Fan Fic / Time Mix Up
is a recommended Peggy Sue
in which after Naruto gets captured by the Akatsuki to get the Nine-Tailed Fox extracted, the Kyuubi and Naruto work together and use a time-travel jutsu to stop the Akatsuki.
But wait! Kakashi
is traveled back in time after Sasuke murdered Naruto in the Valley of the End to get a second chance and be the teacher he should have been...But wait!
Jiraiya traveled back in time after Orochimaru successfully took over Sasuke's body and Oto and Iwa invaded Konoha to stop Orochimaru and not bury another student...But wait!
Tenzo traveled back in time after Pein razed Konoha to the ground and Naruto released the Kyuubi in despair
to save Konoha and convince Naruto that maybe using the Kyuubi's chakra is a bad idea...
What happens when you get four time travelers from different bad futures
in the same timeline to try things? Hilarity Ensues
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Acquired Poison Immunity: Naruto is immune to many poisons after he tried to eat several of them as a child to the point he drinks antifreeze as juice.
- The Alcoholic: Sasuke, who usually drinks alone to get to sleep (thanks to the abuse he suffered as a child, including being forced to drink); underage alcoholism is noted by Kakashi to be a problem amongst genin.
- All Abusers Are Male: Subversion - Sasuke's abusers were women, one of whom was a serial child molestor.
- Almighty Janitor: Naruto grew up, sorted out many of his affairs and eventually became Hokage in Gaara's timeline, but because he never received a prior promotion he had to retake the Chunin Exams. Many people had joked that Naruto was the new "Eternal Genin", or that one has to be Kage-level to become a Chunin.
- Alternate Timeline: Jiraiya, Tenzo, Kakashi, Naruto and Gaara all come from different timelines with different Bad Ends. Invoked in the Omake, when Kakashi finds out that Obito survived and he killed Rin in the new timeline, where Obito died for real in Kakashi's original timeline.
- Artifact of Doom: Tsunade's necklace was believed to be one, so when Tsunade explained to Hiruzen that Tenzo took it and gave it Naruto, he took out an arrest warrant
- Ass Shove: The Uzumaki were infamous for this in Water Country, for the time they shoved the Seven Swordsmen of Mist's swords up their butts. According to Zabuza, his mentor still finds sword shards in his rectum... Tazuna thanks God that Naruto takes after his dad in that respect.
- Apparently even Naruto can do this if he feels like, as shown by Gato getting killed by the Water Proctologist Jutsu.
- The Atoner: Kakashi, Played for Laughs, as he tries to make it up to Naruto for being a bad teacher, but gets misunderstood by everyone else.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: You know Naruto's Canon personality? That's when he's on medication! As it turns out, his extremely high chakra levels (due to being both an Uzumaki and a jinchuuriki) apparently make him so uncontrollable that at age 2, he needed to be kept in padded room until they found a way to give him his medication - without it, he not only can't live a normal life, he'd probably die at a young due to his body being unable to handle the constant tension and lack of sleep. Sasuke, Sakura, Zabuza, Haku and Tazuna's family all witness firsthand just how out-of-control a Naruto without his meds can get:
Bright! Bright! Leaf! Bright! Tree! Bright! Oooh squirrel! Bright! Eeew spider! Bright! Pakkun! Pakkun! Pakkun! Kakashi-sensei! Huh, leash? Bright! Pretty bird! Owww! Acorns! Owww! Badger! Owww!
- Bad Future: Lampshaded by Naruto to Gaara, who's the only time traveler who didn't came from one.
- Bad Luck Charm: Tenzo had a string of bad luck when trying to deliver Tsunade's necklace to Naruto.
- Big Brother Instinct: Iruka is set off by Kakashi and Jiraiya's sudden desire to be close to Naruto.
- Black Comedy: Gaara was bored in the Forest of Death, so when Orochimaru showed up he turned him into a basketball. The Uzumaki apparently weaponized this.
