Fanfic Recs: Eleventh Doctor Fics
Proof that the remaining eleven percent is worth breaking the rules of regeneration for.
These are fanfic recommendations made by Tropers for the Eleventh Doctor
, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page. Geronimo!
open/close all folders
Someone You'd Admire
The Care and Feeding of Tiny Humans (and slightly larger Time Lords)
- Recommended by cellogirl42
- Synopsis: A series 6 AU, as a series of connected one-shots.
- Comments: An ongoing set of short (under 3000 words) stories about the relationships on the TARDIS after the Doctor reunites with his 'daughter' Jenny. There's five stories, so far. The story is really engaging, and you get the sense there's a larger mystery at stake here. Unlike a lot of stories where the author adds another person in the cast, none of the stories read like a script with a few lines added. The whole thing's absolutely lovely, funny, bittersweet, and mysterious, and everyone is completely in character. I can't believe how few reviews this story has on FF.net. -cellogirl42
And I Must Scream
- Recommended by Cinna the Poet, ZombieMonster
- Synopsis: The Doctor returns for little Amelia Pond.
- Comments: I'm not actually sure if it's possible to find a sweeter fic than this. Lovely, especially as a palate cleanser to angst. —cinna
- Recommended by Shupapa, Blue Hospitality
- Synopsis: Silence has fallen, but the Doctor is screaming in the dark, immobile and imprisoned. AU from The Pandorica Opens.
- Comments: This fic answers the question - what if it isn't so easy for the Doctor to escape the Pandorica? Dark and chilling.
Painting Over Cracks
- Recommended by patrckred
- Synopsis: The Rixxi's planet is quite nice. If you don't count the poison, the cannibals and the rain. Rory loves travelling with the Doctor. Sometimes. Occasionally. Maybe once or twice. Today just isn't one of those days.
- Comments: Rory gets to rescue the Doctor for a change.
- Recommended by Analiza
- Synopsis: When the cracks in the universe close, what happened to the Weeping Angels?
- Comments: This fic makes heavy use of timey-wiminess, but the writing is good enough to keep it a readable and fascinating oneshot.
- Recommended by: Enhas
- Synopsis: An Alternate Universe Fic set immediately following the events of "A Good Man Goes To War", in which there is much more about River Song's identity that the Doctor will soon finally know. As River herself says, Demon's Run is not a prophecy... it's a legend.
- Comments: Featuring cameos and tie-ins to past (pre-Moffat) episodes and companions, a very different take on River Song's early life that involves a Stable Time Loop, and a final and tragic showdown in which the prophecy is fulfilled. Everything changes from the moment that Melody gives the Wham Line of her name to the Doctor, and rapidly continues doing so from there. I don't tend to read very many River-reveal stories, but this one was well worth the time invested.
- Recommended by Completely Different, cg12345, Joysweeper, Star Bright
- Synopsis: "People have called Rory Williams brave. He doesn't feel that way." A character study of both the Doctor and Rory, involving Household gods, psychic communications and a sweet little transdimensional tentacled Lovecraftian horror.
- Warning: The author warns that although there's no violence, it does deal with pyschological horror, and could possibly deserve a 'mature' warning for it.
- cg12345: Ohh, that was good. Rory and Eleven are perfect, and I want to give Cally a hug. "Warm hollow rocks sometimes have people inside them. Check before I take a bite." Awww....
- Joysweeper: Thirded. I like this characterization of the Doctor. More alien, kind of volatile-seeming even to his friends, ultimately quite benign but sometimes disturbing about it.
- Recommended by Joysweeper, Master Ferret
- Synopsis: While trying to cope with grief and survivor guilt, Wilf meets the one person he never wanted to see. (Characters are Wilfred Mott and the Eleventh Doctor.)
- Comments: Marks itself as Fix Fic looking at Ten's fear of upcoming regeneration and what happened with the Family of Blood, but it doesn't feel anything like shoehorned and obvious like a lot of those I've seen. There's also the line "I may be a story, but that never means I'm not real," which I just adore, and the mood changes which all seem so fitting.
- Seconded. It's beautifully written. Wilf and Eleven are perfectly in-character and the story itself leaves you with warm, fuzzy feelings.
- Seconded again. It doesn't take the... vaguely condescending route of some Fix Fics, but instead paints Ten's comments on regeneration as a perfectly reasonable reaction to the event. In addition, the musings on the nature of regeneration are beautifully written, and the whole thing is heartwarming without feeling manipulative or forced. –Master Ferret
- Recommended by Joysweeper, Kina Kalamari
- Synopsis: Making decisions for others is fraught with problems, even when the intention is pure. In these stories the Doctor tries to give back some measure of control to people whose fates are already sealed. (Sort of fix-its that aren't fix-its. A bit hard to describe.)
