Fanfic Recs: Tenth Doctor Fics
Proof that the remaining ten percent is worth regenerating twice for.
These are fanfic recommendations made by Tropers for the Tenth Doctor
, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page. Allons-y!
open/close all folders
Sic Semper Tyranis
by Meredith T. Tasaki
- Recommended by Operation Shoestring, Har D Har Koopa
- Synopsis: In which 10 gets the well deserved comeuppance he never did in canon, delivered by Harriet Jones, once and future Prime Minister.
- Comments: Sums up what a lot of us felt about the whole Sycorax incident. With beautiful irony.
- I am hesitant to recommend this, but I will. The writing here is well done, but I have a problem. Before this I totally agreed with the Doctor and what he did that day, but this showed me another side, and I agree that the way he chose to depose her was wrong. However, my problem is that it almost shows Harriet as a total hero and the Doctor as a total douche. I think he did a bad thing, but what she did was far worse. She killed thousands of sapient beings, who were retreating. He deposed her in a way that made fun of natural human tendencies. He deserves some comeuppance, sure, but she deserved to be punished, and this fic never really says that at all. Still, pretty solid fic. –Har D Har Koopa
The Slow Path, or Two and a Half Centuries in Two and a Half Days
- Recommended by Namta, Nightsky
- Synopsis: The Tardis communicates with Martha in her dreams, sending her a warning.
- Comments: Utterly, utterly beautiful and haunting. The Harry Potter references work really, really well.
- Seconded by Nightsky: Further proof that Martha >> everybody.
- Thirded by gravedancer121. Pretty sure that's a Discworld reference.
by Amy Wolf (AU)
- Recommended by Ms Shaw
- Synopsis: An AU on the ending of "The Girl in the Fireplace," where the Doctor takes The Slow Path back.
- Comments: To be honest, Mickey and Rose's side of the story is good but not amazing; it's the Doctor's 250 years through Earth's history that's a brilliant piece of storytelling. The chapter with the Doctor in San Francisco is one of the best moments of fanfiction. Ever.
by ARIA (AU)
- Recommended by JadedLady
- Synopsis: What could have happened had the Master not died at the end of season three and the Doctor actually made good on his plan to imprison the Master on the Tardis and drag him around the universe.
- Comments: As expected, there's oodles of slashy Foe Yay, especially towards the end (so be warned), but it's so well done that you'll honestly not mind. A rather fascinating Alternate Universe version of Nu-Who
by StormWolf (AU)
- Recommended by Sadistic Apathy
- Synopsis: Set post Journey's End in the parallel world. Shows how Human Ten adjusts to living a "normal" life with Rose.
- Comments: While the adventure part of the story isn't bad, the real brilliance is in the scenes showing the domestic side of life. It gets quite sappy at times, but manages to retain the Doctor's obliviousness and awkwardness in family matters.
Doctor Who and the Silver Spiral
- Recommended by Newtype S 3
- Synopsis: Captain Jack Harkness' chunk of TARDIS coral finally is large enough to turn into a real TARDIS. This attracts the attention of someone else...
- Comments: A touch of Ho Yay can be found in here between Ten and Jack. Whether or not that's your thing, the fanfic overall is excellently written. There's also a little hand-waving in Jack becoming a Time Lord in his own way, but the whole thing is probably the best fanfic I have read.
by Dr. Megan Argo
The Doctor And The King of Pop
When you left me here, you left me here to die
- Recommended by cg12345, Silent Hunter
- Synopsis: The Doctor and Martha observe a supernova.
- Comments: Ok, here's where it gets interesting. The supernova in question is a real event, and Dr. Argo was on the team that detected its energy emissions. She wanted to do something that conveyed the excitement of the discovery in Layman's Terms, so she wrote this. And yea verily, it is made of win. Martha asks a few too many elementary questions, but Ten's voice is spot-on, and Dr. Argo's sheer love for the subject matter carries the story.
- Also available in an audiobook format.
The White Lady of Amherst
- Reccomended by Hannahchan
- Synopsis: Ten's clone finds that living a mundane human life, even with Rose, is the most frustrating possible existance. He has to find a way back to his own world, back to the TARDIS...
- Comments: A brilliant character study of 10.5, fantastically detailed and truly heartbreaking. If the characterization of Eleven at the end seems a bit off, it's only because this was written before Season 5 aired.
All the King's Horses
- Recommended by sauronlulz and bwburke94
- Synopsis: The Tenth Doctor and Rose go back in time to 1860s Massachusetts and visit the poet Emily Dickinson, who is being haunted by strange nightmares. Set shortly after The Christmas Invasion; small spoilers for most episodes in Series 1.