- Brain Bleach: A non-Squick version. Turns out Danzo is not immune to Naruto - he just has ROOT erase his memory each time after having prolonged contact with the kid.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: To why Jiraiya wasn't taking care of Naruto
Naruto: The reason I haven't been living with Ero-senin all along is because he's been away the last twelve years peeking into women's baths, writing perverted books, and keeping track of a child murdering freak.
- Butterfly of Doom: Jiraiya, Naruto, Tenzo and Kakashi note the minor effects make major changes, like Kakashi giving Naruto a new outfit with his clan symbol on prominent display results in Kiri nin fleeing because they realize he's an Uzumaki.
- Cannibal Clan: The Uchiha Clan eat their dead as funerary tradition.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Naruto finds out when he and Sasuke go out for drinks to celebrate a successful D-Rank that Sasuke is a melancholic drunk and tends to reveal personal secrets. Which is how Naruto finds out Sasuke was neglected and sexually abused by his caretakers post Uchiha Massacre.
- Cassandra Truth: Tenzo reveals that Kakashi's excuses to why he's late are true. Kakashi stops to help the little old lady on Life Street who own extremely vicious black cats.
- Continuity Drift: Inconsistencies from Canon are utilized and explained within story.
- Cool Old Guy: Danzo used to bribe Kushina to pull pranks on Hiruzen. What.
- Cowboys and Indians: Playing ninja, which Naruto and Gaara indulge in.
- Crack Fic: The story begins descending towards this during the Exam finals. Good.
- Not that it wasn't already heavy on comedy, mind you.
- Death Is Cheap: Kabuto is accidentally (supposedly) killed in the Chunin Exams; Gaara predicts right away that he's coming back.
- Deconstruction Fic: of the Peggy Sue fic, but differently as the Peggy Sues all come from different outcomes in the future which create alternate timelines. Their efforts to change the future can cause problems as they can interfere with the other's plans and people notice that they are acting different from their usual character.
- Gaara demonstrates that the Peggy Sue doesn't have to come from a Bad Future, or even mean to come in the first place!
- Decon-Recon Switch: A lot of Continuity Drift from Naruto is lampshaded and justified within story.
- Why Kakashi or Jiraiya didn't care for Naruto if they knew his parents? As Naruto said, Kakashi was only fourteen and Jiraiya is an irresponsible adult who can't take care of small children.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: While the Uchiha eat their dead, talking about an Uchiha's funeral arrangements while said Uchiha is still alive is consider just as bad as eating them while they are still alive.
- Department of Child Disservices: When Hiruzen found out what happened to Sasuke wasn't an isolated incident, he cleans house trying to correct this.
- Despair Event Horizon: Kakashi in his original timeline, Naruto in Tenzo's timeline and Hinata in the current timeline.
- The Dreaded: The Uzumaki to all of Kiri. To the point when the Demon Brothers and Zabuza find out that Naruto is an Uzumaki, they run for the hills. Naruto eventually becomes one in his own right, earning the nickname "Hell God".
- Driven to Suicide: Sasuke mistakes Naruto for this when the latter goes to the shed to get some antifreeze to drink after having gotten his medication.
- Hinata nearly killed herself after her match with Neji went horribly and no one was there for her (Naruto's team were disqualified due to Kakashi entering the Forest of Death to stop Orochimaru, leading to her forfeiting).
- Early-Bird Cameo: Shin, Sai's older brother, gets a short scene where he's buying Sai a teddy bear.
- Easy Evangelism: Lampshaded by Tenzo in that many enemies of Naruto convert to his side and change their ways or die in repentance. Tenzo then locks Danzo and Naruto in a closet in hopes of invoking it. Subverted as it had been tried six times before and Danzo would remain the same. Double Subverted as it turns out it does work on Danzo, but ROOT mindwipes him back to normal.
- Invoked by Naruto himself, when he decides to beat up Neji for driving Hinata into nearly committing suicide.
