open/close all folders
The Wraith's Crew
Voiced by: George Newbern
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: The first episode established how impractically heroic Ren can be: when a friendly dragon orders him to run as he holds off Bloth's crew, Ren can't resist looking back and see the dragon is being overwhelmed. Despite the obvious danger, and the fact that the dragon told him to flee in the first place, Ren charges right back into the fray to try to save the dragon.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde
- Good Is Dumb: Mostly averted, but Ren is only seventeen and sometimes gets taken for a fool by crafty one-off villains who play on his kindness.
- The Hero
- Hidden Backup Prince: Prince Ren was raised by a lighthouse keeper unaware of his true heritage until the first episode. Hiding him was proven a wise move, considering Bloth had killed Ren's father's other heirs.
- Magnetic Hero
Voiced by: Jodi Benson
- Action Girl: Even after she gets her ecomancer abilities, she's still consistently competent and remarkably tough.
- Closer to Earth: Leaving out the ecomancer powers, Tula is the only member of the crew who doesn't manage to screw up The Quest through some personal failing (Ren's innocence, Ioz' greed, Niddler's gluttony)
- Face–Heel Turn: By the final episode, she's totally fed up with having to put up with her male counterparts and joins a tribe of man-hating Deltha Warriors, who then make slaves/prisoners out of Ren and Ioz. Whether or not this was purely so she could get closer to the last Treasure of Rule is anyone's guess.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Tula's ecomancer powers facilitated a great many plots. About the only thing she couldn't do was kill dark water.
- Only Sane Girl
- Pink Means Feminine
- Pirate Girl
Voiced by: Hector Elizondo (Season 1), Jim Cummings (Season 2-3)
- Big Brother Instinct: Develops one towards Ren. Late in the series, it's revealed he has a younger sister and he spends an entire episode trying to keep her out of trouble.
- Distressed Dude: SO many times! And more often than not, it's his own fault.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Starts out as this, but gradually mellows throughout the series.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Pun aside, he really does care about Ren, Tula, and even Nidler, at least enough to pull their fat out of the fire when things get tough.
- Loveable Rogue
- Mr. Fanservice: Ioz flashes the most skin out of the whole cast.
- Mr. Vice Guy: "I only signed up for this noble adventure for the treasure!"
- Pointy Ears
- Token Evil Teammate: Used to work for Bloth, is obsessed with treasure, and often counsels the most ruthless measures in the series.
- Unscrupulous Hero
Voiced by: Roddy McDowall (Season 1), Frank Welker (Season 2-3)
- Action Pet: It takes him a while, but he gets there!
- Big Eater
- Lovable Coward
- Team Pet
- Took a Level in Badass: It's subtle, but by the time the series ended, Niddler had gotten a lot less concerned for his own skin, and was willing to do things like use himself as dagron bait to distract Konk from the crew.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Those jitatin minga melons.
The Maelstrom's Crew
Voiced by: Brock Peters
- Bad Boss: Just count how many times he has Konk thrown to the Constrictus. Threatens his other crew members with this at lest once per episode with the only exceptions being the few episodes that Bloth isn't in.
- Big Bad: At least he likes to think so...
- Gonk: Pallid gray-white skin. No eyebrows. Disproportionately large, snaggle-toothed mouth with blue lips. Blue claws for fingernails.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: A ruined eye and a torn ear.
- Large Ham: TORMENT MY EYES!
- Large and in Charge: Canonically seven and a half feet tall and over a quarter ton; rules his crew with an iron fist.
Voiced by: Peter Cullen
- The Dragon: He's one of the cooler heads on the Maelstrom's crew and often advises Bloth, although the latter seems like he'd be happy to replace him if a better option came along.
- Lean and Mean: He's freakishly gaunt and spidery-looking.
Voiced by: Tim Curry
- Fed to the Beast: Thrown to the Constrictus by Bloth numerous times. It's how he got his Pirate Pegleg.
- Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth: ...although it didn't ever manage to eat him. He was its only victim to ever escape (before Ren came along), perhaps because:Mantus: Once the beast had a taste of Konk, why would he want another bite?
- Too Spicy for Yog Sothoth: ...although it didn't ever manage to eat him. He was its only victim to ever escape (before Ren came along), perhaps because:
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Is the butt of one of these remarks in the episode Andorus.
- Bloth: You've picked the wrong fight, girl! I have my top swordsmen with me.Konk: Thank you, Master!Bloth: And Konk, too.Konk: Aww.
The Dark Dweller and Thralls
The Dark Dweller
- Bigger Bad: Though if Bloth get all the 13 Treasures, he'll be able to control it to conquer the world.
- Eldritch Abomination