Fanfic / Goosebumps Adventure
is a Goosebumps
fanfic, though it more closely resembles an original Magical Girl
series (of the Magical Girl Warrior
kind). In fact, the only thing that's Goosebumps-ish
are the Monsters Of The Week
, which are usually various monsters that appeared throughout the books.
Anyway, fifteen-year-old Courtney McRaven Keller
, along with her widowed mother and her Annoying Younger Sibling
Max, have just moved to Amityville. Courtney has a hard time adjusting, but then again, she has always been a loner and she's never really made any friends
However, her life changes forever when applies to work at a Halloween store. The store owner, John D. Stranger, hires her on the spot, gives her a book, and essentially tells her that her job is to make sure no one ever reads the book aloud, least of all her.You can probably guess what happened next.
So the book turns out to be a Sealed Evil in a Can
that housed a slew of dangerous and evil monsters. It turns out, however, that Courtney is also The Chosen One
, and now, with the help of her newly-formed True Companions
, (who call themselves the Night-Bumpers), she must re-capture the creatures and re-seal them into the book
. In other words, a Goosebumps
version of the cartoon series The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo
Uses many Anime Character Types
and Anime tropes despite the setting and series. The story is even divided up in multiple StoryArcs
. Oh, and character profiles can be found at the end of the most recent chapters.
The author has since expanded the universe of Goosebumps Adventures with several other fanfics, including Goosebumps Adventure and AKH: Curse of the Mummy
, a crossover with Gargoyles
, Full Moon High
, a side story set in the same universe but with different characters, and the upcoming Goosebumps Adventure: Stone and Darkness
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Academy of Adventure
- Alpha Bitch: Priscilla.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Max
- Attempted Rape
- Bad Ass Normal: Justin, the only member of the Night-Bumpers, other than Alex, who isn't a mage or a monster. At least most of the time.
- Becoming the Mask: Pretty much like what happened in The Haunted Mask.
- Beleaguered Childhood Friend: Ivy to Courtney
- Big Bad: Revolta
- Blob Monster: Inke can morph in and out of this type of form.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Leon does this when he complains about not being in an earlier scene.
- Cat Girl: Arte
- Chick Magnet: Abnormal girls flock to Justin almost as fast as Tenchi.
- Combat Tentacles: Mr. Krakyn uses these when he reveals his true form.
- Cool Car: The Cerberus.
- Cool Old Guy: John Stranger has this down to a science.
- Cursed with Awesome: Gestalts like Elsa are whirling machines of death that were never human, but want to be like them...which would be an impossible goal, except they can hide their cybernetic parts at will except for the bolts which hold their heads to their bodies, which can be easily concealed via turtleneck. Immediately pointed out by Justin, which causes Elsa to quit with the Supernatural Angst.
- Cute Bruiser: Elsa
- Dark Magical Girl: Zazie
- Daydream Surprise
- Debut Queue
- Defeat Means Friendship: With both Lilith and Zazie.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Zazie is both a figurative and literal example of this trope.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Happens to R.L. Stine himself in the prologue! May also be a Take That!.
- Easily Forgiven: Lilith and Zazie
- Elemental Powers: All magic-users have control over a single element.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors
- Empathic Weapon: The Kinsmir-Blade
- Evil Teacher: Professor Issacs and Mr. Krakyn
- Expy: By Word of God the main characters are all mixes and matches of different characters. Courtney, for example, is inspired by both Asuka and Raven.
- First Kiss
- Five-Man Band
- Forgotten Friend, New Foe: Ivy
- Frankenstein's Monster: Called Gestalts in this 'verse.
- Fur Against Fang
- Goth: Courtney
- Gotta Catch Them All
- Green Thumb: Ivy
- Handsome Lech: Leon.
- Hopeless Suitor: Lilith.
- Horny Devils: Lilith.
- How We Got Here: The Stay Out of The Basement Arc utilizes this.
- An Ice Person: Zazie
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Subverted with Elsa when she begins to bemoan about her existance as a Gestalt, Justin quickly points out that she is basically Cursed With Awesome.
- Implacable Man: Grungy
- Jerk Jock: Josh.
- Loners Are Freaks: Courtney starts off as brooding, anti-social goth, but gradually gets better through the support of her True Companions. Justin, who's also a bit of a social outcast, is her closet friend, in part due to their mutual feelings of loneliness. Zazie is a loner who crushes on Justin and then tries to kill Courtney so that she can have Justin to herself, but she pulls a Heel–Face Turn when Courtney offers to be her friend.
- Love Dodecahedron
- Love Makes You Evil
- Mascots Love Sugar: Oogie loves eating lint.
- Monster Mash
- Muggles Do It Better: In Chapter 18, Alex rams the Cerberus into the Monster of the Week (who at that point literally shrugged off everything the superpowered kids threw at him) and pins him to a wall long enough for Justin to cut off his head!
- Naked People Are Funny: Priscilla and her cronies are grabbed by the Haunted Mask-possessed Courtney while changing in the school locker room, and transformed into more monsters to serve her. After the Mask is defeated, they return to normal but with no memory of what happened, leaving them naked and confused in the town cemetery. The following chapter reveals they had to streak home, and just enough people glimpsed them to start humiliating rumors. When Courtney and Justin hear this, it's all they can do not to crack up in Priscilla's face.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: How the whole mess got started.
- Non-Action Guy: Alex. Lilith even calls him "the normal one of the group".
- Not Wearing Tights
- Our Werewolves Are Different
- Our Zombies Are Different: Of both Type V and Type P varieties. Type P zombies are also flesh-eaters, and their bite can spread the infection. However, there IS a cure for a zombie bite....lemon juice.
- Chapter 22 shows that zombies can retain their intelligence and that they have their own society, including shops where they can buy replacements for rotted off body parts.
- Playing with Fire: Courtney
- The Power of Friendship
- Rasputinian Death: Issacs
- Really 700 Years Old: Both Elsa and Lilith are much older than they look.
- Refusal of the Call
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Unfortunately, the author occasionally has this problem, blemishing an otherwise excellent work.
- Schedule Slip: It's been over a year since this fic has last been updated. Apparently, the author's currently in Navy Boot Camp.
- As of 10-30-2011, he's updating again.
- School Newspaper News Hound: Alex
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The monsters sealed within The Book of Goosebumps.
- Shock and Awe: Elsa
- Shout-Out: To Darkstalkers, Pokémon, Static Shock, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Courtney and Justin both insist this even though Everyone Can See It.
- Shrinking Violet: Zazie
- Stages of Monster Grief: Victor spends most of Chapter 22 in the denial stage until the rest of the (non-human) Night-Bumpers reveal their monster forms to him.
- Stalker with a Crush: Zazie, again
- Super Mode: Justin's Kinsmir-Blade allows him to transform into a half-werewolf, half-vampire! But he can't always control it.
- Teen Genius: Justin
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: The Book of Goosebumps. Ironically, it is also a Great Big Book of Everything.
- Transplanted Character Fic: A few Goosebumps monsters and R.L. Stine himself have guest star appearances in this fanfic. Other than that, this fic has pretty much nothing to do with Goosebumps.
- Virgin Power
- Weasel Mascot: Oogie
- Weirdness Magnet: Trouble follows Courtney wherever she goes, which she lampshades in Chapter 21. However, in a subversion, weird and supernatural incidents have been going on even BEFORE Courtney moved into town.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Ivy, apparently.
- What Measure Is a Mook?: Courtney has no problems frying to a crisp a group of sapient crab monsters working for a Monster of the Week.
- The Wiki Rule: Yes, believe it or not.
- Witch Species: Courtney has latent magical powers due to being descended from a bloodline of Wiccans.
- Wolf Man: A whole pack of them.
- Yandere: Zazie.