- Even Well-Intentioned Extremists Has Standards: Koharu was horrified to learn of Sasuke's mistreatment and realized that Danzo might had a hand in it. Koharu decided to confide in Hiruzen of her suspicions and rein Danzo in.
- Everyone Can See It: Including Naruto, who actually knew that Hinata was stalking him. Her being in love with him, however..
- Extreme Omnivore: Thanks to his Acquired Poison Immunity Naruto can eat anything, to the point he drinks antifreeze since it tastes sweet.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Naruto gives Sasuke Kakashi's copy of Icha Icha Paradise, advising him to keep it hostage during the bell test; Sasuke instead drops it and kicks it into the bushes. Kakashi proceeds to beat him up for disrespecting the book.
- Naruto realized that Kabuto deliberately made himself smell like ramen during the Chunin Exams.
- Flaw Exploitation: Utilized by Tenzo, who uses Tsunade's gambling habits against her to win her necklace.
- Gambit Pileup: What happens when four time travelers try to change things. Several plans go wrong when someone else gets involved.
- Harmful to Minors: Kakashi is shocked when it seems that Naruto has read Icha-Icha.
- Sasuke is an alcoholic, and started when his caretakers forced him to drink alcohol as a child.
- Highly Visible Ninja: Naruto. But it's pointed out that Naruto managed to evade several skilled Chunin and Jounin while wearing bright orange and was only caught when he felt like it. Both Sasuke and Neji become his proteges after he explains this to them.
- I Ate WHAT?!: Naruto, after being invited to a Uchiha funerary feast.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The Uchiha clan. Naruto was invited to a Uchiha funeral after one of them tried to adopt him and make him part of the clan and offered some of the meat...
- Kakashi, Rin and Minato ate Obito, along with Obito's parents who wanted him to have the proper Uchiha funerary rites since Obito was disowned by the clan after giving Kakashi his eye. But only in the timeline(s) where he actually did die.
- I Can Explain: Naruto fast-talks Hiashi from forcing Gaara to marry Hinata by explaining that Gaara and Hinata were with him but to Gaara, having a chaperone meant something else.
- Innocent Innuendo: In-Universe, when Konahamaru ask Sarutobi if go play tag with Naruto, Gaara, and Sakura.
Konohamaru:"Jiichan, can I go outside and play with Naruto?"
Sarutobi:"Why do you want to go and play with Naruto? It's three fifteen in the morning?"
Konohamaru:"He, Gaara, and Sakura are playing a game that looks really fun."
- Which leads to Hiruzen to drawing the wrong conclusion and thinks it's something else until Konohamaru thinks he being denied because Sakura is chasing Naruto and Gaara with live kunai.
- Interrupted Suicide: Naruto stops Hinata and manages to talk her down.
- It Amused Me: Naruto didn't tell Kakashi, Jiraiya or Tenzo that he's also a time traveler because he works their plans with his and missed being treated like a kid.
- Kids Are Cruel: Played with - Inari put a hole in the escaping mercenaries' boat knowing full well that they'd drown, but he felt bad about it when his mom tells him that was wrong. His mother simply punishes him with no dessert, knowing her son accidentally committed homicide but unable to not feel relieved by those men's deaths.
- Lethal Chef: Jiraiya, which is why Naruto learned how to cook.
- Lethal Joke Character: The Uzumaki were a clan of these, known for their deadly and comedic techniques. They were infamous for their humiliating tactics.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Naruto tells Haku, Sakura and Sasuke that he's from five years in the future, but doesn't tell Tenzo, Kakashi or Jiraya that. The latter discover the other time travelers, but don't know of Naruto until they have a planned meeting and Naruto reveals from what point in the future he's from.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Kakashi and Jiraiya were seen as suspicious to Iruka. Then again, anyone would be suspicious when two adults shower gifts and attention to a boy they just met.
