who first discovers her magical powers during the purge when she starts throwing stones at the magicians. They pass through the magician's shield. Since all magicians are supposed to be part of the Guild, which she does not want to join, and since she is convinced that the Guild wants to kill her, she goes into hiding. Her friend Cery convinces the Thieves to help hide her. She is eventually captured by the Guild and gets trained as a magician.
- Action Girl: She fights and manages to kill a good few Ichani during the Ichani Invasion.
- Black Magician Girl: By the third book, she is one of the most powerful and skilled magical fighters in the Guild. She also fits this trope literally, after training from Akkarin.
- Battle Couple: With Akkarin
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength
- Dude Magnet: Hoo boy, where do we start...Cery and Dorrien both have their eyes on her at parts in the trilogy, and some male students in the third book try to convince her to come out on dates so she might fall for them. And of course, Akkarin.
- Healing Hands: Her chosen career path is to be a Healer. While this is still her favorite job, in the end she finds herself with a different duty.
High Lord Akkarin
The Guild's High Lord, Sonea saw him preforming black magic
while sneaking into the Guild with Cery. She doesn't understand what she sees, but when Adminstrator Lorlen reads her mind he knows what Akkarin is doing. Revealed to be Good All Along in The High Lord, and forms a May-December Romance with Sonea.
Sonea's close friend, he finds himself infatuated with her during her time in the slums and in the University. He is quick-witted, and a skilled street fighter, attributes necessary to his line of work first as a pickpocket, but later as a Thief.
- Demoted to Extra: Becomes this in The Novice. The High Lord has him become a main character again though.
- Embarrassing First Name: Sort of. His full name is 'Ceryni' which he hates being called by.
- Goal in Life: Has a dream to set foot within every building in Imardia. He actually accomplishes this in the last book, sneaking into the palace during the Ichani invasion.
- Loveable Rogue
- These Hands Have Killed: He sets up a trap to lure an Ichani into an alleyway during the invasion, where several thieves stab him. The problem? Magic users explode when they have energy left in their dead bodies. The resulting explosion killed not just the thieves, but also several hiding in the nearby houses. He accepts what he did but wishes he hadn't been so foolish.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To Sonea