- Comments: Oh, this is good. There is a good plot - the Monster of the Week forces the Doctor, Rose, and Emily Dickinson to face their worst nightmares, literally. There is adorable Ten/Rose friendship banter. There is intelligent use of Emily Dickinson's poetry. It's a missing episode, pretty much.
- Recommended by Long Live Humour
- Synopsis: A star empire is menaced by deadly creatures from the time of Rassilon. Will one lone Time Lord and a human companion be enough to defeat them?
- Comments: This is a quiet story, rich in detail and introspection. The plot matters, but the real focus is on Donna and the Doctor. If you like detailed alien cultures or just enjoy a sense of history - no infodumps here! - you'll enjoy this.
If I could turn back the hands of time
- Recommended by Suspicious Cookie, Nightsky
- Synopsis: She's doing this to him because she loves him - well, some other version of him. The one in the real world - but she's doing this because she loves him. Really. Really, really. He'll understand soon. Just not right now. But he'll understand. Eventually, Rose Tyler will make him understand everything, even this.
- Comments: Warning - this is a dark fic. A chilling take on what Rose and 10.5's relationship could turn into. Alternate Universe!Jack is positively terrifying. Definitely worth your time, though you may never look at Rose the same way again.
- Seconded by Nightsky, who has always suspected that Rose and 10.5 wouldn't last.
- Recommended by inklesspen
- Synopsis: Rose Tyler, 10.5, and Romana II team up to save the alternate Earth from aliens. There is a lot of bluffing involved.
, The Planted Past
, and Loop
by Sanguine Ink
- Recommended by Kina Kalamari
- Synopsis: The Doctor and Rose arrive at Jackie's flat before the ghosts start showing up in Army of Ghosts. Oh, what a difference two months can make. Not just a rewrite of Doomsday - more of a complete reworking.
- Comments: Yes, it's essentially a Fix Fic to keep Rose from leaving, but it's also so much more. The character voices are brilliant, the humor is so very Doctor Who, and the plot is really well thought out. You do probably have to like Ten/Rose to enjoy it entirely, but it's not overly romantic. The Planted Past and Loop are its sequels, which are just as good as the first, if not better. (Loop is my personal favorite.) A fourth story, Human Nature, is now in the works as well. (If it helps, Jack becomes a main character, and is frankly kind of awesome.)
by The Chibi's Are Stalking Me
Tea and TARDIS Doors
- Recommended by Love Is Weird, HushaByeBye, Wario Barker
- Synopsis: There's a lot of 'what if's in Dr. Who. This is A LOT of oneshots that brings out some of them. Random Pairings, random settings, in short nothing is sacred. It's all mine for the warping. Enjoy. -...don't...forget...me... -
- Comments: Beautifully crafted one-shots written from June 2007-April 2011 exploring all aspects of Doctor Who. It's humorous and tear-jerking and heartwarming all at the same time as well. The author is excellent and versatile. Just look at the styles!
- A word of warning to those who hate shipping in Doctor Who: many of the oneshots are either Doctor/Rose or Doctor/Master, and can get slightly repetitive at times. However, the overemphasis on shipping is nicely balanced out by a wicked sense of humor, fascinating character studies, and brilliant story ideas. Meta-Crisis Tenth Doctor slowly transforming into the Valeyard is a particularly good one that gets expanded on more and more throughout the oneshots. With a total of 1,028 chapters, it's a great way to spend the better part of a month.
Cleanup on Aisle 5
- Recommended by Kstar08
- Synopsis: In between adventures, the Doctor takes some time to hold a vigil for Gallifrey. Donna finds him. Fluff ensues.
- Comments: A short piece that proves that, sometimes, actions can speak louder than words in a friendship.
- Recommended by SanDemonMax
- Synopsis: Donna forces the reluctant 10th Doctor to go grocery shopping at Tescos. But he's in for a surprise...
- Comments: As the summary says, Donna drags Ten along on a grocery shopping trip in 21st century Earth, and he's not too happy. While they're shopping though, Eleven and River are shopping as well, and making a huge mess. No paradox risk because Eleven doesn't see Ten, and the latter doesn't know who the former is, even after seeing him. Great for a quick giggle.
We'll Always Have... You Know
- Recommended by Micah
- Pairing: Doctor/Donna
- Comments: A hilarious Doctor/Donna oneshot, featuring an aggressively clueless version of the Doctor
by wmr (Explicit)
The Girl on the Horse
- Recommended by Sadistic Apathy
- Pairing: Ten/Rose
- Synopsis: Set just after The Idiot's Lantern. The sight of a faceless Rose haunts the Doctor, and he seeks her out for reassurance.
