The characters of the webcomic Zap!
open/close all folders
Excelsior's Crew, past and present
A amnesiac psychic spaceship captain.
He sometimes lapses into a Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
, especially when Reona is in danger. Most of the time he's the Idiot Hero
- Amnesiac Dissonance: Zap, Efrem, and Gunner were on the same side, and Zap was much darker than his post amnesia personality.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: In the final chapter, he uses up too much energy and disperses throughout the universe. But after 3 years, thanks to the Power of Love, he is eventually able to piece himself back together.
- Battle Aura
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Gunner puts him through psychic torture and brainwashing to force Zap into helping him Kill All Humans.
- The Captain: He really grew into this role over time.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Falling into the Cockpit: Zap, on the run from the GEF, literally falls into the cargo hatch and is made captain by the ship.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- Heroes Want Redheads: Or at least Reona.
- Idiot Hero
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Zap forgets nearly everything, leaving no remnant of his former skills, just his name. It turns out he did this to himself to distract Gunner.
- The Last of His Kind: Along with Gunner and Efrem, he is one of the last known surviving Lost Ones. He believes that there are others out there, but Gunner is not so optimistic.
- Let's Get Dangerous: When you see Zap start to glow, some shit's goin' down.
- Love Redeems: He was originally working with Gunner to get revenge against the GEF. But after Efrem located the literal girl of his dreams, he was able to get Zap to join his side.
- Psychic Powers
- Replacement Goldfish: There's various comments on how like Ephrem Zap is. At least one side character calls Zap Reona's "Replacement Boyfriend."
The redheaded first mate
of the ship with an Arm Cannon
. In the current arc she'll learn to be more assertive.
The ship herself, who communicates via Robot and can choose her own captain.
A huge four armed Genius Bruiser
, with Overprotective Dad
tendencies towards Reona.
Formerly named XR-7439-Q, Robot is the Snarky Non-Human Sidekick
, a sentient Robot Buddy
(though the "buddy" part is involuntary and quite questionable).
Kasey is a type of alien called a Stickle, and is a Wrench Wench
and Bungling Inventor
The Left for Dead
former captain, and is not as he first seemed.
- Battle Aura
- Brainwashed and Crazy: He was hinted to have been placed under mind control by the psychic crown he wears, but this turned out to be incorrect.
- Face-Heel Turn: It is later revealed that he hadn't and was only operating as The Mole.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- Heroic Sacrifice: He sacrificed his own life to save Reona and Grontar. Except maybe not. But played straight in the finale, where he runs out of energy and disperses.
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: This turns out to be one of the real reasons he left Reona. He was heading off to rejoin and work as The Mole against Gunner's genocidal scheme and didn't want her drawn into the danger.
- The Last of His Kind: Along with Gunner and Zap, he is one of the last known surviving Lost Ones.
- Left for Dead
- The Lost Lenore: For Reona, until he pretends to try to kill her, anyway.
- Matchmaker Crush: Efrem had intended Reona for Zap all along, but formed a relationship with her due to wanting to have something Zap wanted.
- The Mole: He was seemingly this to the Resistance. Though he is actually this to Gunner. Gunner is well aware of this however, and has threatened to kill his "friend" if he actively goes against his plan.
- Never Found the Body: After Efrem's apparent death, the crew was teleported back to the ship.
- Psychic Powers: Only a psychic can pilot Excelsior.
A Space Pirate
who kidnaps Reona and Robot seeking to use them in her quest for revenge. She later joins the crew of the Excelsior.
- Space Pirates
- Talk Like a Pirate: Much to the confusion of her crewmates, sometimes.
Holly: Arr, shiver her timbers, mates!
Inman and Scherzer: (confused looks)
Holly: Just... hit her on the head.
Inman and Scherzer
Holly's underlings, who refused to leave after she dismissed them.
A high-ranking member of the Rebellion, and Reona's superior. He was captured by William and held captive by the GEF until his rescue by Grontar.
