Fanfic: The Prince Who Was Promised
He remembered being Harry Potter. Dreamed of it. He dreams of the Great Other too, a creature of ice and death, with eyes red as blood and an army of cold, dead things. He is only the 2nd son of the King, a 'spare', but that changes when things rather left in the dark come to light, and Westeros is torn asunder by treachery and ambition. Winter is coming... but magic is might.The Prince Who Was Promised
is a Harry Potter
/Game of Thrones
crossover by Cxjenious
, in which Harry Potter is reincarnated in Westeros as Prince Harry Baratheon, second son of King Robert Baratheon and Queen Cersei Lannister.
This fanfiction series contains examples of:
- 100% Adoration Rating: The smallfolk adore Harry
- The Ace: Harry-smart, kind, good with a sword, loved by the people and proficient in magic.
- Alpha Bitch: Elaine Lydden post-Time Skip
- Always Second Best: Joffrey is afraid of Harry surpassing him, something he confides to in his mother. Cersei already senses this might lead to trouble.
- Berserk Button: Don't mess with Aeryn in front of Harry. Just don't. Hurting or threatening to hurt Myrcella or Cersei is also a pretty stupid thing to do.
- Jaime isn't at all happy when Harry pesters him with questions about the Sack of King's Landing and his betrayal of King Aerys.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Harry again, as Allar Deem and friends discover.
- Big Brother Bully: Joffrey, as usually, but here there's more emphasize on the possibility that he sexually abuses Myrcella.
- Big Brother Instinct: Harry is very concerned with Myrcella's wellbeing.
- Broken Pedestal: After his encounter with the ghosts of Elia and Rhaenys, Harry's respect for his father all but vanishes.
- Brutal Honesty: Genna plainly tells Aeryn that she'll always be known as "the Black Prince's whore", but softens it by saying she can still be happy as a mistesss.
- Daughter of a Whore: Aeryn
- Domestic Abuse: Cersei is abused by Robert, but tries to hide it from the children. Harry finds out when the three of them get into an argument.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Tyrion gets ridiculously drunk after learning that Tywin is giving Casterly Rock to Harry. He then proceeds to give Harry a verbal beatdown.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Harry calls Robert out for condoning the deaths of innocent people, namely Elia and her children, during his rebellion.
- Cool Old Lady: Harry's great-aunt Genna.
- Cute Ghost Girl: Subverted. The female ghosts Harry encounters are all disturbing in their own way. Special notice goes to Elia Martell, who, instead of the Fragile Flower Harry expects her to be, is one existential plane away from a bloody rampage.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Myrcella and Aeryn. Very much subverted with Cersei, as in Canon.
- High-Class Call Girl: Aeryn's mother.
- Hypocrite: Cersei insists that Harry try to get along with Joffrey because they're brothers, but when he reminds her that Tyrion is her brother, she tells him to shut up.
- Incest Subtext: Mrycella often fantasies about her and Harry in the role of Queen Naerys and Aemon the Dragonknight. A conversation between her and Cersei compares her separation from Harry to that of Cersei from Jaime.
- In-Series Nickname: Harry has a few-Harry the Kind, the Black Lion, the Black Prince.
- I See Dead People: Harry, by way of being a wizard.
- Jacob Marley Apparel: Used disturbingly so, considering all the gruesome deaths that happened within the Red Keep. Princess Rhaenyra actually has a high status among the other ghosts for how horrifically her body was mutilated after being fed to her brother's dragon.
- Momma's Boy: Joffrey and Harry. Justified because Cersei takes far more interest in them than Robert does, so the children latch onto her.
- Master of the Mixed Message: A familial version. Cersei can't tell if she loves Harry for being her son, or hates him for being Robert's. It confuses Harry to no end why she treats him so differently from his siblings.
- Messianic Archetype: Cersei tries to invoke this by demanding the High Septon to anoint Harry in public. She wants his magical powers to be seen as a gift from the gods.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: There are an abundance of ghost in the Red Keep. Only Harry can see them.
- Overly-Long Scream: Rhaenys Targaryen in her first appearance. This is a rare case where its Played for Drama.
- Past Life Memories: Harry often dreams of his old life.
- Passed Over Inheritance: Tywin makes Harry his heir so he can pass over Tyrion.
- Parental Neglect: Robert leaves raising his children to other people.
- Parental Substitute: Since Robert ignores his children, Harry looks to Jon Arryn, his uncles, and later Tywin for guidance.
- People of Hair Color: Harry is the only one of Cersei's children to have Robert's black hair, though his eyes are green like her's. Aeryn has the Valyrian look (Mystical White Hair, Purple Eyes) possibly from both her mother, a Lyseninote whore, and her father, a man from Driftmarknote . Most people in Lannisport have blond hair, which makes Harry stand out.
- Rape as Drama: Aeryn.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Tyrion gave one to Harry. Though he was drunk and bitter at the time, his criticisms actually make sense.
- Scenery Porn: Some of the location descriptions veer in this directions, especially those of Lannisport and Casterly Rock.
- Secret Keeper: Invoked by Cersei, who tells Harry one of her secrets in exchange being told about his powers. Her secret is that when she was pregnant with Harry, she hated the idea of a second child and drank abortifacients to get rid of him. After he was born, she grew to love him.
- Sibling Rivalry: Harry and Joffrey.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: A lesson that just about all the adults in his life keep trying to teach Harry, and not without reason.
- Street Urchin: Aeryn and her friends. Thanks to Harry, Aeryn later gets bumped up to be Genna Lannister's maid.
- Stern Teacher: Tywin to Harry
- This Is Unforgivable: Elia Martell is offended that Harry thinks her death was merely "wrong."
Wrong, little lion, is being humiliated, or robbed, or cheated. What happened to me was far from wrong.
- Time Skip: The series begins shortly before Harry's ninth nameday but the eighth chapter skips to him around his fourteenth/fifteenth.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Pre-Time Skip, Elaine was sweet and somewhat shy, but in Aeryn's POV, she's extremely self-centered and condescending.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Harry for Robert. At first.
- White and Grey Morality: Surprisingly, considering its Westeros. There are clashes between Harry's idealism and his family's Shoot the Dog philosophy.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Harry at first. His parents and uncles make sure to remind him that being a prince doesn't mean life will be a bed of roses. A few years with Tywin tones this down considerably, but he's still not as cynical as the rest of his family.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Harry at the beginning, thanks to his memories from his previous life. Lampshaded by Ser Barriston, who tells him he's too serious for a nine-year old.
- Would Hurt a Child: Robert and Tywin would. After seeing Princess Rhaenys' ghost, Harry starts to question everything he thought about his father and grandfather.
- Yandere: Aeryn seems to be turning into one of these for Harry.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Aeryn's mother.