Tropers: Long Live Humour
"So be wise, because the world needs more wisdom. And if you cannot be wise, pretend to be someone who is wise, and then just behave like they would."Lazy, perfectionistic procrastinator. Up-and-coming fanfic author, if I can ever beat writer's block. Up-and-coming artist, if I could be arsed to put pen to paper more than once a week. Up-and-coming research zoologist, if answering letters to lecturers and supervisors ever becomes a habit instead of an afterthought.
— Neil Gaiman
For the love of GOD, please stop capitalising the word "The" in the middle of sentences.
Am currently migrating Useful Notes pages. I've never dared to create a trope. You'll see me:
- Pruning, condensing and occasionally taking a saw to example pages, as befits my genes (language teacher2 = grammar police).
- Fixing namespaces.
- Trying for Brevity Is Wit. Failing miserably.
- Sidling into a forum thread with a muttered reply, then disappearing for eight months.
Works I like, love, or worship:
open/close all folders
- The Book Thief
- Brave New World
- Cien Años de Soledad
- Cats Cradle
- Cold Comfort Farm
- Discworld, the Johnny Maxwell Trilogy, The Carpet People, the Bromeliad Trilogy, and Nation.
- The Dresden Files. Books 1-3 tolerable. Books 4-6 an improvement. Books 7+ are cooking with gas, or possibly paraffin, but whatever that stuff is it's flammable.
- The Mirror Duet
- Pedro Páramo
- The Quiet American and The Third Man
- Sherlock Holmes
- The Third Policeman
- To Kill a Mockingbird
Live Action TV
- Blake's 7 and the 2012-on radio dramas
- Children of the Stones
- Doctor Who, including radio dramas and novels. It's not a programme, it's a way of life.
- Red Dwarf
- Star Trek:
- A Very Peculiar Practice
- All Creatures Great and Small
- Father Ted
- Fawlty Towers
- The Daily Show and The Colbert Report
- Mock the Week
- Monty Python's Flying Circus
- The Thick of It
- The Last Detective
- Sherlock Holmes — Brett & Burke/Hardwicke
- Sherlock — Cumberbatch & Freeman
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson — Livanov & Solomin
- Elementary — Miller & Liu