If he attempts to kiss her on the lips she should turn her head slightly so that the kiss falls harmlessly on her cheek instead. If he attempts to kiss her hand, she should make a fist. If he lifts her gown and attempts to kiss her anyplace else she should quickly pull the gown back in place, spring from the bed, and announce that nature calls her to the toilet.Bob wants to kiss Alice. Bob moves toward her, but at the last moment, Alice turns her face, and Bob ends up kissing her cheek instead. Generally done to show that relations between two characters are frosty. If relations are especially frosty, she may not even be that subtle. Other reasons do exist, such as to delay The Big Kiss (in which case, Alice didn't realize Bob was trying to kiss her), or because it's not the time/place for smooching. Or maybe one part of the party just doesn't want to kiss. See also Almost Kiss, for when the kiss is interrupted by external circumstances.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- In Ultra Maniac, Ayu does this to Kaji, but only because he caught her by surprise. She's happy to let him kiss her a little later.
- Fire Tripper: Before being treated for some of his wounds, Shukumaru tries to kiss Suzuko, but she rejects his advances, due to believing that they're brother and sister by blood.
- Inverted in Omamori Himari when Yuuto tries to kiss Himari on the cheek and accidentally kisses her on the lips instead when she turns her head at the wrong moment. She doesn't mind a bit.
- In the last episode of FLCL Naota tries to kiss Mamimi to prove that he's mature, she turns her head to stop him from doing so.
- Zack's girlfriend avoiding his kiss is the first sign she's about to dump him in She's All That.
- In Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, after Flint apologizes to Sam before their big mission starts, he moves in for a kiss (since they'd had an Almost Kiss the day before), but she puts her hand up to stop him. Not the time, not the place, not the right mood.
Flint: So, where were we?Sam: You were about to kiss me.Flint: Were you gonna kiss me back?Sam: Why don't you find out?Flint: Because I don't wanna go for it and then get shot down again...Sam: Just kiss me!
- Then at the end of the movie:
- In Daredevil, Bullseye tries to kiss Elektra, but she keeps moving her head away every time his face comes closer. Even as she's being gutted, she tries desperately to avoid his mouth, only to fail. Justified in that they aren't a couple, she has no feelings for him other than hate and disgust and he's a psychopath who murdered her father and is killing her.
- Done in the film Double Jeopardy. As Libby publicly confronts her duplicitous husband (he faked his death at sea and framed her for murder) she turns her head as he tries to kiss her, invoking "oohs" from the observing crowd.
- Done in The Bodyguard when Rachael wants to make Frank jealous with another man. He decides he wants sex with her. He leans in for a kiss, and she turns her head away. He then grabs her face and turns it back, and she turns away again, before asking one of her bodyguards to make him leave.
- Stu's girlfriend in The Hangover is shrewish, controlling, and shows very little affection, if any. Before the trip to Vegas, he leans in to kiss her goodbye and she reels back in abject horror almost on instinct...while keeping a completely indifferent look on her face.
- In the first Spider-Man movie, when Harry goes to kiss MJ at the World Expo she turns her head to the side, signalling that she doesn't really care for him that much. Peter on the ground sees this as well. In the novelisation it's made clear he understand exactly what she just did and is ecstatic that she might still love him.
- In Young Frankenstein, Frederick and Elizabeth at the train station. No matter how he wants to touch her, there's something wrong. They end up rubbing elbows.
- Then as the train is pulling out, Frederick blows her a kiss, and she ducks!
- Georgia does this to Dave-the-laugh in the Film of the Book Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging. She only went out with him to make Robbie jealous; turns out he really liked her and was very hurt when he found out the truth.
- Used to show Belligerent Sexual Tension, rather than frostiness, in Miss Congeniality. Gracie is teasing Eric by saying things like he thinks she's beautiful or that he wants to kiss her. In response, he purposely leans in closer to her lips... but then pulls out a Milky Way and takes a bite (to tease her back, of course).
Eric: Mmm. Enjoy the rest of your night.
- Congo. When Dr Karen Ross holds out her hand for a handshake, Captain Wanta raises it to his lips instead, only for her to yank back her hand.