- Mundane Utility: Haku uses his senbon as knitting needles
- Nailed To The Wagon: Kakashi made sure that no liquor store would sell alcohol to Sasuke as a way for Sasuke to go sober.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: The Uzumaki to Kiri nin. Literally, Kiri has a Run-On-Sight order.
- Noodle Incident: The Iwa Incident for Gaara, all is known that Kankuro had to marry an Iwa nin.
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead: Why no one speaks bad of the Uchiha clan when they were otherwise hated and distrusted when they were alive. They chose not to remember that the Uchiha were suspected of causing the Kyuubi attack and remember an old and distinguished clan....and project it on to Sasuke.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Kakashi helped Jiraiya and Anko capture Orochimaru in the Forest of Death, but as a resulted he accidentally got Team 7 disqualified.
- No Medication for Me: Kakashi forgot to refill Naruto's prescription for Chakra-Induced Attention Deficiency Hyperactive Disorder, it ends badly.
- No Party Like a Donner Party: The Uchiha tradition of eating the dead started after a couple of hard winters before the founding of Konoha.
- Not What It Looks Like: When Kakashi meets Naruto for the "first" time, he randomly gives him hugs, buys him sweets and helps him shop, among other things. Iruka comes to the mistaken conclusion that he's a paedophile.
- Omake: There is one in ch.31.
- Orwellian Retcon: The author had to later edit the earlier parts in order to comply with the new reveals of the manga.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Kakashi's being affectionate towards Naruto, repeatedly, is this to outsiders. As was his arriving to a meeting with Hiruzen early (which had actually slipped from is memory over the years - he'd come for unrelated reasons).
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Hiruzen almost had a heart attack when Kakashi came to a meeting an hour early.
- Temari and Kankuro freak when Gaara suddenly acts nice.
- Pædo Hunt: Mocked at first, but taken seriously when Naruto accidentally finds actual pedophiles and tells Iruka. Afterward, all genin were required to take a seminar on how to recognize sexual predators. Naruto was forced to explain why Kakashi and Jiraiya weren't pedophiles, just horribly misguided.
- A couple of parents called for the execution of the newly convicted pedophiles.
- Peggy Sue: Naruto, Kakashi, Jiraiya, Tenzo and Gaara.
- The Power of Friendship: Pretty much the story's strongest theme
- Rant-Inducing Slight: Gai unintentionally accuses Naruto of being a possible traitor, Kakashi gets angry and goes off a rant demanding to know why people immediate blame Naruto for everything.
- Justified - Kakashi was proposing an I Have This Friend.../What If? scenario to try and get advice on how he's supposed to feel about Sasuke (who has betrayed/will betray the village and Naruto); Gai mistakenly assumed he was referring to Naruto. After offending Kakashi, he started kicked himself for not noticing the parallels between Neji/Sasuke and Lee/Naruto.
- Rape as Backstory: Sasuke was molested by his caretakers as a child. Naruto was nearly molested by an orphanage caretaker taking out his anger over the Kyuubi on him.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Sexual abuse of minors is a literal death sentence in Konoha.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Gaara likes to do macrame, design and make clothes and blankets for his siblings.
- Really Gets Around: The Second Hokage, Senju Tobirama, to the point his brother made a law trying to rein in his promusucity. Tobirama instead extended his tastes to outside Konoha. Many people in Suna, Iwa, Kiri, Wave and Kumo can claim him as their ancestor.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Gai and Asuma believe Kakashi is so nice to Naruto because Kakashi feels guilty that Naruto almost got killed and framed by Mizuki. Kakashi was offered to adopt Naruto once and he has a precedent of having drastic personality changes when someone close to him dies.
- Running Gag: Water Country and the Uzumaki.
All throughout his childhood his mother had told him that if he wasn't a good boy, an Uzumaki would get him. He'd never believed her, and had instead believed it when his friends had told him that the Uzumaki were all dead. His mother had been right all along. He hadn't been a good boy, and if that Uzumaki hadn't been kept on a leash he would have gotten him.