- Comments: Wonderful little ship-fic that manages to mix the usual fluffy/angst with humour, especially in the chapter from Rose's point of view. Good if you're looking for something sweet and in-character.
The Lonely God
- Recommended by Ayries
- Pairing: Ten/Rose, Ten/Reinette sort of mentioned.
- Synopsis: A short AU to The Girl in the Fireplace, where Rose goes through the mirror rather than the Doctor and spends several weeks battling historical underwear, amongst other things.
- Comments: Wonderful Rose voice, and everyone involves comes off better than they did in episode IMO- and I say that as a fan of the episode! Turns something heart wrenching into a witty, humorous and yet still slightly bittersweet story without missing a beat.
by Batman Boxers (Sarah)
- Recommended By: StudiousJones
- Pairing: Ten/Gerard Way, past Frank/Gerard
- Synopsis: I’m the Doctor,” he said simply, extending his hand for Gerard to shake. Gerard numbly obliged, his face barely masking his confusion.
- Comments: Two of my favorite things are now one. Still a WIP as of this post, but amazingly done. Gerard has been living in England since Frank's death as an artist. Then he meets the Doctor and his life becomes a hell of a lot more dangerous.
by Jessa L'Rynn
- Recommended by: Kathryn Shadow
- Pairing: Ten/Rose, Seven/Rose
- Synopsis: Because I've tried three times to sum this up and failed, I'm cheating and using Jessa's summary. "The Doctor is out of his depth. The Doctor is wondering what he could possibly be thinking. The companions are having the time of their lives. Two threats at once lead to a complicated situation."
- Comments: Ten ends up masquerading as Q at one point, and that isn't even the most awesome part of the fic.
by Kathryn Shadow
- Trope page
- Recommended by: Edgar L Night, Nemica
- Pairing: Ten/Rose, Alt!Ten/Rose
- Synopsis: Post-Doomsday. "She can't live a fantastic life without him; maybe she doesn't have to." While on an assignment with Torchwood, Rose encounters the Tenth Doctor of Pete's World (whom the author has taken to lovingly calling "Altie").
- Comments: A beautiful fic, alternately thrilling and simply flufftastic. Side effects may include insomnia and squeeitis.
Twelve Cliches That Never Happened To Martha Jones
- Recommended by: Purple Bouncy Ball
- Pairing: Ten/Ten.5/Rose. Slash, het, NSFBS (Not Safe For British Schoolchildren).
- Synopsis: A retelling of The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, in which Rose is still in this universe and married to the Doctor, with some martial problems stemming from a traumatic wartime experience. Ten.5 (dubbed the other Doctor by this author) enters the picture in the metacrisis, and things get a lot more complicated.
- Comments: This is an OT 3, so there is Tencest. The ending is very much a tearjerker; make sure you have tissues on hand. It manages to retell two episodes from Doctor Who without seeming like the author looked up the script and wrote out the whole thing with some names changed. Readers will be able to follow along, even if they don't remember the episode very well, as the fic describes various events that originated from the canon in a way that makes some people go, "Oh, yes, I remember that," and others think, "Hmm, I can't quite place this, but it makes sense and it fits." It's extremely well-written, with nary a grammatical or spelling mistake, and it could very well be a season of Doctor Who, if not for that fact that it's NSFW (there's explicit sex scenes) and it features polyamory. My biggest problem with it is that it ends, but what an ending!)
As the Crow Flies
- Recommended by peppermintflame
- Pairing: Martha/Ten
- Synopsis: It very nearly should be called '12 Times Martha Wanted To Kill The Doctor But Didn't'. It is very, very hilarious. To give a synopsis would be to ruin the beauty of it.
- Comments: Great for Martha/Ten shippers, and the writer really has captured their voices.
The Long Way Home
- Recommended by Crackersdon'tmatter
- Pairings: House/Doctor.
- Synopsis: Ten falls literally falls out of the sky and meets Gregory House for it. After that...well...the Q are involved. And bacon with a side of eggs. Oneshot, as it should be.
- Comments: The polar opposite of comedy
_thirty2flavors and goldy_dollar
Chasing the Paradox
- Recommended by flamingpie
- Pairing: Ten II/Rose, Ten/Rose, Eleven/Rose, Eleven/River
- Synopsis: "After losing the Doctor, Rose sets off to find him again." Is the summary provided by the authors. To say too much more would really spoil it. I'll just add that it takes a rather cliche plot involving Ten II/Rose and Ten/Rose and turns it wonderfully on its head.