- Comments: Eleven visits Donna and has a talk with River. It's bittersweet - nothing changes, but at least it's their choice, both times.
- Kina Kalamari: Beautifully written, particularly the River one. Definitely seconded.
and its equally excellent sequel Rory's Eleventh Hour
A Companion's Guide To The Doctor
- Recommended by Rain Krystal, Long Live Humour
- Synopsis: Doctor!Donna is in the house, which is to say, she never left. How Eleven's series would look with Donna at his side from the very first moments as seen through a series of dialogues and one note. Also known as the story of how Eleven became Amy's alien space dad. Her weird, crazy, idiot space dad.
- Comments: Perfection. If it could have, this would have been. - LLH
by Chalcedony Rivers
Unwritten and Of Blood and Battle
- Recommended by TARDIS2468, Kina Kalamari
- Synopsis: Amy wakes up in the Tardis and, momentarily believing herself to be back on Apalapucia, calls out for a familiar voice. She gets a little more than she bargained for.
Five Minutes and Raising Amelia
- Recommended by: colaproduct
- Synopsis: "When you know it's the end, who do you call?" "Your friends, people you trust." An AU take on the Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, with two of the Doctor's oldest friends showing up: Rose Tyler and Captain Jack Harkness. The second fic is a continuation, an AU of A Good Man Goes to War/Let's Kill Hitler.
- Comments: In addition to the great writing and fantastic "what if" nature of the story, there's the Jack/River pairing that simply works.
When A Killer Comes to Play
- Recommended by: Gomjibar22
- Synopsis: In "The Eleventh Hour" the 11th doctor takes Amelia with him when he jumps five minutes into the future, five minutes that turn into twelve years. Having accidentally kidnapped her, the Doctor takes her with him on his adventures.
- Comments: This is a great fic that goes into what would have happen if the Doctor took Amelia with him as a child rather than taking her with him as an adult. There is a large amount of continuity with the previous Doctor Who series with past characters making an appearance and their relationship with the Doctor expounded upon.
Nobody Sees, Nobody Notices
- Recommended by oceanlover4evr
- Synopsis: Someone's out to kill the Doctor for the Silence, and he's taken someone close to the Doctor to draw him out. Between the hit-man and the unexpected hostage, it may just be enough to get the Doctor killed.
- Comments: I haven't found much when it comes to decent Eleven-Handy fics, but maybe it's because I found this one first. I must say, it is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. It's got great plot, characterization, everything needed for a wonderful story. Definitely a must-read.
The Wedding Of Lethbridge-Stewart
- Recommended by AMillionSkies
- Synopsis: Rory kept himself out of trouble for over two thousand years, did he? Faintest traces of OT 3, mostly a romantic robot Roman following a box through history.
- Comments: A brilliantly-characterized, often heartbreaking chronicle of Rory's days as The Last Centurion. Though it's mostly filled with little tidbits and episodes that seem perfectly fitting, the best part is how it shows Rory growing, ageing, but ultimately staying the same. A must-read if you've ever wondered about what exactly happened during those years.
A Problem of Background
- Recommended by Lady Of Procrastination
- Synopsis: For a man who lives out of order, pre-wedding jitters come post-vows, and the best way to beat them is to multiply them. Fortunately, however, the Doctor is a Time Lord with very good friends.
- Comments: Set after The Wedding Of River Song. An incredibly funny story that touches on the true nature of love, marriage and friendship.
by (the honorable) Lyricwritesprose
Screams of the mind
- Recommended by: genisgone
- Synopsis: The Doctor needs Martha's advice about a new companion.
- Comments: Quite honestly the best frank discussion of race, class and privilege within Doctor Who (not to mention a few in-universe issues between the Doctor and Martha), and an absolute necessity to read.
- Recommended by: hpfan4ever
- Synopsis: When he stops running and everything is silent, he can hear their screams. The screams of long gone friends that he can never escape.
- Comments: An interesting look on what the Doctor thinks about his past companions after they're gone and what they think of their time spent with him.
- Recommended by Nmn3r3
- Synopsis: An alternate take on the climax of 'The Day of the Doctor' - 13 Doctors working to save Gallifrey? You'd think they'd have more to say!
- Comments: A fic that shows more than just stock footage of other the other Doctors during the climax of the 50th anniversary special; it shows the thirteen Doctors interacting. Though each Doctor gets 3-4 lines maximum due to limits, it's still excellently written, and gives a plausible explanation as to how each Doctor knew what they were supposed to do.