- Sarcastic Confession: Tenzo is quick to reveal he's from the future to his ANBU captain. The captain lets him go on medical leave.
- Scare 'Em Straight: Naruto invokes this when he tells his classmates about Orochimaru's heinous crimes while Sasuke is in hearing distance.
- Secret Keeper: Naruto has Sasuke and Sakura, as well as Haku (who was listening in) and by extension Zabuza; later, Gaara joins in. The other three time travellers find out about each other's time-travel, but are aware neither than Naruto knows of it nor that he's also involved until he finally tells them - leading to a Spit Take.
- Shotgun Wedding: Gaara was nearly forced to marry Hinata because Hiashi thought he was "training" with Hinata without a chaperone. They were measuring Hinata for the wedding kimono (while she was unconscious) before Naruto cleared things up.
- Shrouded in Myth: The Uzumaki are infamous outside of Konoha to the point that mothers used them as a boogeyman to scare their children into being good. Several characters thought Uzumaki were a myth until they met Naruto.
- The Sleepless: Played for Laughs, what bothers Gaara is not his inability to sleep, but the boredom of being awake in sleeping hours with nothing to do.
He had a feeling that what had freaked Kankuro and Temari out about his game of Orochiball so badly was the fact that he had been behaving somewhat "out of character" rather than the viciousness and brutality of his actions. This was a side of him that almost nobody ever saw because, they were usually asleep when it came out. During his youth, he'd had to fill his empty hours with something, and killing assassins only took a second or two...
- The Stations of the Canon: Played With, Kakashi considers holding Sasuke back from the Chunin Exams and wait until he's more mentally stable, but realizing if they do they lose their information advantage.
- Ultimately, justified while they want and do change certain outcomes, they mostly try to stick with previous events to not lose their advantage.
- Take That: To Sasuke's early Shippuden outfit, in Chapter 23:
It wasn't just the whole curse seal and attempted body takeover thing that he feared. While he was willing to wear the ridiculous tracksuit since it actually served a purpose, he'd seen a sketch of what Orochimaru had him wearing in three years, and...He suppressed a shudder as he pictured the open fronted shirt, and purple assbow that apparently matched the one belonging to Orochimaru. The fangirls were bad enough now. He could only imagine what they'd be like if he wandered around with his shirt half-off. They'd probably try to rape him in public or something.
- Talking Down the Suicidal: Naruto talks down Hinata after Neji performed his Break Them by Talking, which was successful due to Naruto's absence from the exam.
- Things That Go "Bump" in the Night: In Water Country, the Uzumaki are boogeymen used by mothers to their misbehaving children.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Gaara, who was the Godaime Kazekage who accidentally time traveled. Played for Laughs as everyone who personally knew him freaks out at sudden change in behavior.
- Trickster Mentor: Sasuke asks Naruto to train him after seeing Naruto single-handedly take down an army with prank jutsu. Naruto accepts because he wants to distract Sasuke from revenge and get back at him.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Sasuke's alcoholism as shinobi have to be at least 16 to be allowed drinking and he has been drinking since a very young age.
- Wax On, Wax Off: Sasuke realizes how much skill, speed and planning to pull off Naruto's pranks and get away from the ANBU...in a fluorescent pink jumpsuit. Neji also becomes a believer....in a fluorescent yellow jumpsuit!
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Played for laughs with Temari's deathly fear of insects - she ends up facing Shino in the Chnin Exam Finals, and makes herself look completely worthless as opposed to the decent showing against Shikamaru in the normal timeline.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Played With, Tenzo knows that Naruto was pushed into releasing the Kyuubi and wouldn't do it otherwise. Kakashi and Naruto considered killing Sasuke, but realized they would have too many repercussions.
- You Will Be Spared: Gatou's mercenaries thought Naruto was averting it when they discovered there was a hole in the boat he dumped them in. Turns out Naruto did intend to spare them, but Inari put a hole in their boat.