSPLAYED THIS GUY?
- This set of side comics written from the perspective of City Face starts by describing a couple species of fairly common birds, such as pigeons, magpies, and seagulls. Then City Face goes on to describe more exotic and unusual birds like the secretary bird, the emu, and the giraffe.
- The very fact Annie gets away with going barefoot absolutely everywhere now.
- Mr. Carver sees Donald's gift: