Fanfic: Better Left Unsaid
Better Left Unsaid
is a Naruto Fan Fic
by Kenchi618, based on the premise that Mizuki didn't get the chance to tell Naruto he was the Jinchuuriki of the Kyuubi. The result is an exciting and fun divergence from Naruto canon.
[Better Left Unsaid] contains examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Thanks to their wind manipulation, Naruto and Asuma can do this.
- Acquired Poison Immunity: Ino has this after she starts working with poisons to increase her versatility in battle.
- Kankuro has it too. To the same poisons, even.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: While the Team 10 youngsters tend to have the more important battles story-wise, whenever ass needs to be kicked in earnest on their missions prior to the timeskip, it's usually Asuma doing the heavy lifting. And he does it well.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi. He's not known as the professor for nothing.
- Batman Gambit: Gaara wants to kill Naruto in battle more than anything and he leaves the threat hanging that if Naruto doesn't fight him for whatever reason when the time comes he will kill Ino and Shikamaru just because. After Naruto does a stretcher job following the semifinals and isn't present for the start of the finals Gaara threatens to go ahead and kill Shikamaru and Ino. Shikamaru says that Naruto will be there and that if he kills them while he's absent the battle will end and he'll miss his chance. Gaara sees them as so little of a threat he gives them fifteen minutes for Naruto to show. He goes back on it of course, but for the moment it worked and allowed Naruto to surprisingly show up in the nick of time.
- Battle Strip: During the Chunin Exam Finals, Naruto takes off his windbreaker and uses it in a strategy to help him float over a sandy death pit to get to Gaara and deal him some serious damage
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: Ino, Shikamaru, and Naruto respectively.
- Berserk Button: Try to kill Ino in front of Naruto and prepare to expect a Kyuubi-charged beatdown... if you're lucky.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: After running through hotel, diving through a closed window on an elevated story, and finally being cornered by Temari and Kankuro, Shikamaru gives one.
Shikamaru: "I might be a lot of terrible things. A human sloth, a smart-aleck jerk, a ninja with the lowest sense of drive ever seen in the Elemental Nations, the former number one coward of the Guardian Ninja, and a decent amateur male stripper, but if there's one thing I'm not it's a guy that'll cop out and give up something that'll endanger my mission or my friends."
- Choke Holds: Naruto puts one on Haku by reflex accident.
- Neji gets caught in one as well but brutally escapes it.
- Cooldown Hug: Naruto gives one to Fuu. She gets rather annoyed that he tries to give her another one every time they meet.
- Post-timeskip, Fuu has accepted that Naruto will hug her whether she wants it or not. So she returns the favor.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Pre-timeskip Guren vs. Team 10. Even a Kyuubi-charged Naruto only makes her break out a bigger-than-average jutsu to put him down like a rabid dog.
- The rematch between Mizuki and Naruto. Post-timeskip.
- Cute and Psycho: One of Naruto and Shikamaru's seniors in the Guardian Ninja, Kotoko Suzukuro, is beloved by all of the team and respected for her skills, beauty, and pleasant demeanor. She is also ''extremely bloodthirsty'' to the extent that she randomly attacks her own teammates with her lethal ninjutsu for the sake of "Keeping them sharp." And she'll do it with an ever-present smile.
- Defeat Means Friendship: After beating Haku and inadvertently killing Zabuza, Naruto gives Haku a talk that ends positively. Following the timeskip Naruto later assists in a serious mission that he volunteers for in order to help Haku.
- After defeating Fuu she becomes much more docile and receptive to personal interaction from Naruto and others. No hugs though.
- Averted with Gaara. He and his siblings do not wind up closer with the protagonists after their battle, and in the timeskip Gaara even actively seeks a rematch with Naruto.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Happens several times throughout the story to various characters.
- Occurs between with Naruto and Ino repeatedly, with Naruto managing to see her naked without negative repercussions on at least two occasions.
- Sasuke, who actually uses his Sharingan to bore the sight of his 'involuntary' peeking into his memory for life.
- Door Stopper: The story is currently the second longest Naruto on Fanfiction.net, with only the story Drifting longer than it
- Dynamic Entry: Gaara is about to kill Ino when Naruto delivers one straight through his sand defense and drills him right on the chin.
- Fastball Special: Chouji and Naruto attempted this at Shikamaru's urging against an airborne Sai. It worked... more or less. Things turned out as well as they could have given that it missed.
- Flying Weapon: Naruto's machete after the timeskip and he learns how to use Chakra Chains.
- Also how Team 10 finishes off the first round of the Chunin Exam Finals in the first example in this story.
- Goggles Do Something Unusual: Though they go most of the early story as merely functional eyewear, by the time of the timeskip Naruto is good enough with seals that he painstakenly manages to come up with a way to help with his Achilles' Heel in genjutsu. His goggles can block optical genjutsu... so Itachi just breaks them during their first post-skip appearance.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: While Tenten leads Naruto through a weapon shop to show him a weapon in his price range, Naruto is glad when she passes a kusarigama without stopping, thinking that if he started using a blade at the end of a long chain, he would probably end up cutting his own head off at some point. Post time-skip, Naruto's weapon of choice is a machete attached to a long chain.
- Hijacking Cthulhu: Through an extensive series of events eventually involving a jinchuuriki created from a filler arc character in the Shippuuden anime (Yukimaru), Orochimaru manages to take over his body of his own free will and gain full control of the Three-Tails.
- I Can See You: Naruto's prototype name for the rudimentary sensor jutsu that Iruka teaches him at the very start of the story? "I-see-you-motherfucker jutsu".
- Idiot Hero: Naruto of course.
- In the Back: How Naruto kills Kimimaro with his machete after the timeskip.
- Innocent Innuendo: Naruto and Shizune during the Chunin Exams while she is healing his motionless body in private, in a bit of a compromising, private situation.
Naruto: Shizune... I don't think this is allowed.
Shizune: Do you really care if it's legal or not?
- Kill It with Fire: During the Chunin Exam Finals, Sasuke traps Dosu Kinuta in a situation where his only options are to die by fire (straight from Sasuke), die by fire (from the fiery pit he formed around Dosu)... or surrender. Dosu proceeds to choose the first option.
- Know When to Fold 'Em/Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Shikamaru pulled a particularly epic one of these on Rock Lee when introduced to the Eight Gates.
- Love Triangle: Ino and Hinata are competing for Naruto. He has no idea of course.
- Machete Mayhem: Naruto's Weapon of Choice.
- Manipulative Bastard: Kabuto... so hard.
- Mêlée à Trois: Naruto (Konoha) vs. Itachi (Akatsuki) vs. Kimimaro (Oto). Game on.
- Mix-and-Match Weapon: Naruto's machete on a chain.
- Never Be Hurt Again: Fuu's motivation for being a ninja of Takigakure and developing her jinchuuriki abilities, as well as her general Hates Being Touched attitude... at least until the aforementioned Cooldown Hug.
- No Sell: Fuu can No Sell thanks to her jinchuuriki powers, but her powers work in proportion with how threatened she feels. If she isn't afraid of how strong an attack can be, she won't be protected. Whereas if she is overly fearful of an attack that is weaker than she thinks it will be it does absolutely nothing. No attack has directly overpowered this ability in the story yet.
- Noodle Incident: Apparently Shikamaru is a decent amateur male stripper, and Naruto's personal stage name in the same situation was Sergio Butterscotch...
- Pet the Dog: Despite constantly hurling insults back and forth at each other for the duration of thier appearances, after randomly slaughtering an entire team of ANBU, Hidan helpfully carves out the heart of one and offers it to Kakuzu for his supply. You know... because he knows his partner is into that kind of stuff.
- The Plan: Basically the reason Shikamaru exists.
- Post-Victory Collapse: Naruto has one of these after defeating Fuu in the semifinals of the Chunin Exam. After taking a hell of a beating from her super-strength, he negates her chakra-based techniques and walks away after she has a break-down... only to fall out in front of the ref right after being announced as the winner.
- Pyrrhic Victory: The first mission following the timeskip. Despite accomplishing the mission of ridding Mizu no Kuni of Otogakure influence and surviving a run-in with Akatsuki, in the end Orochimaru manages to arrive and leave with the big prize; the jinchuuriki of the Sanbi.. who is completely devoted to him.
- The Rival: Sasuke to Naruto.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: Naruto senses observers during a moment with Ino just before they kiss, but Ino thinks he's using paranoia as an excuse to put off actually doing it. Just as she starts to get on a roll about how he's scared he plants one on her.
- Smoking Is Cool: At first it's just Asuma, but thanks to Kurenai's meddling due to a misunderstanding early in the story she sends Naruto down the slippery slope. At first it's just once every so often, but by the end of the timeskip he smokes just for leisure. Oh... AND because the byproducts of Naruto's cigarettes become an integral part of his fighting style.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Half of Team 10's more awesome plans involve the fact that Naruto learns how to make explosive tags for himself, is fully willing to use his clones to do the grunt work of making them in mass quantities, and thus no one on the team is ever at a shortage of portable explosives.
- Switch Out Move: Shikamaru and Naruto pull this off during the Chunin Exam. While fighting Rock Lee, Shikamaru manages to trap him with his shadow, prompting Lee to begin releasing the Eight Gates to overpower the jutsu and escape. After Lee activates the last one needed to break free, Shikamaru surrenders right before Lee can tear him apart. The reason? The round is a series of one-on-one matches and next Lee has to fight Naruto, who takes his time walking onto the battlefield and stalls further, long enough for the Eight Gates to wear off.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Naruto's final attack of the entire Chunin Exam on Gaara. Hundreds of clones... with explosive tags stuck to them... all going off at the same time. Good lord.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Sasuke gives one of these to jerkass OC character Doroubou during the Chunin Exam before killing him off with a Chidori for trying to use Sakura as a human shield and threatening to harvest Sasuke's eyes for himself.
- The Reliable One: Although his enthusiasm is usually lacking even in serious situations, Shikamaru. Gets. The. Job. Done. No matter what. If Team 10 winds up winning a battle that they all know they have no business being a factor in, it's going to usually be due to a Shikamaru brainchild. He's also the one that keeps things on the level when things get tense, even when he and Naruto go off to join Guardian Ninja. Especially then, because he becomes the Only Sane Employee in that mess.
- The Thunderdome: The Land of Iron's big ass arena where the Chunin Exam Final Rounds takes place. Big and deep. Elevated walls. multiple settings for combat on one battlefield. Yeah.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Naruto abuses this trope hard.
- Tournament Arc: Come on... it's a Naruto fan fic. Do you really thing there isn't a Chunin Exam in this thing?
- But it is the biggest one ever apparently, and there are differences that don't really happen in others.
- No One Could Survive That: In the post-timeskip battle between Naruto, Itachi, and Kimimaro, the latter endures an accidental team-up between Naruto and Itachi that results in the entire hollowed out interior of a mountain turning into a death storm oven of black scalding ash and fire. He then survives an Odama Rasengan that brings down the entire weakened mountain on top of him. After all of that, Kimimaro still reappears and manages to gravely wound and nearly finish Naruto off.
- Retractable Weapon: Naruto's machete on a chain, post time-skip.
- Spell Book: Naruto finds a guide on sealing written by Jiraiya in the library.
- Variable-Length Chain: The chain on Naruto's machete post time-skip, due to it being a chakra chain.
- Whip It Good: In the Naruto/Tenten rematch during the Chunin Exams she brandishes a whip after quickly being surrounded at the outset of the battle. Naruto's clones are not pleased.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Naruto is fond of suplexing his opponents.
- Your Mom: Naruto delivers one of these in the first phase of the Chunin Exams while tied helplessly to a chair for interrogation purposes. It ends exactly how he expects it to. Not well.