A Rebellion grunt who drinks too much. He pointed the GEF at Zap in the backstory, causing him to flee and land aboard the Excelsior. Captured by the GEF at the same time Justin was.
Demonica was a fellow waitress with Reona, and introduced her to Efrem. She has since taken over the Rings of Luck Casino and helps out the Rebellion.
The Serpent's Faction
A mysterious psychic from Zap's past with a Meaningful Name
- Combat Pragmatist: Gunner gets tired of the psychic battle and just shoots Zap.
- Depower: Unwilling to kill him, Zap strips him of his psychic powers and exiles him to an uninhabited planet.
- Firing One-Handed
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- The Gunslinger
- Kill All Humans: His ultimate goal is to annihilate the human race as revenge for the GEF destroying his.
- The Last of His Kind: Along with Zap and Efrem, he is one of the last known surviving Lost Ones. Zap believes that there are others out there, but he is not so optimistic.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: So pretty he's very much subject to Draco in Leather Pants.
- Meaningful Name: And not just his last and first name, either.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- Revenge Before Reason: Most of his race was destroyed by the GEF, and he seeks to Kill All Humans as revenge. He is willing to do anything to accomplish his vengeance, even torture or murder his best friends. Vitale knows that Gunner is beyond dissuasion, but points out just how pointless his actions are.
- The Unfettered: He is willing to kill anyone who gets in the way of his quest for revenge. Even his closest friends, the only other survivors of the destruction of his world.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: The GEF killed off his entire race, save himself, Zap, and possibly Efrem. His response? Kill 'em All.
A deadly katana wielding Cat Girl
. She cut off Reona's arm in a flashback.
The leader of the the Galilean Satellites, Io has the power of fire. He seems to be serious in personality.
One of the Elementaros, a race that can control the elements, and a member of the Galilean Satellites. Callisto has control over water.
One of the Elementaros, a race that can control the elements, and a member of the Galilean Satellites. Europa has control over wind.
They youngest of the Elementaros, a race that can control the elements, and a member of the Galilean Satellites. Ganymede has control over earth.
The bungling head of the GEF, who has started a pogrom against Psychics.
- Asshole Victim: The President was not a nice man, but Gunner, the mastermind behind his murder, is arguably worse.
- Corrupt Politician: He forcibly annexes planets to the GEF and is mostly in it for the money.
- Evil Laugh: Seen here.
- A Glass of Chianti: Billings does this on one scene where he tries to be serious.
- Our Presidents Are Different: President Buffoon.
- Puppet King: While nominally in charge of the GEF, Maximus and Feonix are able to play him like a puppet by baiting him with promises of money. However, they apparently do get tired of technically answering to him and assassinate him. It turns out that they originally had been perfectly satisfied using him as a figurehead, but Gunner planted a desire in their minds to get revenge and seize direct power.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: While thoroughly evil and even genocidal, he is quite comical. Naturally, he gets assassinated by his own generals as the comic starts taking a darker tone.
A GEF commander and the head of the Psychic Academy. His character is gaining importance in the story.
A powerful psychic and adviser to the President. Vitale adopted the orphaned William and raised him.
The general of the GEF's ground forces. He's planning a coup.
The general of the GEF's aquatic forces. His species rebelled against the GEF long ago, but Yago seemingly betrayed them and surrendered. Now he seeks to destroy the GEF from the inside.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After Gunner releases the mind control he used to make Feonix and Maximus murder the president, Feonix is absolutely horrified.
- Off with His Head!: He is killed by Zap.
- Really 700 Years Old: 712, to be precise.
- The Starscream: He supposedly betrayed his people, but in actuality did this to seize power inside the GEF on his people's behalf. For a long time, he was satisfied with using Billings as a Puppet King, but Gunner used his psychic powers to plant a desire for vengeance, resulting in him working together with Maximus to assassinate Billings and seize power for himself.