- Jerin does this to Kij in A Brother's Price, by stepping back away from her and making room for his sister to intervene. He's already in love with someone else, doesn't much like Kij's entitled attitude on the subject of marrying him (she's quite certain that of course her family is the best alliance for his. His family disagrees), and is in a culture that heavily disapproves of such contact between a man and woman who are not married to each other. She also makes her move in a public setting, which embarrasses a rather shy 15-year-old boy.
- In Proven Guilty, after Molly goes to a great deal of trouble to get her boyfriend bailed out of custody, he tries to kiss her after being released. She turns her head away, signifying frustration with him although the fact that her crush was in the room with them may have also had something to do with it.
- In Smallville, Lionel is in Clark's body (It Makes Sense in Context). He knows that Chloe (who he blames for putting him in jail) has a crush on Clark, and starts flirting with her, leaning in for a kiss and then cruelly drawing away, smugly noting "Don't you wish." Later on, it was confirmed by actor John Glover that Lionel is indeed attracted to Chloe...but his hatred and his desire for vengeance were more important to him, thus the bastardry.
- Done humourously in Wonderfalls: Aaron tries to kiss his girlfriend in public, but she's trying to keep their relationship secret. When he moves in, she gives him the good ol' interrupting starfish.
- In the intro to The Dick Van Dyke Show Rob walks in the door, his wife approaches him, he goes to kiss her but she puts her hand up between their mouths, saying "We have guests," so he goes to greet them.
- Kasidy does this to Sisko once in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine after he apologizes for being afraid of commitment.
- Happens in the episode "Cold Feet, Hot Body" of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in which Will kiss disses Denise before he leaves her for good to see her fiance Lisa.
- Inverted in an episode of Hannah Montana where Rico blackmails Miley. They settle on a cheek kiss as payment, but Rico turns his head at the last second and ends up kissing Miley's lips. He was thrilled, she was pissed.
- In "All Hell Breaks Loose, Part Two" (S02, Ep22), the crossroad demon moves forward as if she is going to kiss Dean and seal the deal, bringing back Sam for Dean's soul in 5 years, which Dean said was his final offer. At the last moment, she stops and says, "Then no deal."
- In "Abandon All Hope", Castiel does a nasty one with the demon Meg. Castiel is trapped in a ring of holy fire, but is able to knock Meg in there with him. As they're pressed close together it looks like they will kiss, only for Castiel to throw her across the fire and escape by walking over her body.
- Star Trek: Voyager ("Bride of Chaotica!"). As befits a Large Ham Emperor Scientist, Dr Chaotica does the I Kiss Your Hand to Queen Arachnia after she strides majestically into his throne room. As Arachnia is being played by Captain Janeway, she's not impressed. When he tries it again later, Janeway walks off just as he's bending down to kiss.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- In "Fool For Love", Spike leans in to kiss Buffy, only for her to step away in horror. For a moment Spike looks just as shocked as she is.
- In "Doublemeat Palace", Buffy tries to get through a double shift at a fast food restaurant by having sex with Spike during her lunchbreak, up against the wall of the back alley, next to a dumpster. At one point they look like they're going to kiss, but Buffy turns her head away.
- The song "Always Have to Steal My Kisses from You" by Ben Harper has this line:
Now I've been hangin' 'round you for days / but when I lean in you just turn your head away
- Fiona Apple's "Paper Bag":
Baby said he couldn't stay, wouldn't put his lips to mine,A fail to kiss is a fail to cope.
- Kinda similar. In Harvest Moon Animal Parade, during one of their rival cutscenes, you see that Kathy has lost a bet to Owen and now has to kiss him. She then closes her eyes and tries to do so, only to find that Owen has moved all the way across the field as a prank. He then teases her for actually having wanted to kiss him. She then goes Tsundere and storms off.
- As the page quote implies, this is a tactic young women can use to evade sex, according to Instruction and Advice for the Young Bride. (By the way, the guide is a hoax.)
- In the Popeye cartoon "For Better Or Nurse," Popeye and Bluto want to enter a hospital so they can get close to nurse Olive who tells them that if they were really injured they would qualify for a hospital visit. Overjoyed, the boys pucker up to kiss Olive, but she ducks and they kiss each other!
- On one episode of Kaeloo, Mr. Cat tries to kiss Kaeloo, only for her to push him off of her and make up an excuse based on the rules of a game they were playing.
- Prince Charles and Princess Diana when their marriage was starting to hit the rocks.