Film / The Vampire Lovers
1970 Hammer Horror
film starring Ingrid Pitt, Peter Cushing
, Douglas Wilmer, Ferdy Mayne, Madeline Smith and Kate O'Mara. It features very little horror but the storyline is quite faithful to the original story, Sheridan LeFanu's Carmilla
, in the midst of (tame) nudity. Followed by two sequels, Lust for the Vampire
and Twins of Evil
; altogether these films are known as Karnstein trilogy.
Has the examples of:
- Ambiguously Bi: Mircalla is willing to seduce men to get what she wants as well, though her preference seems to be women.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Mircalla.
- Bling of War: General Spielsdorf (Peter Cushing) in the ball scene.
- Breaking and Bloodsucking: A young woman is asleep in her cottage. She's startled awake by Carmilla stroking her face but soon after is delighted to see her.
- Bury Your Gays: Mircalla and the Governess' fates.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Mircalla seems to prefer hunting prey barefoot and in a sleek nightgown.
- Death by Sex: Played with as some who have sex with Mircalla die while others do not.
- Fanservice: Oh, yes, very much.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: There's not much room for doubt Mircalla and Emma were intimate. This even got past Madeline Smith's (Emma) radar; she later admitted she was a virgin when the movie was made and had no idea what Emma and Mircalla were supposed to be doing.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors. In the same ball, Carmilla (Ingrid Pitt) is dressed in blood-red and her mother has black dress (although white roses in the hair). Guess what it means?
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot
- Haunted Castle: As per the ISO Standard for Hammer Horror.
- Horror Hunger: Carmilla appears to have genuine feelings for Emma, but can't keep her fangs to herself.
- Improvised Cross: Carl Ebhardt's cruciform dagger.
- Lesbian Vampire: Countess Mircalla Karnstein, also known as Carmilla and Marcilla. Also an adaptation of the trope origin, Carmilla.
- Ms. Fanservice: Ingrid Pitt for generations of men (and women) thereafter.
- Must Be Invited: Implied on both occasions when Mircalla is a house-guest. Averted with the woman in the cottage.
- Off with His Head!
- Ominous Fog
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Überwald: Officially Styria.
- Vampire Hunter: The Baron Hartog (Douglas Wilmer) becomes one to avenge his sister. He seeks out every member of the Karnstein family to exterminate them before they wake up from their grave and feed upon the living.
- Vampires Are Sex Gods: How much of everyone's attraction to Mircalla is left ambiguous. Is it mind control, pure lust, or something more?
- Your Cheating Heart: For romantic interpretations of Mircalla and Emma. Mircalla seduces the Governess as well, though abandons her in the end.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Mircalla and the Governess.