A 1979 film starring Bette Midler in her first role, directed by Mark Rydell. A vulnerable, self-destructive rock singer looks for love.
- Abusive Parents: One of whom is played by Doris Roberts.
- Downer Ending
- Love Triangle: Several examples, but the main one is Rose's choice between Houston and her desire for fame.
- Oscar Bait: While the film is not quite a biopic of Janis Joplin, Rose sings, she gets strung out, and she dies. Bette Midler was nominated for Best Actress but lost to Sally Field.
- Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll: Lots of all three. During the first on-screen concert, it's even a "crowd chant".
- The Sixties: The film is set in 1969...
- Slut Shaming: Inverted when Rose tells Houston the football story, then played straight in the western bar.
- The Tragic Rose: Rose herself, of course, to the fullest use of the trope.