Film: Vampire in Brooklyn
Vampire In Brooklyn
is a 1995 horror/comedy film directed by Wes Craven
. Eddie Murphy
(who also co-wrote the film) stars as Maximillian, a vampire from Jamaica who is the Last of His Kind
. He has come to Brooklyn to seek out Rita Veder (Angela Bassett
), the only known Half Vampire
in America, and teach her who she is. She just happens to be a police detective. Maximillian also has problems with the courting concept. Killing her annoying roommate Nikki (Simbi Khali) is not the way to impress a girl.
This film provides examples of:
- And Show It to You: After Max rips out the heart of one of the Italian gangsters threatening Julius early in the film.
- Alliterative Name: Julius Jones, Preacher Pauley.
- Asshole Victim: The gangsters Max killed, and the rich, Spoiled Brat white lady he tries to convince Rita to feed off of later in the film. After complaining about "the help" to her boyfriend before saying goodnight, she then speaks very condescendingly to Max, who she thinks just wants to mug her. She goes on about how she understands "the negro" and how they've been oppressed by the white man. She goes into Too Dumb to Live territory because speaking condescendingly to an attacker is not a smart thing to do.
- Badass Grandpa: Dr. Zeko
- Bad Boss: Maximillian is awful to Julius. Granted, Julius is an idiot and causes a lot of his own problems, but Maximillian has no qualms about throwing Julius around. He even pulls out his tongue in one scene and threatens to hang him with it after he screws up Max's attempt to seduce Rita in Zeko's nightclub.
- Body Horror: This is what happens to Julius after Maximillian turns him into his Ghoul slave. Mostly it's done for laughs as it exaggerates Julius' role as a Butt Monkey, but it's still creepy and disgusting because Julius becomes a walking corpse. In fact, he is a zombie, even though he still retains his intelligence, but as his uncle would say, "Thank God for small favors," because he was an idiot to begin with. At first, Julius loses the pigmentation in his skin, an ear, a hand; his hair falls out and his skin is mottled; and towards the end, one of his eyes falls out and gets squished. He eventually becomes a Karma Houdini because he finds and puts on Maximillian's ring, which fully regenerates him and turns him into a very sexy vampire.
- Bond One-Liner: "Put a little heart into it" (while showing a dying man his own heart).
- Bullying a Dragon / Mugging the Monster: Guido, a low-life Italian gangster, tries to mug Max and Julius. Max promptly kills Guido and assumes his form and identity.
- Butt Monkey: Julius up until the end of the movie.
- The Casanova: Maximillian is quite literally a Handsome Devil. While he is trying to court Rita, he seduces and ultimately kills her roommate Nikki. He is quite literally a ladykiller and does all that to make Rita hate her partner Justice, whom he makes her believe slept with Nikki.
- Casanova Wannabe: Julius thinks he's God's gift to women when in fact he's not. His girlfriend kicks him out for falling asleep while having sex with her.
- Chewing the Scenery: When Max kills and impersonates Rita's pastor to get close to her, and suddenly has to put on a sermon. Hilarity Ensues when he can't deal with all the crosses for obvious reasons, and holds the whole thing outside and improvises a speech about Necessary Evil and two-dollar hookers.
- Dhampyr: Rita is the offspring of a human woman and a vampire.
- Double Entendre: When Rita and Justice are questioning some mobsters about the deaths of two of their own, and whether or not they think Julius had anything to do with it, specifically asking if Julius ICED them? One of the mobsters laughs and says, "That putz couldn't ice tea!"
- Dragon Ascendant: Julius becomes a vampire at the end of the movie and his uncle Silas becomes his servant.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Rita's dreams about things that will happen in the future.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Vampire in Brooklyn, hello?
- He Went That Way: After pretending to be a low-life gangster who got arrested robbing a restaurant which happened to be a mob front, Maximillian creates a distraction that gives him time to return to his normal form. The cops look around for the gangster and Max sends them on a wild goose chase.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: Max uses a version of this towards the end of the movie. Different from usual in that Rita has already killed him...but he honestly seems pleased that she's at least proved her predator nature.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Notable because Max apparently doesn't just drink blood. When Julius offers to get him some food, he spits a massive gobbet of flesh out of his teeth and announces with a smirk, "I already had Italian."
- Insistent Terminology: After being chased down by Mafia loan sharks because of an unpaid debt, Julius calls one of them, a handsome pretty boy in a suit, "Tony." The man gets upset and says "What are you, mental? How many times I gotta tell ya? I'm Anthony! He's Tony." And a fat, middle-aged bald mobster exits the car.
- Karma Houdini: After helping Maximillian in his evil schemes, Julius gets to take his place at the end of the movie.
- Ladykiller in Love: Maximillian is as evil as they come, but he genuinely does love Rita. He doesn't even get mad when she betrays him and stakes him in the heart; in fact, he's pleased she's a killer.
- Made from Real Girl Scouts: See above.
- Made of Iron: Max, as stated in the page quote above.
- Major Injury Underreaction: After he rips out a mobster's heart, the guy just gasps and says "Ouch" before keeling over.
- Magic Pants: Not only do Max's clothes survive all shape-shifts, he can change them into a different outfit and, at the end, when Julius becomes a vampire after putting on Max's ring, he gets a whole new outfit complete with sunglasses and jewelry!
- Meaningful Name: Rita's partner on the police force is named "Justice." Julius' uncle Silas Greene is a little harder to catch on to, but it is a reference to his character's defining trait (greed).
- Minion with an F in Evil: Julius is an idiot as both a numbers runner for The Mob and as Maximillian's undead slave. He nearly ruins Max's seduction and courtship of Rita on numerous occasions.
- Mr. Exposition: Dr. Zeko and Maximillian, who narrates the opening scene. Justice qualifies when he tells Rita that Nikki was murdered and she was killed exactly the way Rita painted it earlier.
- Mood Whiplash: The film tends to be awkward once it comes to transitioning from a vampire film and a Black Comedy.
- Pet the Dog: Maximillian compliments Julius when he notices Julius used a mannequin's hand to replace his own after it falls off.
- Punch Clock Villain: Julius is a numbers runner for the mob, then he becomes Maximillian's undead slave. In both, he is a lazy loser more interested in goofing off than doing his job.
- Pungeon Master: Maximillian, who has a very wicked sense of humor; most of his puns are death-related.
- Ring of Power: When Julius puts on Maximillian's ring, it instantly transforms him from a rotting Ghoul to a Vampire.
- Second-Hand Storytelling: The movie's resident supernatural expert and one-time vampire hunter Dr. Zeko tells Rita and Justice about how he got into a fight with a vampire while trying to protect a woman. He said he lost the fight but he was somehow able to walk away from the altercation with nothing but a very large scar on one side of his face. The woman was Rita's mother, and thus it's implied he killed Rita's father, who was a vampire. Rita, and especially Justice, think Zeko is a fraud and that he's lying to make a name for himself.
- Sequel Hook: Julius turned into a vampire and replaced Max at the end of the movie; obviously this was setting us up for a sequel which was never done.
- Shapeshifting: Max
- Tempting Fate: After Maximillian interrupts the mobsters' murder of Julius, he gets shot and falls over as if he is dead. The pretty boy Anthony laughs and says "He's no fun; he just fell over." A few seconds later, Maximillian gets back up and reminisces about how he has been stabbed, hung, burned, and broken on the rack, but up until then never shot. He even comments about how it itches a little bit. He then rips out Tony's heart and rips Anthony apart.