- Comments: The voices here are all wonderful. Eleven and Amy are a bit off, as this was written prior to series five, but not badly enough to be distracting, and they don't play the largest of parts anyway. It has what is quite possibly the most beautiful conclusion to any fanfic I've read in years.
The Pandora Project
- Recommended by kyrilu
- Pairing: Tenth Doctor/Simm!Master
- Synopsis: "When the Doctor stumbles into his own future, he takes the chance to find a way to co-exist with an old enemy. But such things are rarely easy, and always come with a price - particularly when the Master is involved."
- Comments: A very in-character Doctor/Master fic. Be wary of the R rating, though. The timey-wimeyness in this story is well-planned out - make sure to keep in mind the events that occur with the past, present, and future selves!
- Recommended by kyrilu
- Pairing: Tenth Doctor/Simm!Master. Rated PG-13.
- Synopsis: At the end of series three, the Doctor and the Master end up travelling together and totally manage not to destroy each other or the universe. More or less. Meanwhile, Martha gets a job offer from UNIT, Jack fails to realise his team are a bit useless, and there's a giant squid for no good reason whatsoever.
- Comments: Quite well-written Doctor/Master. A fun read.
A Life with Rose
- Recommended by: greeneyesrock, Kina Kalamari, caughtbluehanded
- Pairing: Tenth Doctor/Rose Tyler
- Synopsis: A look at how the Doctor and Rose would've turned out if they were both always human. "She walks into the comic book store, and everything changes. An AU story. / "No!" she insists, but she's grinning and bumping his shoulder and he has never, ever talked to anyone like this before."
- Comments: Very well written, with many bits of the show woven in through it. Well worth a read.
- Kina Kalamari: I normally go out of my way to avoid all-human fics, but I was feeling reckless and gave this one a try. It's one of the best things I've read in a while. Definitely worth a read.
- caughtbluehanded: Adorable, hilarious, wonderfully geeky and perfectly in-character.
by Krazy Ky-Sta Hatter
All Couples Have Rows
- Recommended by Mort08
- Pairing: Ten/Rose
- Synopsis: What if Rose never got stuck in the parallel universe? What if she got to spend the rest of her life with the Doctor?
- Comments: At first glance, this story appears to be just another Series 3 AU, but it's turned about to be so much more than that. The author really does seem to have considered just how Rose would affect the stories (and vice versa), then altered them accordingly while keeping them recognizable. Everyone else has their moments too, especially Martha; now that she's no longer a Replacement Goldfish to Rose, she becomes a believable and interesting character in her own right. The story is still a work-in-progress, but definitely worth following; it even made "The Lazarus Experiment" pretty good!
- Kina Kalamari: I read this, and I actually have mixed feelings about it. I agree that Martha was redeemed very well, but there were a lot of things in it that had me frowning. Particularly the fact that Rose and the Doctor keep rather huge secrets from each other, causing them both to be a little out of character. It is a fun read, but don't go into it expecting too much.
by Queen of the Castle
An Incredibly Odd Wedding
- Recommended by: Rain Krystal
- Pairing: Ten.5 a.k.a. Handy/Rose
- Synopsis: Rose Tyler will be the first person to admit that her life with the suddenly part-human Doctor did not start out happy. Nor has it always been bliss-filled even after the two of them settled into a relationship. But then, where would be the fun in that?
by Sanguine Ink
That Home I Find Outside Your Door
- Recommended by Kina Kalamari
- Pairing: Ten/Rose
- Synopsis: Jackie calls Rose to tell her she's getting married. Rose drags the Doctor with her to attend.
- Comments: Normally, pure fluff fics like this one leave me with a skeptical look on my face and a desire for something less ridiculous, but this one was a fantastic waste of ten minutes. Mostly a humor fic, it had me laughing out loud multiple times, and the whole thing was surprisingly believable, considering.
by Queen of the Castle
- Recommended by Jackdaw
- Pairing: Ten/Rose AU
- Synopsis: There are lifetimes' worth of grand adventures, incredible far-off places and endless running for his life stored away inside his head. She's just not sure how much of it is his.
- Comments: A 17k AU in which Rose has never left London and is still just a shop girl, and it had me sniffling and grinning and reading it over and over again. Even if Rose is not usually your cup of tea, this story takes a new perspective on her and her relationship with the Doctor, and it's very much worth your time.