Film: Scavenger Hunt (1979)
- Mildred Carruthers (Cloris Leachman):"Why that worm. What's he trying to prove? Georgie and I are his legitimate heirs. Why should we have to play some dumb game just to get what's rightfully ours? I'm going to contest this will!"Charles Bernstein (Robert Morley):"That's the point, Mrs. Carruthers. This will is a contest."—Scavenger Hunt
Scavenger Hunt is a 1979 comedy film starring, among others, Richard Benjamin, James Coco, Richard Mulligan, Ruth Gordon and Cloris Leachman. The plot centers around, well, Exactly What It Says on the Tin. Specifically, one arranged by the late game inventor Milton Parker (Vincent Price) for the $200 million in his will. There are five teams consisting of Mr. Parker's servants, his greedy widowed sister with her dumb son Georgie and their Amoral Attorney Sellsome, son-in-law Henry Motley (Tony Randall) and his four kids, nephews Kenny and Jeff Stevens, and cab driver Marvin Dummitz. (See below under No Celebrities Were Harmed.) Hilarity Ensues.As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki and at IMDB.
"This trope is a contest":
- All-Star Cast
- Alliterative Name: Stewart Sellsome, which is appropriate because he's a Smug Snake.
- Badass Biker: Scum
- Bee Afraid: Henry goes to get a beehive out of a field, and, of course, gets stung.
- Big Fun: One of the rules is "50 bonus points for the team with the heaviest person."
- Bulletproof Vest: One of the items.
- California: Everything was filmed in different parts of San Diego except for the scene where Dummitz tries to steal a wedding gown (one of the items), which was shot in La Mesa.
- Chase Scene: Of the car-chase variety.
- Cool Car: The limousine used by the servants.
- The Ditz: Babbette, the maid
- False Teeth Tomfoolery: One of the items on the list.
- French Maid: Babbette
- The Good Guys Win
- Manchild: Georgie
- Megane: Georgie.
- Mugged for Disguise: Not for disguise, but Kenny and Jeff's team do take a policeman's uniform.
- Mummy: Marvin tries disguising himself as one so Sam (Scatman Crothers), the guard from the bridal shop who has subesquently teamed up with Marvin, can steal a suit of armor. It doesn't work out the way they planned.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The character Marvin Dummitz and the story of how Mr. Parker's business partner had the misfortune of hailing Dummitz's cab on the day of an important meeting, and never making it to the meeting, is a parody of the real-life story of Melvin Dummar and Howard Hughes.
- Scavenger Hunt: Well, duh.
- Sibling Team: Kenny and Jeff.
- Stealing from the Hotel: How the servants get a toilet.
- Teddy Bear: One of the items.
- Toilet Humour: Literally, as its one of the items.
- Tuckerization: The name "Milton Parker" is a combination of Milton Bradley and Parker Brothers.
- Where's the Kaboom?: A grenade falls off the Bulletproof Vest Kenny and Jeff get from Arvila (Ruth Gordon.) It turns out to be a dud.