The Myth Of Kissing Princes
- Recommended by Stare Pris
- Pairing: Amelia/Rory
- Synopsis: Christmas 2005. A funny, cute, one-shot.
- Recommended by: Nausicaa
- Pairing: Eleven/Amy
- Synopsis: In the writer's own words, "No TARDIS, no toaster, and Amy's throwing up in the mornings."
- Comments: This is an excellent 'fic with spot-on characterization. It's laugh-out-loud funny, but it's also incredibly bittersweet, and highly worth reading.
- Far more depressing than I expected.
by Sam Storyteller
I can't feel my feet and other parts
- Recommended by: Desiderii
- Pairing: Rory/Amy/Eleven, slight Jeff/Rory
- Synopsis: Spoilers for The Big Bang/5.13. Rory's life is a romance, but definitely not the one he expected.
- Comments: A pretty awesome fic dealing with Rory's situation, all through The Pandorica Opens to after The Big Bang. It's also very accurate to history and the voices are spot on - and the threesome!
The Long Way Home
- Recommended by calvin2x4
- Pairings: Amy/Doctor
- Synopsis: An alternate ending of Amy's Choice, showing what would have happened if Amy had chosen the Doctor over Rory.
- Comments: For Doctor/Amy shippers.
_thirty2flavors and goldy_dollar
The Celebrity Exemption
- Recommended by flamingpie
- Pairing: Ten II/Rose, Ten/Rose, Eleven/Rose, Eleven/River
- Synopsis: "After losing the Doctor, Rose sets off to find him again." Is the summary provided by the authors. To say too much more would really spoil it. I'll just add that it takes a rather cliche plot involving Ten II/Rose and Ten/Rose and turns it wonderfully on its head.
- Comments: The voices here are all wonderful. Eleven and Amy are a bit off, as this was written prior to series five, but not badly enough to be distracting, and they don't play the largest of parts anyway. It has what is quite possibly the most beautiful conclusion to any fanfic I've read in years.
- Recommended by: Malteaser, Gemmabeta
- Pairing: Amy/Rory, Jenny/Vastra (Also mentioned: Doctor/Master, and Rory/Alyssa Milano. Yes, that Alyssa Milano.
- Synopsis: For two thousand years, the Last Centurion stood watch over the Pandorica. Nothing could deter him from his self-imposed duty. Nothing could tempt him away from his lost love. And then Charmed premiered.
- Comments: This is hilarious: the sounds I was making weren't even human. NSFW towards the end, but my god. You will laugh FOREVER.
- Seconded, seriously laugh-out-loud funny, and everyone acts surprisingly in character, what's with the loudmouth Amy, and the passive-aggressive Rory and a Doctor sleeping in racecar beds, which just makes it so much funnier (and sweet).
by Christina K
Epistolary: The 50 Years Before We Were Born
- Recommended by: Coral542383, Kina Kalamari
- Pairing: Amy/Rory, River/Doctor
- Synopsis: Williams was recruited into the Service because he could remember things that hadn't happened yet, and things that were never going to happen.
- Comments: It's a spot-on character study with focus both on the main subject and people and things around said subject, with heartwarming and heartbreaking moments (some at the same time thanks to, well, Time).
- Recommended by Kirayoshi
- Pairing: Amy/Rory, assumed Amy/Rory/Eleven
- Synopsis: Set after "The Angels Take Manhattan"; in 1942 Manhattan, Amy contacts Edwin Bracewell and begins a friendship that will last half a century. Through correspondence and journals spanning 50 years she & Rory leave a chronicle of their lives and a legacy for the Doctor to remember them by.
- Comments: As the title suggests, the entire story is an epistolary, in the form of letters and diary entries between Amy, Rory, Bracewell (from "Victory of the Daleks") and River Song. By turns funny, touching, sad and uplifting, this story paints a vivid and believable picture of how Amy and Rory rebuilt their lives after being sent into the past by the Weeping Angels. One warning; while the story is not explicit, the writer has indicated that, in this continuity, Amy and Rory shared a polyamorous relationship with the Doctor prior to their departure. Currently in progress, updated regularly and rapidly.
- Recommended by The Wild West Pyro
- Pairing: Doctor/Clara, or Whouffle.
- Synopsis: She'd had so many lives spread throughout his time stream. Clara. Fragments throughout time. Once, she was born on Gallifrey. Once, she was a Time Lady. And once, she was the love of the Doctor's life. She saved him. She had always saved him. His guardian angel. His best friend. His family. His soulmate. If only he could truly remember her. 50th Celebration! Doctors 1-11/Clara